Scaff steps (1 Viewer)

SWIFTY

Reaction score
Our supervisor turned up on site the other day and handed us our new shiny scaff steps, we had a toolbox talk on the subject and off he went into the distance in his little van.
When we finished for the day we chucked our belts, harnesses etc in the boot only to find that it was physically impossible to fit two of these in the boot of a BMW 3 series. I did manage to get them on the back seat ( nappa leather a 2 grand option when new)
How does everyone else manage when using a car for transport ?

Never tried gettin them in a car, but tomorrow i have our new 18ton drop bed to put them on!!!!

about 30 5fts on the back seat but you would have to leave the steps in the house.

Cant leave the steps mate do you know how much they cost?!!!:nuts::D

looks like stuck with the BMW !
:laugh:

excuse my ignorance

whats a scaff step?

is it something to do with the way we walk

It probably will affect the way we walk in the long term

I did not carry any sort of materiels in my car,once had a right set too when I demanded and got payment for taking 20 double's to finish a job.

Our supervisor turned up on site the other day and handed us our new shiny scaff steps, we had a toolbox talk on the subject and off he went into the distance in his little van.
When we finished for the day we chucked our belts, harnesses etc in the boot only to find that it was physically impossible to fit two of these in the boot of a BMW 3 series. I did manage to get them on the back seat ( nappa leather a 2 grand option when new)

We treat them as a scaffold materials and they go out on the wagon. Having said that vertually all our work is off wagons so i can see your point if you have to get your self to the job and the steps are personal issue.

I did hear from our supplier that a company had to buy vans for the scaffs as they refused to carry them in there cars!

Don't fancy carrying anything in the motor, and you must have picked the worst one in a bmw. The steps go in the back of the Kangoo along with the drill, pull tester, board retainers, cable ties, sign board, hand tools, ppe and cheese butties. Sometimes there is even room for the boy's.:rolleyes:

KEEP THE FAITH

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae9YyBwfB0w&feature=player_detailpage"]YouTube - Dancing at the workplace Northern soul style[/ame]

Last edited:

As I have said in previous posts we have been using steps for over a year,not on every site only when the client insists.The whole firm had to do a half day course on using them,don't really know if this is part if the new legislation.When each gang was issued with a set we were told to carry them in our own cars,no chance,one they won't go in the boot,two your not insured for carrying them,three they belong to the firm,so it's their responsibly to get them to your place of work.I also believe they have one real flaw,small scaffs struggle to reach the handrail this must put more strain on the upper body.They seem to be designed for people over six foot!!!I am about five foot ten ins and it is a stretch getting the tube in.I wonder if there was any testing or research done before the introduction of the step system ?

The SCCR has asked the HSE to look into the strain on the body using these steps. we feel the one without the steps should be banned!

Have used the steps myself now... Im 6ft and can only just reach the height needed for the guardrail.

There is also no way that it is safer topping a tube off these tiny steps with the topping point at least 1m up than doing it off a fully boarded lift with the topping point at my feet. Espcially topping with a long, its not always practical to have the standards laid out so there is always a tube to attach a handrail (e.g towers)

the platform without the ladder is a total pain in the ass mate,totally agree bad bit of kit.

Top Bottom