Boxing out Beams for System Scaffold (1 Viewer)

celtic

Reaction score
Is there a rule of thumbe when it comes to boxing out a beam for modular scaffold?
It seems to me that if you were to top and bottom chord where the modular puncheon comes off the beam and section brace near enough aswell as to have room to work the beam should,nt twist away?

some modular kit is 3m+ between standards, it seems a waste to put a load of gear in to restrain nothing but add time and load to the job.

Is this right or not?:wondering:

Is there a rule of thumbe when it comes to boxing out a beam for modular scaffold?
It seems to me that if you were to top and bottom chord where the modular puncheon comes off the beam and section brace near enough aswell as to have room to work the beam should,nt twist away?

some modular kit is 3m+ between standards, it seems a waste to put a load of gear in to restrain nothing but add time and load to the job.

rule of thumb, 2.4m on bottom cord 1.2m on top, for run of the mill jobs

jakdan,

thanks for the response.

does the load point not have any bearing in how the beam is boxed? i.e. every 10ft instead of every 4ft as with regular t & f scaffolds if you are boarding straight off the beam?

Don't quote me on this Celtic, but when we first started using ally beams we had every brace on it you could imagine. To be honest I just followed on from what we used to do with ladder beams. Then we did a couple of design jobs with 5 lifts on a beam without a single brace on it, it did have another beam above it as well but I thought if you can do it to carry five lifts then surely you can do it if your boarding the beam direct. This was all before the tg20 thing, so as I said don't quote me.

AOM,

We are using Apollo X Beams and they're a great beam, but I'm still thinking the beam only gets a chance to react where the load goes into it, if you brace it there how can it roll over?

For me i would rather over do it with gear than not out enough gear in to beam work , all to often you see unit beams with just transoms going across the top cord and thats it , again cowboys

Paul,

I am with you 100% on top, bottom, section and plan but the load on modular comes into the beam through the standard not through the transom or top chord brace, surely you need to box out at the load points if using system gear?

Paul,

I am with you 100% on top, bottom, section and plan but the load on modular comes into the beam through the standard not through the transom or top chord brace, surely you need to box out at the load points if using system gear?

celtic,

if you put the dims of the job on, the loading and where you are boarding i am sure one of the design boys will give you the brief spec, by the way dont over do it, it looks sh:t and you look like a cowboy.
a favorite of my previous engineer (depending on job) would be 2.4m on bottom cord 1.2m on top, with top cord braced, standard stuff, but he could also go mental depending on the length and weight going on it, sometimes off one standard sometimes off two, braced top and bottom, box tie here box tie there, back tied every standard, it all depends on the job, keep it as simple as possible.

As usual, it all comes down to design, although it should be easy enough to get some generic designs based on max. span, nr. of lits, etc.

However, the bracing is to stop the beams buckling / twisting / spreading apart. As a result, the closer the centres of the bracing, the more load the beams can carry. Most load tables given by the manufacturers are based on 1m centres, although I have seen a couple with alternative loads for 1.5m and 2m centres.

Scaffold Beam Boxing

Hi All

The reason for the ties to the top of the beam are to make the compressive effective length to the top beam chord smaller. This will provide a greater axial load capacity to the top chord, and it is less likely to buckle and make the beams stronger.

For example a 780 Ubix Ali beam has a safe bending moment of 36.50 kNm with the ties at 1.0m centers, but is reduced to 15.0 kNm with them at 2.0m centers.

The support of the system standards should be fixed to the top and bottom chords of the beams to transfer the loads to the beams.

Further check transoms should be fitted if the load from above exceeds the safe slip on the two fittings

Hope this helps on this subject.

Top Bottom