Scaffold Labourers Public Liability Insurance (1 Viewer)

Annie

Reaction score
Hi there, having real problems trying to find a company that does Public Liability Insurance for scaffold labourers. My son has been doing this job for about 6 months now and has been told to take out this insurance, he does work at heights and uses a harness (if this makes a difference?). Would really appreciate any info on which companies might do it.

annie is your son self employed or PAYE employed

if he is PAYE his employer should have insurance

if he is self employed check out the forum sponsors section

More than likely, even if he is a PAYE the employer can or may request they take out their own insurance, due to the negligent act of the employee.
Provided your son is trained and has the relevant documents to support his training, even though he may not hold CISRS cards - he should still be able to purchase Public Liability.

More than likely, even if he is a PAYE the employer can or may request they take out their own insurance, due to the negligent act of the employee.
Provided your son is trained and has the relevant documents to support his training, even though he may not hold CISRS cards - he should still be able to purchase Public Liability.
First I've heard of that.

its usually only sub-contractors that need PLI ,some company's used to stop £3 a week to cover you as they said although iam sure it was just to help them with their premiums , he should be covered by his employer

i have heard for self employed...........but surely not for paye

even self employed whoever i was subbying to was insured on my behalf

see strange to me

It seems strange that an employee should have to take out P/L insurance to cover a supposed negligent act on his or her part. If suppose a scaffolder dropped a tube or fitting which resulted in injury or damage, would the employers insurers argue in court that this was a negligble act by the employee and therefore the claim is against the employee and his insurers.

when i was doing Labour-0nly i had to show my PLI but never when i was working self employed directly for a company , strange one this , think i would question it a bit further before i paid out for it , ask the employer does this mean he is not insured ?

Is he working for Ardmore by any chance? They used to stop me and every other employee 3 quid a week for insurance then demanded we take out PLI as well, I fuc.ked them off not long after the robbing bast.ards

Agree with Philliosmaximus, would check it out. Have never come across this, nor has it ever been suggested to me by broker that the company implement it. Seems totally wrong. Maybe in the case of Annie's son , the firm has all the workers down as self employed which would be illegal.

Thanks for your advice everyone, my son is self-employed and has £3 deducted from his wages for site insurance each week, not sure what that covers and yep, he does work for Ardmore strangely enough!

Will check out the sponsors forum as suggested, thanks again for your help and suggestions. Annie

The 3 quid a week contribution goes to all the biometrics and iris scanners that ardmore have on site !!!

Been checking on the internet and it seems there is no legal requirement to have P.L.I. It seems many firms doing work directly for the public don't have it, as they are unlikely to be asked for it. ( foolish ). However if they employ staff it is compulsory to have employers liability. Wondering if this is why the boy was told he has to take out his own P.L.I.

lot of sound advice already posted

To go back to the Original post

"Hi there, having real problems trying to find a company that does Public Liability Insurance for scaffold labourers. My son has been doing this job for about 6 months now and has been told to take out this insurance, he does work at heights and uses a harness (if this makes a difference?). Would really appreciate any info on which companies might do it. "

a) Public Liability Insurance for scaffold labourers.

I would expect any decent insurance company to supply cover if asked

b) My son has been doing this job for about 6 months

The lad appears to be inexperienced and any insurance will be "loaded"

c) he does work at heights and uses a harness

This is when the alarm bell rings for me, in a nutshell is the lad Competent to perform the tasks asked of him and is the insurance company aware of his level of training/experience

If not any insurance obtained to my mind will be a waste of money

Top Bottom