whats the best "double" you have worked with and why (1 Viewer)

K1ng B1lly

Reaction score
let me no what you what you think guys, just be interesting to see your answers, just a bit of fun :)

Mill's because thats what I learnt with and they work better for double on double because they sit better together than drop forged.

K1ng B1lly

It's a close call between B+P and GKN Mill'iz for the same reason as Gaz, makes for a more rigorous structure, the sprung steel maintains its shape even after dogs abuse and the tube slide readily in the gate. From a Scaff Firms point of view I would consider the a plus for rapid response jobs aboard Vessels, ect.:cool:

Cana bi deen wi at feckin stickiez or presco pis£

Garry...

I personally like the Presco double as they are nice to work with as opposed to the Boulten (Sticky) double.

Mills are good but a bugger if ya cack handed, my personal favorite is a well oiled old fashioned drop forged not the cheap foreign rubbish from India our China .

Another thing I like about the mills's is that there usually wide threaded so they tighten alot faster.

There also handy for fastening 2 toeboards to one standard :D

Last edited:
Gaz

Aye, I like the speed thread provision, ye faster and the threads don,t pick up as mush debris in the conventional iso threads. However, there was a concern raised regarding the speed thread in that, they were apt to slacken when subjected to vibration---this concern has never been proved and may be an urban myth---however, if any of the Scaffs has any information to the contrary please let me know---I carry a quantity of Mill'iz 90z and P/Cz for task specific jobs and cant see past them.
Garry...

I'd have to go with podger on this one, The old SGB Mk 3a drop forged double

also know as the SGB bomb, damn things might have been heavy but the could take nearly anything you threw at them, a close second is the Mill's 90

the pressed steel are far too prone to being bent out of shape

Stef

The SGB Bomb---excellent choice---the fact is that there are several excellent Couplers to choose from---it,s a question of fit-for-task.

Nae time for cheap and cheerful pressed steel, sorry Leon

LOL

I suppose its more to what you started out and trained with, I remember carrying bags of 30 bombs up to the main deck on the Amaco rig in UIE Clydebank. Not an easy feat when your 6ft tall and weigh in at less than 10 stone at the time, bag was almost as heavy as me

Although I was mostly SGB orientated and did and in fact still am a fan of B&P the best fitting we used were Burtons Drop Forge, lovely fitting that never stuck even if you did put it on slighty askew, closley followed by B&P and then for pure conveinience the SGB Mark 3A which was a fitting primarly used for shoring scaffolds with a 12.6kn slip test...so no checks!!

Aye, B+P very versitile---can use the Band, vertical or horizontal and have the same slip test properties either way, only draw back is the amount of component parts which make it up---however, with due care and diligence quality can be maintained.

must admit B&P are a personall favourite of mine cos there so universal and great for saddles no messing around trying to tighten bottom bolt up on double with them. not all firms use them though when sgb northampton closed the firm i worked for bought **** loads and we used for everything shame the thumbs screws never worked ever ha ha

Aye, when all components are serviceable and that includes the thumb screw, I would say and this is only my opinion---that the B+P Coupler is still the fastest coupler on the market and that includes the GKN Mill'iz speed thread. Furthermore, with the D/H ( Captain Cook ) having nearly the same slip test load bearing capacity as it Brother B+P, the combination gives a very robust and stable Scaffold.

Is it true that they only use stickys on the rigs because they dont spark?

daz

NO, this is an urban Myth---I have used all Types of Couplers Offshore and Associated processing Facilities. The reason that Scaffolding Orginisations use pressed steel Couplers is because they are cheap, furthermore, Couplers are subjected to a high Degree of human abuse and environmental conditions corrode and erode the integrity and reliability of the Coupler at an alarmingly rapid rate, thus a high turn over of couplers---however, in my view this is a fails economy. Moreover, the Pressed Steel Type being more mailable are apt to deviations and indeed many of the gates come away in your hand :eek:

Garry...

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

SORRY ment to direct the afore mentioned post to DAZ :embarrest:

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Feck me soz GAZ :eek::nuts:

Thanks for that. Just call everyone "mate" Its easier lol.

Started with Palmers in the mid 80s and they had a DF where the inside of the gate was ribbed for extra sensation !

podger

you'v raised a good point---given that it is surface friction that holds the Coupler to the Tube, the more surface area on the inside of the Coupler the better---that is why I am not to keen on stickiez, they tend to gouge there way in to the o/d of the Tube, thus decreasing the wall thickness and removing the galvanized surface which in turn allows oxidization of the damaged area leading to a rapid loss of Tube integrity and reliability.:eek:

Garry...

Top Bottom