Jordan Clamp: Review

Garry Adams

Reaction score
I have been aware of this Fall Arrest Accessory since circa 1992---I still have reservations as to its practicality---I have been reviewing the devise and the Patent Technical Data, however, I cannot find any referance to an allocated Slip Test or SWL---has any one got any Data ???.

Garry...

Attachments

• jordan.jpg
    jordan.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 340x273_125372040513188.jpg
    340x273_125372040513188.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 17
jordan clamp

good point, we use them and have give it no thought on the spec on them , will be interested in your feed back.

millwall

They are a good piece of kit, however, to keep within compliance of Anchor Points, Manufacturers Recommendations ( Harnesses and Inertia Reels ) I would expect a Rating of some description to be displayed on the Device :confused:.

I am sure that Anchor Points are Recommended to be Rated at 12.5 Kn :unsure:--- if this is the case and the Devise is Slip Tested at 6.3 then a checker coupler would be required :eek:

Well if somebody is in Conoco Phillips in Immingham they should ask the scaffold co-ordinator Adam Campbell for some figures on it, he did invent it after all

Stef

Good call---Stef and I were discussing the Jordan Clamp yesterday---contributions form Forum Scaffs thankfuly received---especialy Adam H Campbell.

Aye lads

Have been trying to find info also, was reading about the Patent no GB 2360542 case involving the 'Clamp'.

Jordan web-site is also not available anymore:weird:

Paddy

Tried that myself Paddy, could be something stupid like the server being down, I know when i was talking to Adam he was on about a patent violation by a german company, suppose that could have been Plettac

Aye m8 Plettac were cited, and Cape were involved also, there seems a lot of grey areas surrounding this clamp I.E Tech data,Homepage, i did see it once on the NASC Appendix A Interim Guidance, that was a example also with no Guidance either.

Paddy

Paddy M8

Good work M8---you should be in Accident Investigation---you'v got a nose like a blood hound ;)

I remember the company were real cagey about sending copies of any test certs etc on the jordan clamp. This was going back a couple of years now so i don't know if they're still around :blink:

gordy

I still have reservations anchoring to Scaffold Structures, HOWEVER, the Jordon Clamp has advantage and I would utilize it in the right curcumstances...

Garry
We have a number of these I will see if they have anything on them, I'll also see if they came with a certificate of conformity. Watch this space!!!

Scaff

Thanks for that---I would have thought that at least an Inspection I.D. Number and SWL would be in order...perhaps, LOLAR and or PUWER Regs apply...

Garry
After much studying of the markings on our Jordan Clamps I have come up with the following:
CE 0320 - this means "minimum breaking strength of 1500kg" this marking is on the gate
GB2360542 - this relates to the patent, also on the gate
BSEN795 - Relates to Appendix A of BS EN 795:1997 - Protection Against Falls From A Height - Anchor Devices - Requirements & Testing. This is on the eyebolt

Single lanyards are generally used when the area of work is close to a suitable anchor point.
It is a popular misconception that energy absorbing lanyards should not be used for work restraint.
The British Standard Code of practice for selection and use of fall protection equipment in the workplace
(BS 8437:2005) specifies at 8.2.2 that… “an energy absorbing lanyard of the correct length may be used
for restraint provided …it will not be subjected to a force that could cause the energy absorber to deploy
(i.e. a force in excess of 2 kN).

a bit of a can of worms, I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this but there is lots of BSEN cross referencing. The plot thickens!!

Scaff

Thanks for taking time out to deliver what is a very in-depth report on the Jordan Clamp, your researches and Data gathering are most appreciated, I cannot see why it has not been used more extensively---or am I missing something ?---do you use the Jordan Clamp as a matter of course or have they fallen from favour ?...

Scaff
Excellent research m8.

I have issues pending at the minute, not work based, but fellow scaffs of the forum, working with 'Jordan clamps' who also would appreciate that info.

This is why this forum can work:-
1) Knowledge of the 'Job specific' forum members.
2) Confidentiality, regarding user names.
3) Ability to PM ( confidentiality)
4) Network with members
5) lifelong learning/Further Education
6) KNOWLEDGE from threads and posts
7) Cameraderie
8) Feck the rest Scaffs are the best.

Great work Scaff, good to know the Jordan clamp is as strong as a MkiiiA or a B+P.
the thing that puzzled me was "(BS 8437:2005) specifies at 8.2.2 that… “an energy absorbing lanyard of the correct length may be used
for restraint provided …it will not be subjected to a force that could cause the energy absorber to deploy
(i.e. a force in excess of 2 kN)." does that mean you should only need a shock absorbing lanyard where you cannot generate enough load to deploy it?(still pissed here)

And I agree with Paddy on all counts

Jordan Clamps

Hi there
Being in Saudi for 3 weeks now, and finding it difficult to get quality accessories locally.
Before i order, .......
I have only used a jordan clamp once or twice and that was around 2003.

So before i order them for the company here, can you guys tell me if the are worth ordering from the uk.

and do you guys rate the scaff clamp.
the setting out tool.
Many thanx
Derek
(teaching philipine joiners to be scaffolders!!!! lol)

I have been aware of this Fall Arrest Accessory since circa 1992---I still have reservations as to its practicality---I have been reviewing the devise and the Patent Technical Data, however, I cannot find any referance to an allocated Slip Test or SWL---has any one got any Data ???.

Garry...

Just thought i would show you lads what our company have adopted the ''wrappa'' made by spanset , i keep it on my belt good bit of kit.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 39
looks like a small strop , whats it rated at mate

Top Bottom