Estimating feedback (1 Viewer)

Ian McInnes

Reaction score
Just testing the water here guys. Do you think that a freelance scaffolding estimating service might work? I'm thinking along the lines of companies that may not be able to pay for a full-time estimator but would appreciate an experienced professional that was available on a daily basis. Of course there would have to be some kind of non-disclosure agreement but I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

Ian

Non disclosure,would have to be more like the official secrets act lol,the majority of small to medium sized firms keep the pricing of jobs inhouse,but the major firms may be interested..Good luck mate.;)

Personally speaking....No, it is by far the most closley guarded operation within the business and you need someone who has a vast knowledge of the ins and outs of that specific business and the markets they operate in, it is not just a matter of ex amount of pounds per metre etc. The big companies use software like CASE (Computer Aided Scaffold Estimation) or similar, indeed I have used it but at the end of the day its still down to the individual estimator to fine tune the end quote, the software just sets parammiters.

I've already signed the official secrets act and also, working as a technical writer very heavy non disclosure agreements with major corporations. :0) I know the deadly secrecy that surrounds scaffold estimating. However, the secrecy is leaky when staff jump ship to other companies.

You're right about knowing the individual firm. Some kind of familiarisation period for a company should enable me to get a finger on the pulse though.

I've taken a look at the NASC's CAD online and would have no worries using it or something similar. Out of interest, how does it stack up with loading lists from a scaff's point of view?

Ian

NASC cads online ??? whats that mate , yes freelance estimating would be handy , we often get an overflow of stuff to price as we take work on in a lot of areas , let me know when u get going:p

<NASC cads online ??? whats that mate , yes freelance estimating would be handy , we often get an overflow of stuff to price as we take work on in a lot of areas , let me know when u get going:p>

It's the TG-2008 software programme. It says it produces a loading list too. I just wondered if the loading list was useful to scaffs or a source of frustration :0).

Thanks will certainly let you know when I'm ready to take the plunge with an estimating service.

Ian

hi thanks for reply , have you a link to that software as i cant find it on NASC website xx:sick:

Don't be in a mad rush to buy CADS Smart scaff .I have used CASE fo 10 years its got its shortcomings but considering how long its been around its proved itself. Ive just spent £3000 on the new Smart scaff and have found the following problems/ glitches/ hastles

1-You cant for example have multiple birdcages or loading towers or lift shafts of differing sizes under the same item number on a quote like you can with CASE i.e. you have to estimate 1 birdcage of a certain size then repeat the process for the next birdcage if its size is different under a new item number and so on ,instead of having lots of the same type of scaffolds under the same item number.

2-I still have case on my pc and have to cross check the prices every time I do a quote with CADS as the prices vary wildly like for like.

3-When estimating chimney stacks,temp roofs etc you enter the sizes and dimensions and then have to input your own price as the system doesn't work it out, you have to, when I called the help line I was told this is because there are new regs for temp roofs coming out and until they are out CADS won't be able to estimate this.What about chimneys though ?

4-The tg20 checker is great if you remember to go and check yourself to see the lads have put all the ties in where it tells you too, what I meen is its only as good as the guys you have on site erecting the scaffolding, however in its defence it prints out a lovely pass certificate for you to hand to the mc.

5-When entering the postcode for the windspeeds so you can tg20 check the scaffolds, I have noticed on 4 occasions the postcodes were nowhere near the actual job, this makes a mockery of the tg20 check and the tie dutys associated with them. I don't know if its a CADS problem or a google problem but its worth a check.

I have let CADS global know my feelings on these points ,(none of which were mentioned during the sales pitch) and if they are sorted out then it will be a more user friendly system than CASE,but it won't be better. The 3d drawing application looks great but isn't a lot of good realy, and the design it applications only any good if you already have autocad and can use that(it needs auto cad to function), it doesn't do the calcs, you still need to get a design. To sum up it looks great and sounds great but its average and the best part of 6k with all the extras unless you do a deal.

I think if Mr Day had been a bit quicker with the windows version of CASE and maybe had millions of pounds backing he could have come up with something much better than the CADS software .

I have also purchased CADS and would have to agree with Dangeruss. We use it for wind speed checks and TG20 check (again, you must check the location. It can be moved to the correct location on the map) and occasionally the material lists but I still carry out estimating on an in-house Excel template which is linked to invoice templates etc.

It could be a good bit of software but I find the summary quotation has too little on and a detailed quote has far too much info for the client.

I’m hoping they will listen to all the feedback and sort the problem, if not it’s an expensive desk top item!!

Top Bottom