Making Scaffolding Training Video

ZachElwood

Reaction score
Hi, everyone,

My name's Zach. I'm an American, working in Washington State. I work for a company that creates industrial/construction safety training videos. I'm currently working on writing a couple of Scaffolding Safety storyboards. I'm primarily basing them on OSHA regulations, but I want to inject some very useful information in these videos as possible - not just the same generic information you see in every training video.

I came here to primarily read and learn. And if anyone's got any scaffolding safety tips they think are often overlooked in the beginner's training process, let me know. I'm all ears.

Zach

Welcome to the forum Zach

Good luck with the Vid, You have come to the right place for comments

Is it private, company, or state funded

It's a private company. The company is called Convergence Training, based here in Washington State in U.S. We use 3D modeling and animation - that's what we do differently from other training videos. It works very well, in my opinion, for these types of training.

Of course, nothing replaces hands-on experience and training, but these sorts of videos are good for introductory courses and refresher-type training.

hi zach, i am working in the middle east though done 25 years scaffolding in the UK, here we primarily work to OHSA regs but only because we must due to Saudi Aramco who are orientated by the yanks, truth is mate OHSA is not good and about 15 years behind the UK and even use some CITB modules from the 1970's. your average advanced scaffolder in the UK has more scaffold knowledge than some OHSA trained Managers i meet here,
so maybe this is a good place to learn, Gordon.

Hi Zach
I am also working overseas & working to OHSA scaffolding standards, I agree with wgogs BS is a far better standard, but this said I am in need of some information regarding OHSA scaffolding standards, I have found a bit on Google but could do with more, I'd appreciate any information you could give me.

Hi Zach and Welcome To The Scaffolders Forum!

Best Regards

SF Admin

Wgogs - yes, I've heard similar things from some other people regarding OSHA standards in other areas. Anyone want to share their opinions with me on specific areas where OSHA standards are sub-par compared to UK standards?

For our purposes I think the OSHA standards are where we'll start, because at least for the first training courses we produce we'll be focusing on beginning, introductory stuff. But I think we'll probably get into making an advanced course down the road. This is our plan for our forklift training as well - we've got basic safety courses but plan on doing more advanced operational courses.

Thanks for all the feedback. Nice to see this is a pretty active forum. I've visited some similar industrial forums in the past and they were graveyards. Good job, guys. And I really appreciate your responses considering I'm not in the business myself.

Hi all,

Sorry but i dont agree to wgogs and scaff38, Saudi Aramco Scaffolding Handbook (SSH) is based on BS5973 and OHSA. SSH standards is almost typical to those two, the only difference is they are considering the imposed load as (D+4LL) for ledgers/runners and transoms/bearers and P/4 for the Standard/Post compare to 25% in BS5973. Basically you can find the difference in the Slung/Suspended scaffold more than 32sq.m and above 38meters high scaffold which considered as Special Scaffold compare to 50m in BS5973. If you are going to used the tube and fittings for slung scaffold obviously it will fail and limiting the boarded/planked lift for tower scaffold mainly because again of that factor of safety which is 4.

sakuragi !

What are you talking about mate? put your book down and get out the office, what experience do you have in scaffolding ??
bearers ? posts ? runners ? DOH ! thats all typical yank talk ??
try doing 30 years in the industry and i bet you still wont hear any of the above phrases !

ya plonker !!!

Top Bottom