Advanced scaffolder refresher courses (1 Viewer)

S

steve gregory

ADVANCED SCAFFOLDERS HAVING TO DO A REFRESHER COURSE PRIOR TO RENEWAL of there cards ,, ITS COMING.

a refresher course of any kind is for someone who hasn't done the subject for a long time , why would you need to refresh what you do every day ?

I am offshore so do a survival refresher every four years , in fact I do ISSOW refresher a working at height refresher a harness awareness refresher a confined entry refresher add to that the MIST refresher and the advanced refresher I am refreshered out .

Why not ? Does every advanced scaffolder know all the changes required by TG20:08, SG4:10 et al ? Competence doesn't mean burying your head in the sand, refusing to acknowledge change.

PS. just be thankful you're not a truck driver - a minimum of 5 days in the classroom from now on before their 5 yearly renewal !

not good if you drive a hgv ,and scaffold,i do both,so even more expence.:mad:

Dont agree with it myself, if this applies to advanced why would it not apply to part 2 scaffs as well?
If the powers that be insist on it best way I think would be to include topical questions on the H&S touch screen test, might work, might not.

Certain situations do warrant refreshers especially offshore survival/confined space training etc IMO.
If your doing this job day in day out you should be aware of any changes to working practices, if not by yourself then by your management team.

Wheres all this going to end eh....

Agree with you Dave , the goalposts are continually moving and it is always better to be wise to any change . This should be incorparated into the H&S touchscreen test thus allowing you to read up on any change then get tested on it . I am quite happy to do all the refreshers they throw at me , £280 a day for training aint to be sniffed at but what about the guys who have to pay themselves . I am still of the belief that training providers are continually thinking of ways to get more cash from the average guys pocket .

Dont agree with it myself, if this applies to advanced why would it not apply to part 2 scaffs as well?
If the powers that be insist on it best way I think would be to include topical questions on the H&S touch screen test, might work, might not.

Certain situations do warrant refreshers especially offshore survival/confined space training etc IMO.
If your doing this job day in day out you should be aware of any changes to working practices, if not by yourself then by your management team.

Wheres all this going to end eh....

lets be honnest part 2 do the same as an advanced anyway every scaffolder
normally mucks in the only time most take orders is if there chargehands
its just one big rip off if your on a decent firm like dave ja says youve had
the trainning before its came out on the day to day stuff.

ADVANCED SCAFFOLDERS HAVING TO DO A REFRESHER COURSE PRIOR TO RENEWAL of there cards ,, ITS COMING.

I today had the pleasure of a 1 to 1 chat with Dave Mosley at the HSE presentation in Derby .. YES THIS IS TRUE AND IT IS COMING....

why does it seem like scaffolders are being targeted for training they dont need,there are loads of trades out there that once they have done there apprenticeship,they are qualified for life,when did anyone hear of brickies,or joiners being told how to redo there jobs.one big rip off,we dont need this,we need more money,but the monopoly has us by the nads,we pay them more money,we get fek all.if it carrys on,there will be a shortage of streetwise scaffs to do it all.then were will it end.(cheap immigrant labour)thats were.

This will be done to keep the scaffs up to date with all the new legislation. This will be theory based only not practical.
I actually agree with this as the relevent information is not being passed to everybody.

if its only theory based then why cant it be done on-line , surely its only methods and codes of practice , i teach scuba diving and students can complete all their theory work on-line these days. so why cant the powers that be just send updates to qualified men to keep them up to date with current legislations etc :wondering:

i kind of agree with this as you do need to know the upto date legislation and i know some scaffs that really have no idea of the new stuff and think they can still do stuff from 15 years ago and it will be fine.

knowledge is power, it works both ways for me if someone questions why i have done something i usually have a damn good reason for it and keep it within the legislation, that way i can argue my case.

what ever happened to good old on the job experience.every day we toil to work out how to do a scaffold round something,under something,in something,out of something,and still its not enough.i understand the need for improvement.but somethings are to much.the people what say that we need refresher courses,arnt on the daily grind,sorting out what needs to be done,there and then.how can they refresh what we had to think about how to do a certain thing.if its free then fair enough,but as for paying for it,no fekin chance from me.i have paid for all my tickets myself,and at around £3000 FOR 1/2/ADVANCED.i think i have paid the price,and dont feel that i owe anyone any more money.no pay rise in how many years i cant remember,inflation up,scaffs wages,down.
p.s.why cant they send the updated legislations to us fre,so we can read all about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom