ROK call in administrators

Unbelievable Hatterscaff, did you get hit? We have had a small amount of material on hire to them for some time now on a wind farm job for Skykon who went to the wall about 2 weeks ago owing Rok about a million according to one site manager. We went to collect our gear as soon as we heard and unbelievably Rok were still trying to finish the job as it was so close to completion and begged us to leave it for a few more day's and promised me payment. To be honest I've heard it all before and kinda expected this news.

Unbelievable Hatterscaff, did you get hit? We have had a small amount of material on hire to them for some time now on a wind farm job for Skykon who went to the wall about 2 weeks ago owing Rok about a million according to one site manager. We went to collect our gear as soon as we heard and unbelievably Rok were still trying to finish the job as it was so close to completion and begged us to leave it for a few more day's and promised me payment. To be honest I've heard it all before and kinda expected this news.

Yes, got paid just last Friday, but that will probably bounce
this one's going to hurt

Fortunatley fell out with them a few years ago , great shame tho when names like that are dissaperaing

Sorry too hear that Hatterscaff, it's never easy when that happens.

Just listening the local news there, it seems Rok were awarded around 18 million of council work just weeks ago. With that amount of work on their books it surely must only be day's before they find a buyer. Either that or questions will need to be asked why a company on their knee's was awarded vast amounts of work without checking how viable a proposition they are or how capable they are at paying their creditors. Finally, have they seen any of the cash from these contracts awarded and what does this mean for these projects now?

well mate they wernt on there knees till they called administrators in , credit ratings aint worth a t o s s

unfortunatly their credit rating was withdrawn a few weeks before they went !

we didnt heed the warnings!

but it was probably too late by then anyway

Just belived the QS, the payments where on the way

Just goes to show, no matter how big the client, anyone can go

My Mate rang up monday and they told him his payment was on its way in the sytem and he would get it and he did tuesday

I know of a couple of firms round our way are owed a few quid. 1's owed £100,000 the other £200,000:eek:

Sorry to hear about this Hatterscaff , its always hard to be owed money and then not to get it :(

Used to do a bit for ROK a while ago and started to pick up a bit of their response works too.

Lucky for us we got everything owed to us a couple of months before they went pop or else they would have had us for about 30k.

Over this year alone we have had companies go on us owing around 100k
Big chunk of money to be owed with not much hope of recovering it.

We had it bad last year Dave, a couple of really sore ones, tightened up on payment schedules and touch wood things have improved slightly. I think it's just the game we are in, more often than not the first on the site and the last to be paid.

Representatives from building services company Rok have been in talks with Bristol City Council after the firm's collapse left contracts in doubt.

The Exeter-based company held a number of contracts with the authority, including one to build 12 new council homes.

Administrators PricewaterhouseCoopers announced 711 job cuts at Rok, which employs about 4,000 people.

Both Rok Plc and Rok Building Limited went into administration this week.

Rok, which has contracts throughout the West, provides building services for councils, schools, housing associations and businesses.
'Prison cell'

Building work at the council's Croydon House in the St Lawrence area of Bristol has been halted, and scaffolding left up.

One resident said she felt like she was living in a "prison cell".

"I'm just depressed, it gets you down," she said.

"You don't see daylight."

A spokesman for Bristol City Council said Rok was one of the main contractors it used to install kitchens, new wiring and windows in its council properties, and for major work to some of its high-rise buildings.

"We have been holding discussions with representatives from Rok as they have withdrawn from all current construction sites," he said.

"However, we are unable at this time to confirm whether they will no longer be carrying out this work for Bristol City Council.

"A statement is expected from the administrators on Monday and we will be reviewing our position."

Source: BBC News

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Builders in Trowbridge, Warminster and Melksham are among businesses across Wiltshire who have been left out of pocket by the sudden collapse of Rok.

The national building firm, which was known for working with housing associations, schools and councils, left many businesses with unpaid debts when it went into administration this week.

Selwood Housing Association contracted Rok to build 49 homes at Prospect Place in Trowbridge, which were well on the way to completion for January when the news broke on Monday.

A spokesperson for the association said: “Work has stopped at our Prospect Place development and we have made the site secure.

“We are talking to Rok’s administrators about their possible solutions.

“We had people due to move into the homes and are keeping them closely informed with what’s going on.

“Rok were appointed as contractors on Prospect Place in February 2009 before there was any doubt over their financial position.

“We have been monitoring the situation since the summer.”

Although Selwood is not owed any money by Rok, many of the sub-contractors who were working on the site are owed tens of thousands of pounds.

Glyn Jenkins, who has run a bricklaying and scaffolding business from Warminster for more than 30 years, is owed more than £50,000.

His firm had 10 men onsite building the Prospect Place homes and has supplied scaffolding for the project.

He said: “The men turned up for work on Monday to be told by site management that the company had gone into administration and to leave. They just gathered as much as they could and left.

“You have got to be a well-established company to deal with something like this. The less established could be taken down by something like this.

“Luckily, I have other contracts but it is still a lot of money to be owed.”

Robert Hunt, Michael Jarvis, Robert Lewis and Jeremy Webb, all of Pricewaterhousecoopers, were appointed as joint administrators when Rok went into administration.

Mr Lewis said: “We have been undertaking a review of the business to see whether its possible to sell. That process is still under way but we are talking to over 75 parties interested in taking parts of the business.

“It’s not going to guarantee contracts will be taken but if we are able to transfer those contracts on to a new party, then those parties would look to complete those projects.”

Source: This Is Wiltshire

If they do manage to find a buyer does that mean the new owners stand good all the debt or do they just buy the contracts?

I thought that Scaffy. It's about time these laws were tightened up to protect the subbies and the men who will be struggling to find work whilst the deals are getting done.

Top Bottom