scaffold collapse nottingham (1 Viewer)

I don't have them , my gaffer did the investigation. The standard was one of the worse ive seen , I can only guess that to put a 3.8m base lift in they did it off the back of the wagon. One of the 13 foot boards had a split straight through it the whole length of the board :D. A scaffold had also been thrown onto a pitched roof no buttres , there was a putlog scaffold supporting it from a lower wall. When the scaffold contractor was questioned about it , his justification was that he'd dogged the putlogs ( which wouldn't be acceptable). On checking the putlogs were not dogged anyway

This job is just down the road from me, the putlog elevation is obviously gone but I will get a picture of the gable independent on my way back from work tomorrow if we still have some daylight but it is appalling workmanship, the scaffold companies signboard on it as well!! Lets advertise how ***** we are eh??

I have seen a few scaffolds around nottingham just lately that seem to be being put up by the same firm, dont know their name but they are a putlog scaffolding just hammered into to the brick course sometimes by just an inch. I mean this is on a normal built house just never seen it done like that. One was around 20ft front no ties or anything. This example was defiantley a scaffold firm and not just brickies throwing it up. When we drove past it we was gobsmacked, wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that.

BBC News - Man injured in scaffolding collapse in Bulwell

I've seen the pictures of the scaffold the HSE asked us to do an investigation 3.8m high lift putlog scaffold . single beam incorporated on one elevation which was independent scaffold beam only spanned across one set of standards. Absolutely diabolical !!!!!!
Sounds like the work of the Mysterious cream gang who only do cash and can't work on thursdays , they seem to busy throughout the uk at present !!

I don't have them , my gaffer did the investigation. The standard was one of the worse ive seen , I can only guess that to put a 3.8m base lift in they did it off the back of the wagon. One of the 13 foot boards had a split straight through it the whole length of the board :D. A scaffold had also been thrown onto a pitched roof no buttres , there was a putlog scaffold supporting it from a lower wall. When the scaffold contractor was questioned about it , his justification was that he'd dogged the putlogs ( which wouldn't be acceptable). On checking the putlogs were not dogged anyway
Or ran out of gear an stripped the base lift. Third day in a row there's been a report of scaffolding collapses on the forum. These incidents not only reflect on scaffolders, IE, tarred with the same brush, but also drive up the cost of insurance on scaffolding contractors, good one's as well, money has to be recouped someway.Insurance companies wont get it from the cowboys, so the bone fide get the hit.

This job is just down the road from me, the putlog elevation is obviously gone but I will get a picture of the gable independent on my way back from work tomorrow if we still have some daylight but it is appalling workmanship, the scaffold companies signboard on it as well!! Lets advertise how ***** we are eh??
have you been doing cash jobs again paul?:D
seriously though, who was it?

have you been doing cash jobs again paul?:D
seriously though, who was it?

Not this time Ash...lol

I ment to take a piccie last night but I got back too late and it was dark...as its P.O.E.T.S. day today I should be able to get a shot.

The scaffold banner says Midland Scaffold with only a mobile contact number, I dont know whether they did the putlog or not but the job with the banner on is very poor.

Photos of Bulwell Job...Gable Elevation

MidlandScaffoldJob003.jpg

MidlandScaffoldJob002.jpg

MidlandScaffoldJob003.jpg

Not the best, I'm sure you will agree....:huh:

You should have nipped round the back PW got a few snaps of the rest of it lieing in a pile on the floor :D

thats a quality job compared with some of the ***** put up in hastings , il get a few snaps of some erected in the town centre
HSE come down here all the time but nowt ever seems to get done about sub standard work ,

No wonder the games in a mess with rubbish like that, fair play to you PW for showing them.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Hi scaffy,if the HSE wont do anything about these jobs who can we go to.

Everytime we get a tug from HSE il allways ask and make reference to other jobs (usually erected several houses away) prime example , we had a block of flats erected on seafront 9 lifts high and approx 200ft around job was well neat , yet HSE came on to us and wanted copies of pull tests done and that a ladder was not long enough and that 2 more ties should have been installed
Yet the block next door 2 and 3 lifts high done by a competitor(they know who they are) had not a single tie and was loads of bits of toe boards and that missing they never got a call , i challenged the HSE guy over this but got no answer - wanke rs

Sounds about right scaffy,they dont seem to bother till some innocent person gets killed.

as per usual , i do believe this particular HSE officer has it in for us as we have continuous grief off him - sneyd off the cuff comments and just continual targetting of our work

Stuck between a rock and a hardplace springs to mind, with all due respect to the SME's, we have all seen the jobs, we have all seen their SSOW (Not).

yet we are bunged up on PPE, Boots,(steel toecaps, not trainers) Hardhats, (Not Bump or Baseball caps) HI-VIS vests,t-shirts, Full body Harness and lanyard, CISRS card (Valid with touchscreen H&S test) Advanced Guardrail or Step up platform. safety glasses and gloves compulsary.

My point being, a scaffold is a scaffold irrespective of location, and the stds between the major scaffolding companies and the 'SME's irrespective of available funds ,assetts, and competency, should be standardised and compliant to TG20: 08

Top Bottom