Virgin Estimator (1 Viewer)

DavidC

Reaction score
Hey folks! Its nice to see a forum strictly dedicated to scaffolding, especially since i'm totally new to this industry. I recently began apprentice work as a Jr. Estimator at Harsco Infrastructure in Trinidad and I can only imagine the wealth of knowledge on this site. So if anyone reading this has any tips, pointers, advice, anything that can help me become a better scaffold estimator I welcome the help.

Ive been told by many that the person im being trained under is a sort of Guru in the industry, having served with SGB for over 30 years. I hope this is true lol.

Thanks anyways ppls

Hello David welcome to the forum mate, some really good lads on here .
what is the name of the guy you are being trained under ?

Alright David welcome mate. Hope all go's well with the new job.

Well philliosmaximus, the guy's name is Ron Bartlett and from what i've observed he's the real deal. Ive only been at this job for a week and I feel smarter already ha.

So far ive covered the basics of normal independent scaffolds, estimating using different methods like linear metre, components, weight, and no. of decking etc. etc. im sure you know all this already. But i will be here often asking for advice on stuff cuz everyday in this job is like a new day learning new things.

So thanks for the response and we'll be in touch.

Welcome david.very good lads on here.just keep plugging away and sooner down the line it will click it is hard when ur a begginer.good luck mate

Hi David C,

Welcome to the forum.
I have been estimating for about 12 years now but I have been in the scaffolding game for 28 years.
Scaffold estimates are based on Materials, Transport, Labour, Site Expenses and last and most important The Profit.
I started pricing using....
a) The Manual Method - 1st working out the material for the full scaffold then putting your hire value to them. Then working out the weight of the materials to work out how many loads on you wagon is to be used then using your hourly rate per load. Then putting your labour value to erect and usually 50% to dismantle (if out of normal working hours are to be used, don't forget to put your NPO hour in). Then work out your site expenses (things you have to pay for to erect the scaffold I.E pavement permit, sheeting purchasing per role and/or netting). Then last of all adding your profit.
b) After you get the hang of that then use a computer with a estimating package on it like CASE, CAD STEP or STRIKE and others that are on the market, I know HARSCO have there own.

Best of luck,
TAC

Last edited:
hi dave youv landed lucky rons widely regaurded as one of the if not the best in the game,sgb are lucky still to have his talents as so many good men have left to join other compeditors,myself after near twenty yeaer all in.your in good hands stick to ron and youl be ok all the best pal.

hey celtic, many thanks for the response. You are correct in your statements about ron being the best, i definitely think he is an excellent business man as well. i wont have him around much longer but i am sucking everything up like the proverbial spunge cuz knowledge like this may never surface again.
thanks again for the reassurance and advice.

I remember Ron from 2002 when he was general manager of SGB Baroom in Saudi Arabia.

Nice geezer.

Ah Saudi, he still talks about that place lol. He jokes about the driving there lol. Good lad and wise beyond his years. Ill be as good as him in years to come. :p

Would love to get back over to the carribean, spent a few years living in port of spain as well as georgetown guyana

hi looking for a job as a estimator have 20 years on the tools and looking for company to start me off

hate to sound daft, but i've only heard of robert bartlett. the only author ever to have wrote a book on contract scaffold estimating strategies- i'm tackling it myself right now and you need a degree just to read it ha ha. but does he have a relative?? similarly, i believe robert to have his own consultancy firm, traveling from organisation to another on contract terms. Can anyone clear this up??

You can be good at maths but untill you get the guidelines from an estimating course you will have no chance at all understanding that book,you will find it impossible to understand from page 16 on.Then there is all the estimating packages on sale Cads,Case and many more.You then need to be able to set that up to how you want it to work if that helps.

scaffdar ron works for sgb break him in two hed say sgb mate,regaurded as the best of his generation at his game,what youd maybe call a one firm man.to my knowledge hes still with sgb,who are fortunate to have his like.

Top Bottom