Scaff steps

1969scaff

Reaction score
Has any one been useing them on a regular basis?We did a big job in the city centre last year and the main contractor insisted we used them,felt a right pratt,got some stick off fellow scaffs walking past.Only used them a couple of times since but we are using them on a big job in Oldham,so are they supposed to be used all the time now?Not seen any other firms useing them.On the course to use them the instructor said they where being used in London with the scaffs carrying them with them from job to job on the tube!!MY ARSE!!!

We are having to use them on our sites now, they are not to bad but after scaffolding for 28 years they are not good for the image, there is no choice it's either the steps or a system advanced guard rail which is even more of a pain. times are changing lol

been using them for near 6months on the olympics,got used to them now.were not allowed to hemp from them,also as for scaffs carrying them from job to job thats fantasy.ps youmust be clippedon before you climb up a step lol.

That's another thing,we still have harness with the lanyards that are 2mts ?So what use are they?Should we have the short lanyards?Plus boarding out from the lift below,what a pain,more stress and strain on your body,we also have to put five transoms to a board on any job!

you just know that a short (1 metre) restraint on your lanyard will come in or possibly an inertia reel, thats what im guessin will happen anyway!

all this extra work and we are still expected to get the same amount of scaffold erected . iv been told this week that if we dont do enough we will lose hours , to me this is price work , this is coming from a scaffold company that regularly boasts of having a great safety record and is one of the biggest in the country . i am all for doing a good days work but when you start rushing the job on worrying about the hours going down then safety suffers , if not goes out the window completely . people have to realise you cant put up a perfect job , work totally safely and still put up massive amounts . its not possible .

george roberts and generation do them.

the prices differ depending on the type of step.

i would recommend the step which has the ladder going fully to the boarded lift its a lot more versatile but is around £150.00!

all this extra work and we are still expected to get the same amount of scaffold erected . iv been told this week that if we dont do enough we will lose hours , to me this is price work , this is coming from a scaffold company that regularly boasts of having a great safety record and is one of the biggest in the country . i am all for doing a good days work but when you start rushing the job on worrying about the hours going down then safety suffers , if not goes out the window completely . people have to realise you cant put up a perfect job , work totally safely and still put up massive amounts . its not possible .

I totally agree Allan mate, do they think we go to work for fun? We work to put food on the table for our families, and we have pride in our abilities to erect a safe sound scaffold structure, for others to be able to safely work off to provide for their families.

Safety gone mad.

Hi guys,

Worse than Scaffsteps. My contractor has to erect/dismantle using the sequencial method . Fully boarded, handrailed x 2, toe boarded out every 2m to full height. Advanced handrailing, wear full body harness, + 2 x "Y" type lanyards and a shock absorber with breaker clips, nomex coveralls, hard hat, boots, glasses, gloves, ear defenders. Plus spanners, belt, blob of course and guess wot the Budgets gone out of the window already (NO WONDER with all the gear they have to wear and all the gear thats goes into a simple 4 lift tower they cant move) and still 12 months to go...luv it. Oh yes, the budgets my fault according to the client who is the biggest Oil and Gas producer in the world. Not all that bad though I am in Thailand :).

Keep safe
Doddle.

You are allowed to advance tunnel. All the toppers can then be done from the boarded section. You do not have to carry a step up device & you can progress the scaffold a lot quicker.

This was covered in our last HSE meeting.

We are looking into producing a video & guideline to show this method.

Stewart Quinney
SCCR
Chairman

We use them for the system scaffold, which has been working a treat surprisingly enough, haven't really given them a fair crack of the whip yet on the t&f as I really don't fancy hemping over a guard rail although others have told me it's not that bad. I prefer to use the advance tunnelling system when erecting tube as mentioned above.

Slide that alley hand-rail celticbhoy, no reason why you can't.

no chance you got benchmark,galliford try and bovis lend lease standing over us,cant even sneeze.

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

we askd could we do the advance they said no as our method statements would need altered and that they are happy with the steps performance.

Aye fair point, but legally it's perfectly acceptable. It would be nice if these guys invested in a bit of training for their agents to understand tg20 and sg4 and every other guidance note out there for that matter.

True, but it would be nice if they new that it didn't have to exactly replicate the nice wee drawing in the big book as it's only one example of how to comply and not an exhaustive list. I suppose their would be no fun in that though.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom