advice needed

youngone

Reaction score
hi all bit of advice needed been window fitting for nearly 20 years, fancy a change would like to get into saffolding, iam 37 am i to old to get into the game got a good head on me shoulders. been doing the odd weekends driver labouring for me uncle who does domestic scaffolding. if i went and done my part 1 would i be able to approach scaffy firms for employment.
I was just wonderin how you all got started into scaffolding? what would you say is the best way to get into the trade these days? Thanks

Most guys get into it in their early years but I've met quite a few trainees in their thirties, the most important attributes are being relatively fit with a good head for heights and a willingness to learn, most youngsters now have the first 2 but not the 3rd and a lot of employers know this.

Most start out as labourers to scaffs then move up to trainees but i know a couple of guys who did their part 1 on their own and employers definitely prefer someone with a good grounding of the basics, either way, good luck in your search mate

I have found that people who are mechanically/practically minded are also really good guys.

I agree with tin that the best bet would be to start off labouring to a good scaff. When you get to a level when you can anticipate the gear you need and in what sequenece as soon as you get out the wagon then you are a good bet at progressing into getting your cards.

Go for it mate,you may find that you will either love or hate it,the job is a lot different when you have to do it every day,rather than a few days here and there,at least with your age you will have a bit of common sense unlike a lot of the snoty nosed kids who get a start and think they know it all...good luck mate.

hello chief,

the best advice to give is try and avoid massive firms like SGB, because they operate on a price work system and normaly the experienced scaffs are to busy throwing the job up to stop and teach trainees how to actually do the work correctly,

try and stick to payed by hour work, no rush to get the job up and theres plenty of time to learn and develop if you really want to make a go of it,

but dont think your to old mate, if the heads screwed on and your fitness is good go for it,
i was workin on a site in edinburgh last summer and ther was scaff there "sandy" 72 year old still goin

good luck mate let us no how you get on

Top Bottom