Fort Mcmurray greetings (1 Viewer)

spikex

Reaction score
Hi my fellow tube monkeys. Just found this forum and look forward to learning more about the trade here. While I have only been scaffolding for a year, I have spent 10 years in private carpentry, which has helped me really find a niche in scaffolding in Alberta.
Some people think Im a little weird because I love this work, there's nothing I'd rather be doing except maybe writing for a living. Aside from that, this is what I intend on doing for the rest of my professional career.
Right now I am at Albian sands in fort mcmurray, and look forward to going home to my family.
So in conclusion, cheers brothers!

hiya mate

hey thats pretty cool there is someone from alberta here.

ive been chasing to work over there for ages emailed a couple of guys from ledcor who were very helpfull that i have gotta get in touch with in may.

is there many brits over there.

Welcome spikeex
I thought Alberta was a shampoo or something (only joking, UK humour),
Nice to chat to a scaff from over the pond.
Paddy

Hello mate, Looks like i'm heading back out to Canada in the next few months due to a joint effort between The International and cmaw with regards to them seeking special dispensation from the government to give us a special work permit. Been a long wait but looks like i'm going back.

Are you doing 21 on or 18 on mate? What about L.O.A how much are they paying at Albian? Is it in the Camp or are you providing your own accommodation?

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

hey thats pretty cool there is someone from alberta here.

ive been chasing to work over there for ages emailed a couple of guys from ledcor who were very helpfull that i have gotta get in touch with in may.

is there many brits over there.

Yes mate, there's quite a few

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome! To answer the questions, here we go:
right now we are doing only 12 and 2, we are in the new construction area. The guys over in the froth section of the mine are doing 24 on 4 off. Iam staying in camp, L.O.A is non existant out here for now, but rumor has it that it's coming back. Im unionized, and the ledcor guys get about $500 every turnaround to pay for travel, but no double time or pension, which I get as per the union agreement.
As for Brits, I can't say there's any that i know of. Plenty of Newfie and French around tho. I'm first generation Canadian on both my mom and dads side from England if that counts, I have the teeth to prove it! :D

Last edited:
Spikex,

Welcome mate, my big Sister lives in your neck of the woods and what fine place to live it is too! She's been in Calgary for about 13 years now. Are you Red Seal or with the local Carpenter's union?

Scaff: there is a lot of work cracking off up there mate. I know ExxonMobil are setting up shop again, so there'll be an influx of petrochem construction work happening. There's a tight little ex-pat community there, mainly our Brothers north of the border.

Cheers,
Phil.

Morning Chap!

Some interesting stuff. What are you writing about? I'm just settling down to do a few chapters myself, but need more coffee first!

Hi Spikex and Welcome To The Scaffolders Forum!

Regards

SF Admin

Well, for now the writing is put on hold while I'm working in camp. When I'm home I do writing for my community newsletter, just social happenings, construction notices and opinion pieces. I also do fan fiction with transformers, and sci-fi/fantasy short stories. I have yet to be published with any fiction though.
Yes, work is going banannas over here. I haven't heard about exxon mobile yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do show up. Syncrude is supposed to be shutting down, and word is they are going to be somewhere around 12000 tradesmen short this year.
There's going to be more work than a guy can shake a stick at. An estimated 40% of our hall is supposed to be retiring in the next ten years, plus with the Hybernia oilfield feilds opening up off the east coast, a lot of the guys from Newfoundland will be going home, leaving a huge worker shortage. Also Saskatchewan is supposed to be opening up their oilsands in the next ten years or so.
Even though I supplied proof of hours for over 8 years, they still put me as a second year carpenter. Which is ok with me because I would rather take the schooling instead of being one of those journeymen who don't really know what their doing. I'll finish carpentry after I get my scaffolding ticket, then go red seal, which is really just a inter-provincial licence over here.

I didnt think you could go red seal with scaffolding, well you cant in B.C anyways, we enquired about it last year but was told it was not possible.

As a proper carpenter though or as a steel monkey? The difference is, well you know the difference. I worked with so many guys that could build citys out of wood but when it came to steel they were in a different league to us brits ie. useless. Just had an interesting call not 5 mins ago with the brotherhood in BC, things are looking mighty good for me and my pal. Could be in Alberta within 4 weeks. Policy has changed again since i left in may, they are bringing so many yanks upto the north because there is a major shortage. Expect an influx of brits in the near future.

If anyone wants help in possibly working out there drop me a PM and i'll fill you in on the details.

Chris

Re

Fort Mcmurray is a city in North of Canada in provinces of Alberta
The vast tar sands of Alberta in Canada hold oil reserves six times the size of Saudi Arabia's. But this 'black gold' is proving a mixed blessing for the frontier town of Fort McMurray, fuelling both prosperity and misery. As the social and environmental toll mounts, Aida Edemariam reports on the dark side of a boom town.It is possible to have a very good life in Fort McMurray

I had two brothers that were out there one for 35yrs but there back in the Uk now,they made there money and came back here.He had a little in stunt in Pincher Creek what a little hole that was.Shame about Syncrude thats been there for donkeys years my sister in law worked there for the whole time she was there.Well most of the people that i know will have jumped the Border over to the US this time of year and will be in Arizona by now getting a little sunshine.

Its 40 below got a heater in my truck and im off to the Rodeo...

Last edited:
smilies-34751.png

Hi spike, I'm new on here too and am interested in workin in fort mac, my uncle returned to britain 3 yrs ago after 30 yrs there tho his last 24 months were in pinchy creek, a little out the way to say the least. I'm a contractor over here but am looking to compliment my advanced scaffolding qual with some estimating training and hopefully move up the management ladder eventually. Do you have any tips on how to start looking for work or sponsor's over there pal? Our Alan was in health and safety so i'll be knockin on his door again soon. Many thanks and good luck

Top Bottom