Half inch fittings (1 Viewer)

philliosmaximus

Reaction score
i was always told that half inch fittings are stronger then 7/16 , does anyone know if this is true and how much stronger are they , i worked on Mc Alpine sites years ago and all their fittings where 1/2 inch :wondering:

i no one thing philliosmaximus if your on a job and one or to have been slipped in its a barsket if you ante got a ajustable to hand ante used them since late 80s on sgb the olde double spanner days i didnt think they were a bad fitting.

i had some and used them for building the yard , i worked for a firm years ago and one of the lads on there used to put one here and there , he thought it was funny , he also used to put the odd fitting upside down as well , and he is now the supervisor

there is a job up on the park lane above the bmw garage

i put it up about 10 years (its still there no) think 90% of it is half inch fitting
the owner of the flats brought the scaffold so boss got rid of them all

who was that for Gus ? iam down that way all the time mate , there is a couple of jobs that have been there for ever

that was for shores

must be a good 10 years, easy

it went up for inspection on the building. now its kinda holding most of it up

massive gantry all the way round all done in rmd's

the best bit is

they havent even done a thing to the building

only thing thats happened is the boards have been changed a few times as they have all rotted

as far as im aware

no one

shores have been trying to get out of it but its their name on the pavement licence

someone said its classed as permanet structure now cos its been up soooo long, how true that can be i dont know

tone was asked to do a independant safety inspection by the buildings owners

there is a job up on the park lane above the bmw garage

i put it up about 10 years (its still there no) think 90% of it is half inch fitting
the owner of the flats brought the scaffold so boss got rid of them all

I went to look at that job last year as the refurb was up for tender. They wanted a couple of temporary roofs built of the existing scaffold and the usual making good and other items for demo etc. Job looked like a nightmare for various different reasons - not least the unsupported soldiers on the base out!

We put a price in, but heard nothing back. I think the building owners have put the project on the shelf for the time being.

the job was all done to drawing

i personally thought it was terrible as the gantry is not man enough

when we was putting the front up i was stood on the gantry and could feel every step me mate took as he walked along the lifts

i had plenty of arguements with the boss over that job. the way its based out on the gantry for one

i always found the spanner slipped off the nut less with the 1/2 inch fitting , but then the spanners were a lot sh1tter then . as for being stronger they were always bigger heavier fittings so maybe they were . does any one no why they arent used any more?

I thought they were 5hit hot fittings,and they never seemed to sieze up,love finding and using the odd one now and again just to be awkward lol.;)

they normally find themselves in a bush i come across one

i love using ancient fittings that you come across when the yards empty . how the hell they used to afford to put that much steel in one fitting is beyond me . iv still got half inch spanner lying around some where . you find a lot of half inch fittings are used in scaff racks in smaller firms yards

McAlpines use to have doubles , sleeves, clips ,swivles, spigots all half inch and they had an extra long spigot about 12 inchs long god knows why

Sir Alfred or Sir Robert , yeh all big heavy burton half inches , o rourke and sir robert must be one of a few main contractors that use there own scaff kit

they was all good quality dropped forge and had a coating i think it was called sharadise

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Higgs and Hills use to have all there own gear , rumoured they had more B+P then SGB

Are Higgs and Hills still about? Last time i heard about them was about 6 years ago. We used to buy gear of them but the norwood depot closed down.

Higgs and Hill were absorbed into Edmund Nattall / HBG / BAM believe they sold most of the gear on

Formark ????

their hire side was called Gazeways and there yard was in Beddington lane Croydon ,
used to be if you won a tender for Higgs and Hill you HAD to hire the gear from Gazeways

Top Bottom