16 ft boards who remembers them?

Orac

Reaction score
i was chatting with tom p the other day & we were talking about when we started scaffolding, i was telling him when i started it was all single hand rails, no harnesses or helmets & 16 ft boards, anyone remember them or any other intresting scaffolding facts;)

When i started you had to run the gear, if you back chatted you got a slap, there was always the induction of the labourer sat inbetween two scaffs with one stroking your leg! (or was that just me!!!!)

The PPE consisted of no top and a pair of Reebok classics and the brickguard was just the orange roly stuff!

and to top it off TG20 ha the double or triple milk crates!

Last edited:
78 i started, the 2 metre rule for handrail, single handrail above 6'6" no gate on the loading bay:eek: no ladder access gate:eek: no PPE whatsoever, no welfare facilitys, holiday stamp carryon, good and bad springs to mind;)

78 i started, the 2 metre rule for handrail, single handrail above 6'6" no gate on the loading bay:eek: no ladder access gate:eek: no PPE whatsoever, no welfare facilitys, holiday stamp carryon, good and bad springs to mind;)

And yep we had a few 16' boards, plus Half saddles and full saddle bridle fittings:love:

I used to have one of those little green tool bags.

Tool kit consisted of a belt, 2 swing over spanners (one 7/16 & one 1/2) and a bubble. That was pretty much it.

I remember the holiday stamps Paddy. I think it was B&CE who used to run the scheme. Was a very bizarre system as you had to attach the stamps to a form and post them off, if my memory serves me correctly??

it was only a while ago we stopped using 16ft boards

still use the crates on price . i v seen a few old 16 "foot boards lying around yards but dont think i ever used them . i also remember it being acceptable leaving a bit gear so the brickies could erect there own peak lifts and we wouldnt have to go back .

When i started you had to run the gear, if you back chatted you got a slap, there was always the induction of the labourer sat inbetween two scaffs with one stroking your leg! (or was that just me!!!!)

The PPE consisted of no top and a pair of Reebok classics and the brickguard was just the orange roly stuff!

and to top it off TG20 ha the double or triple milk crates!

Sounds about right:)

stripped a job on durham cathedral about 10 year ago, it had been up for about 15 year, it was full of 16 foot boards and half inch sleeves and pins which were nearlly as long, F-----ing nightmare

Well boys what about SPEEDO'S and FLIPFLOPS and would you put your hand up to admit it now?

i remember the 16ft boards and the 26 ft tubes an all you wre lucky to get a slap used to throw fittings at me and we couldnt afford speedos ha ha

Last edited:
yes orac i remember them!!!that would of been when we were a kirks (padiham) them were the days,ha!ha!

lol yep that was the place, kwikstage i remember it well:D

16 ft boards and half inch fittings... wow were alkl getting old,,,most of the guys today dont even understand what your talking about,,,, mind you most of them dont understasnd unload the lorry by hand.... WOT no forklift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was chatting with tom p the other day & we were talking about when we started scaffolding, i was telling him when i started it was all single hand rails, no harnesses or helmets & 16 ft boards, anyone remember them or any other intresting scaffolding facts;)

Dutch Scaffolding ( pronounced ''sty-ger-bow'') .
Is it me or do the stacks of boards look 16' long ??:sick::sick:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNTMbwrVBFI&feature=related]YouTube - Erwin in de steigerbouw[/ame]

Definitely 16ft, apparently there used in Germany and Holland. Was talking to a German scaff who told me they use 4m system standards.

Firm I first worked for had loads of them,but that was back in the early 70's.They had them mainly for boilers in power stations,happy days hand balling them all day,no ally in them days either,any wonder I've got 8ft arms.

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

While I'm on they also had sky hooks for drops, re-in-forcing bars bent into hooks at each end.People think I'm taking the piss when I tell them,think they where 5ft,6ft long.We also did wooden cradles on ropes,now they where scary thing to be in.

Top Bottom