from a joke to reality (1 Viewer)

brandy

Reaction score
seems that every year or so there is a new H/S regulation that you need to be trained up for, I used to joke that you'll have to do a course to climb a ladder next. Well today I was off work due to the snow and came across on the internet the Ladder Association and it appears that anyone who uses a ladder in the course of their work requires competency training.Course duration 4-6 hours. There is also a ladder inspection course. duration 1 day, but to do this course you must have successfully completed the first course.Tickets will be issued for (A) Competency) (b) Inspection. It's not free, and I'm wondering what the next joke is going to cost. Certainly wont be laughing again.

think youl find that organisation is part of PASMA

looking at the state of some lads boots maybe a boot inspection ticket would be in order :unsure:

please dont be giving them any more stupid ideas.we have enough to bear now.:wacko:

looking at the state of some lads boots maybe a boot inspection ticket would be in order :unsure:
Now theres an earner, You might get a good deal if you send the lads with rigger boots, The lace up course would probably be longer.

seems that every year or so there is a new H/S regulation that you need to be trained up for, I used to joke that you'll have to do a course to climb a ladder next. Well today I was off work due to the snow and came across on the internet the Ladder Association and it appears that anyone who uses a ladder in the course of their work requires competency training.Course duration 4-6 hours. There is also a ladder inspection course. duration 1 day, but to do this course you must have successfully completed the first course.Tickets will be issued for (A) Competency) (b) Inspection. It's not free, and I'm wondering what the next joke is going to cost. Certainly wont be laughing again.

It sounds like a tough course.

We've argued with Bovis recently that our ladders form part of a complete structure so don't need individual tags or inspection certs.

They were fine with that.

I have to have a ladder register on the pharma plants, size, location, and numbered. colour code changes every 6 months. Do our own inspection, I mean how hard can it be.

Had to erect a small bridge scaffold across a brook about 10 inches deep for the Environment agency. I knew the RAMS had to include fall protection and Life jackets, no boat unbelievably. But they turned up on a saturday morning to be told they couldnt start work before we had certifcates in place to confirm training in life jacket use.

Had to erect a small bridge scaffold across a brook about 10 inches deep for the Environment agency. I knew the RAMS had to include fall protection and Life jackets, no boat unbelievably. But they turned up on a saturday morning to be told they couldnt start work before we had certifcates in place to confirm training in life jacket use.
Thats bureaucracy gone to bureauCRAZY.

Last edited:
I have to have a ladder register on the pharma plants, size, location, and numbered. colour code changes every 6 months. Do our own inspection, I mean how hard can it be.

We used to do a ladder inspection chart but gave up on it.
The time taken to try and keep it up together just isnt worth the hassle and wont prove anything in the event of an accident.
Like an MOT, you can sign something off as safe when inspected but whos to say what happens to it in a day or two?

We had over 1000 ladders on our register so trying to track down every one of those was a pain in the watsit.
If a site insists on some sort of inspection record then we set something up for that individual situation. Everyone is happy with that so for.

Dave.

We had the same situation dave, but you can get individual ladder tags for these projects so much easier.

I received an e-mail yesterday offering a HALF DAY harness inspection coarse Half a minute maybe, THE LUNATICS ARE RUNNING THE ASYLUM

I'm in fear for my life here but if you do need any ladder tags and checklists give me a buzz as we developed them (same thing for scaffold, MEWP, harness) etc. Personally, I agree that the need to have training on how to use a ladder sounds crazy, but then again if you look at the amount of deaths/injuries resulting from ladder falls you could argue there is some logic in the madness.

That said, if you just decide not to employ total idiots then I don't see the need (or is there a law to prevent you discriminating against idiots)?

Anyhows you can find details on the tag systems at Good To Go : Introduction if at all interested.

Top Bottom