Portfolio for Part 2 (1 Viewer)

Up North

Reaction score
I know I am registered for NVQ Level 2 and One day assesment, but before I can do this I need to provide the 'evidence' portfolio. What exactly is this and what should I include in it ?

Hi Up North

You should have been issued by your training provider a folder telling you what evidence they are looking for but if not the following is required of work you have carried out in line with a Part 2 i.e. Cantilevers, Truss Outs, Bridges etc.

1) Photographs
2) Method Statements and Risk Assessments (That you have signed is even better)
3) Hand Over Certificates
4) Drawings & Calcs
5) Time Sheets
6) Loading Lists

Anything basically that proves you have done this work, and you will require 3 pieces of evidence per project.

You portfolio then needs to be initialed and signed by a competent person within the scaffolding industry (Usually your supervisor or similar)

I know it seems like a daunting task but we have 3 lads on the NVQ route and what we do with them is leave their folders out next to our daily job sheets and let them take copies of the documentation that is involved with the projects they undertake on a daily basis so that their portfolio is built up gradually and there is not a big rush at the end.

Finally if your not sure, ring your training provider they will tell you what you need and draw up an action plan with you if you are struggling a bit.

Hope that helps

Good Luck!!

Paul

Paul
I must congratulate you's on how you manage your 'Trainees portfolio's, there are so many times when the guys that need their evidence to gradually build up their portfolio, have to beg,scream,kick and threaten before zero hour arrives.

As you have informed Up North, there has to be a verifiable, cross reference of data collated, to enable the candidate to successfully produce a comphrehensive portfolio that covers all the Scaffolding tasks that needs to be covered.

Up North, keep a copy or Two of your Portfolio, either scanned and printed,disc, memory stick or all of the above. I did my Advanced, and my portfolio got lost:notrust: had to gather it all again.

Good luck mate

Paddy

Paul
I must congratulate you's on how you manage your 'Trainees portfolio's, there are so many times when the guys that need their evidence to gradually build up their portfolio, have to beg,scream,kick and threaten before zero hour arrives.

We still have to remind the lads that it is up to THEM to collect the evidence, we will make anything available to them but it got to the stage where I was putting it together for them rather than just signing it off which was taking a considerable amount of my time up, thats why we put our system in place and it seems to be working.

Paul
I agree m8, in a big Scaffolding company, this issue will be resolved, however, further down the food chain, in a SME or family based scaffolding concern, it will be extremely hard for any potential part 2 scaffolder to have all the necessary cross referance documentation :-

• Drawings
    Job sheet No's
    Letterheads
    Internal memos etc.

Podger
Great bit of Information there mate.
Would you care to add this to the Study group, under Lifelong learning heading.
Regards
Paddy and all members at the Study group.

That looks much the same as the assessed route of entry course that I did a few years back, everyone said it was gonna be hard as hell because it had a high failure rate.

I found out the high failure rate was due to muppets with very little experience trying to bluff their case at the game, any scaffolder with a couple of years under his belt at tube and fitting could sail through it as there was nothing very demanding, the 2 most complicated structures being a pavement gantry and a cantilever drop.

Its a pity they've did away with that course as there are still a load of scaffs out there with decades of experience that now need to start off back at Part 1

Anyway, Good luck in your training Up North

Tinheads m8
I also did the Assessed route of entry (ASRE) for my Advanced, however, i still had to provide a Portfolio in order to get my NVQ 3

Paddy

Will do Paddy , a pal of mine did this course a couple of years ago when it first came out , it involves one day on site with an assessor and two days at the training center doing practical assessment, the assessor takes photos and compiles the portfolio on behalf of the candidate over the 3 days and submits it to the NVQ Verifier to sign off.

The only draw back is expense as the on site day bumps up the cost.

Tinheads m8
I also did the Assessed route of entry (ASRE) for my Advanced, however, i still had to provide a Portfolio in order to get my NVQ 3

Paddy

Paddy

Dunno why that was, could be simply because of the more complicated structures or maybe it depends on the training provider, most likely the former i'd think

On a lighter note i like to say i'm a Basic ARSE as opposed to an ASRE

Stef

Stef
If i can remember correctly (over 10 years ago) i think we had a choice of 4 options :-
1) Advanced course Taught 10 days
2) Advanced course Taught with NVQ 3 10 days plus Portfolio.
3) ASRE 5 days plus test paper
4) ASRE with NVQ 3 5 days test paper and Portfolio.

Practical :-
1) As per drawing, erect and strike Vertical shore.
2) as per drawing, erect and strike Hexagon scaff 2 x 1.8 lifts with foot tie.
3) As per drawing, erect and strike, Raking shore 6 x 1.8 lifts with foot tie
4) As per drawing, erect and strike, Temporary roof with Mod beams.
5) erect Birdcage,2 x 1.8 lifts then as per drawing erect Flying shore on top of it, and calculate the ammount of camber needed to support the flying shore.

Paddy

Paddy

We never had any choices lol

Basic ASRE & NVQ level 2 - 5 day course + test paper

Practical erect and dismantle as per drawings for:

Static tower
Independent with return
Birdcage
Truss out
Putlog
Roof Stack(access tower and saddle)
Pavement Gantry
Cantilever Drop

Think that was it, memory isn't what it was

Any errors marked against you, 3 errors made you unsuccessful on the course but you could try again in 6 months, any safety violations (not hooked on etc.) meant removal from the course without the try again option

Stef

Last edited:
Stef
ffs sounds like SAS selection course,lol.

Paddy

Sounds a bit like that yeah, but you know as well as i do that nobody with a bit of experience should muck up any of the Basic one's.

As for your course, don't think i'd have had too much trouble workin off the drawings except for the flying shore, no idea how to calc the camber to get it levelled, thats where training comes in I suppose LOL

aye i remember now, when we had the job done, the gaffer/tutor assessor bloke came round to measure everything 1.8 centre to centre on std's and ledgers. then he had a little toffee hammer thing, knocking the fittings to see if they were wrapped, if he found 1 that was your final warning, a 2nd loose fitting throughout the course you were booted off NRB lol.

Double to Double on foot ties before the Ratchet was worse than Tatty picking lol:sick:

Paddy

Nvq 3

I got my NVQ 3 last year (got my part 2 in 1988)

Here are the units :

1 Confirm the occupational method of work
2 Confirm work activities and resources for the work
3 Confirm to general workplace safety
4 Develop and maintain good working relations
5 Erect and dismantle complex overhead scaffolds (tube and fitting)
6 Erect and dismantle complex temporary roof scaffolds (tube and fitting)
7 Erect specialized designed scaffolds and rigging
8 Utilize provision for fall arrest

1 2 3 and 4 are general units not exclusive to scaffolding and are more about performing a supervisory role related to your trade.

5 and 6 the two from a choice of the scaffolds covered on the advanced course.

7 Is any scaffold erected to drawing spec

8 Self explanatory

Top Bottom