Hong Kong

Amazing stuff havespanners, don't know exactly how true this is, but I worked with a welder who had to supervise this rig we were on getting built in Singapore I think it was. Anyway he wouldn't go up the scaffold to check any of the welds as it looked so dodgy, until one day the crane caught it and pulled it over at 45 degrees or more and when they took the crane off it just sprung back to it's original position. He thought it was brilliant stuff after that and would go on to anything they built.

Not a engineer but I am informed that bamboo is stronger then the normal tube due to the channels inside does anyone know if this is a true fact.

Havespanners I have also got a tech info sheet for a tie bracket for bamboo which looks like more like the hang basket support you have outside your house for the flowers (if you know what I mean), do you have this or would you like a copy? If so PM me

Last edited:
The brackets dont look much, as in strength that is??

ha ha reminds me of the bracket my hang basket is on outside my house ha ha

Yes, I kept staring at it wondering what was holding it up!!
It looks like it comes off the signboard in the photo but it was not on it at all

Redvking posted some photos on a different thread of the same job, but as it was being erected , it is amazing , what the fu** is holding it up :unsure:

Imagine the guys erecting that, Fair play to them. Would'nt like to be on the strip.

Amazing stuff havespanners, don't know exactly how true this is, but I worked with a welder who had to supervise this rig we were on getting built in Singapore I think it was. Anyway he wouldn't go up the scaffold to check any of the welds as it looked so dodgy, until one day the crane caught it and pulled it over at 45 degrees or more and when they took the crane off it just sprung back to it's original position. He thought it was brilliant stuff after that and would go on to anything they built.

Some pictures from Hong Kong

One of the main reasons they use it in that part of the world is because of the fault plane which causes Earthqukes and the bamboo is flexible as well as strong .

Amazing photos there, this is how you strike a bamboo job, Chinese style [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiXY3gaaCxI]YouTube - oh yeah that looks safe chinese nutter dismantles bamboo[/ame]

BOMB IT!

Wow these lads are coming on leaps and bounds, now using plastic for lashings, before long they might even see T&F the way forward.;)

Bamboo is one of the most fastest growing plants in the world growing at 2ft a day, and as previously stated extremely strong. Used for various reasons and commercially grown. The type used in construction an scaffolding is a cheap and renewable material and stood the test of time for 100's if not 1000's of years, so I suppose they must be doing something right, ( horses for courses )

Bamboo is one of the most fastest growing plants in the world growing at 2ft a day, and as previously stated extremely strong. Used for various reasons and commercially grown. The type used in construction an scaffolding is a cheap and renewable material and stood the test of time for 100's if not 1000's of years, so I suppose they must be doing something right, ( horses for courses )

Good points there Brandy.
Maybe can import some and see how the steel lads get on with it!!!!!

Top Bottom