Man in fatal fall at Swansea Marina had been hospitalised 14 times in 15 years

SF Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
A MAN who fell four storeys to his death from a block of flats in Swansea Marina while adjusting scaffolding had been hospitalised 14 times since 1995, an inquest heard.

Russell Samuel, 40, lost his fight for life two days after plunging 19 metres during the construction of the city's Meridian Quay complex.

Yesterday, a four-day hearing into his death began at Swansea Guildhall— with jurors being told that Mr Samuel, a scaffolder with more than 15 years experience, had suffered a "catalogue" of injuries during his working life.

These included being admitted to hospital with a fractured right hand in 1995, a swollen right knee in 1997 and puncturing his testicle with a metal spike in 2004.Detective Constable Nicky Billingham told coroner Phillip Rogers most of the injuries the deceased sustained during this period were "work related".

The inquest heard that Mr Samuel, of Gilfach Goch, Rhondda, had followed in his father's footsteps and began working in the building trade after leaving school at 16.

After obtaining a certificate in advanced scaffolding in 2006, he started work at Meridian Quay in March the following year.

The jury was told that on January 22, 2008, he was dismantling scaffolding at an apartment block, adjacent to the Marina Tower, called Ferrara Block B.

Ann-Marie Orrells, of the Health And Safety Executive, said Mr Samuel had been dismantling scaffolding on the fourth floor prior to his fatal fall.

"The scaffolding was being taken down ready for the stairs and roof to be finished," she added.

At around midday, Mr Samuel, who was wearing protective clothing and a safety harness, fell down a shaft which was due to house the Eastern stairwell in the building.

Mr Rogers said the deceased suffered multiple facial injuries — including a fractured skull.

The inquest is set to continue today.

Source: This Is South Wales

Very sad that a fellow scaffolder lost his life , but 14 accidents in 15 years kinda makes you wonder if the poor guy should have considered a career change

cats only have 9. still yet another tragedy within the industry.

always sad to hear this.. but i think all of us have, at some point in the past worked with a clumsy clot always injuring themselves.. thats why we have to look out for each other

Thats a lot of injuries... I would've called it quits after the testicle one! RIP :(

sad news about scaff in swansea, R.I.P. must not have clipped off, me personnal not a lover of harness, after this it makes you think. keep safe..

Top Bottom