Friction Clamp

Garry Adams

Reaction score
Just thought I'd Post a few Images I took this afternoon at DSL Yard Aberdeen---They may be of interest to those who have not yet worked with them.

Attachments

• STA60574.jpg
    STA60574.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 173
  • STA60575.jpg
    STA60575.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 167
  • STA60580.jpg
    STA60580.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 169
  • STA60582.jpg
    STA60582.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 160
friction clamp

whats its purpose gary, never seen one before, is it just another type of anchor?

Last edited:
KB

They are used to wrap around celindrical steel work---I'v used them on Offshore Installations and Semi-Subs---the pics arna very clear but---basicly the wrap round the steel with the chain and the tension via a screw---fix a tube on the fitting that are welded on to the clamp---then fix punsions to the Tube---Im goin back up to DSL 2moro to get better images---

Who's in your squad M8 ?---is Masson your Forman or Richie ?

Phil

I must say that I have not used them in the North Sea for quite some time---this is primeraly due to the cessation of New Hook-up Projects in the Sector and the progression of new Engineering and Fabrication Designs and advancements, i.e. FPSO, Sub sea Wellhead Umbilical Systems, ect---

I used them for erecting walk ways on the steel jackets, this allowed access to the four main butts of legs of the jacket, the Main topside then being craned and spudded into the leg butts and then welded. there may be a case to re-introduce the Friction Clamp for the De-Commissioning of the Steel Jackets---I still think that they have a role to play and an option worthy of consideration to the Design of Scaffold Structures.

Garry...

Hi all

Thought you may like to know that the friction clamp is still alive and kicking. We sell them to Cape, Debs etc, we also service them, I have added a link below, if anyone needs info on friction clamps please feel free to give me a shout

Marc - Scaffolding Supplies Limited

Friction Clamps at Scaffolding Supplies

Hi all

Thought you may like to know that the friction clamp is still alive and kicking. We sell them to Cape, Debs etc, we also service them, I have added a link below, if anyone needs info on friction clamps please feel free to give me a shout

Marc - Scaffolding Supplies Limited

are they as popular now? or rare for companys to buy? just interested coz never used one for a few years now, regards scootay

Hi Garry , Do you know or can you find out what is the safe working load on a froction clamp for me.?

Also do you have a better photo of the friction clamp , i would appreciate anything of that nature.

Thanks
outward bound

Friction Clamps - S.W.L.

Re safe working load, we have them tested to 2.25 tons, you will find a data sheet on the link below, the SWL is based on the chain strength, its a very grey area with regard to SWL and testing specs, these were designed long before any of the current regs came into force. The main thing is that you torque them up, whilst hanging from the pipe rack, with the north sea swelling, in a froce 9 gale etc....
Hope this helps, Marc

If anybody knows of any kicking about in the corner of their yards let me know as we are always on the lookout for more.

outward bound

I was going to tell you to contact SS, however, I see that he has beat me to the punch---

SS

I posted a few images of the Friction Clamp a few weels ago---and as it happens I found then stashed away in a corner of the Yard---they were back loaded from an Offshore Installation a few years ago and are in need of some TLC, looks like they would scrub up nicely, a re-furb and will be as good as new---what sort of proce (ball park figure) are you looking at---there is at least 4, no rubber collars though...

A handy peice of kit by the way

Garry...

Re Friction Clamps

Good Morning

From the photos you posted, we would offer £ 25 each, let me know if this is any good.

When you say there are no rubber collars, do you mean the sleeve on the chain ?

Let me know, thanks

Marc

Friction Clamps : Images

SS

Have you viewed Al's images of the Friction Clamps in-situ ?.

Is there a big demand for the friction Clamp and if so is the demand satified ?.

With the collaps of the U.K. Manufacturing Base, who if anyone Manufactures them now ?

Garry...

Friction Clamps

Not seen Al's pics, can you point me in the right direction

The main demand for the friction clamp is overseas, they seem to be specified by UK designers, but most overseas companies do not have a clue as to what they are, or how to size the chain length, this should be wraped round twice ie loop the loop.

No one still manufactures these, we have looked at getting them manufactured but the labour cost puts the clamps at over £ 300 without the chain!

We keep picking them up here and there, our biggest market is refurb/service of friction clamps, apart from MacDonald Scaff in Inverness I don't know of anyone else that keeps spares etc.

Let me know if you come accross any, thanks, Marc

SS

Scroll to the bottom of the Main Page or access Al he is Listed in the Members List. Nice images of a hanger---good promo material :idea:

Just for a matter of interest, how many Scaffolding Companies are actualy using Friction Clamps out there...

Update on Friction Clamps
We seem to have exhausted the suppy of secondhand friction clamps and now have them manufactured from the original GKN drawings etc
Just supplied 200 nos to BIS up in Shetland for BP, also Cape in Aberdeen.
If anyone needs pics etc drop me a line
Thanks

Just for a matter of interest, how many Scaffolding Companies are actualy using Friction Clamps out there...

Last time I used one was on the Montrose spider deck in 94. Never seen one since

Anyone want to buy the friction burn on my knees from backscuttling the wife ?

gary do you have any info on the frictio clamps, i have been on google not much help.

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

please send some pics.

Laurence

PM me you e-mail address and I'll send the Technical Data I have

Garry...

Attachments

• fc2.jpg
    fc2.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 19
  • frt-clamp2.jpg
    frt-clamp2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom