Why Safety Glasses?

R

ragscaff

Been on site recently. No shorts, hard hat, harness, gloves etc & Safety Glasses!

Four lift job on a stately house. Rear of the house bottom three lifts below ground level. No air flow, hot days. Every 5 minutes glasses steam up & covered in sweat.

Not able to see my hand in front of me, thats Health & Safety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats next full body armour?

Ragscaff

well i agree with glasses in certain situations mate , you only ever have 1 set of eyes so yes we should protect them. we all wear shades in the summer. put it this way if i lost my sight they might aswell do me in completely . not being able to look at the lovely countryside and things that country produces...

Used to wear them all time,just got used to it,nearly got thrown off a job once writing a tag out for not wearing gloves,i had 1 on and other in mi pocket.Dumb bitch,she should have gone home n done bakein if that was her contribution.

Safety glasses are a good thing, in the right circumstances but it seems here it was not so. The PPE Regulations 1992, Regulation 4(3)(d) states 'so far as is practicable, it is effective to prevent or adequately control the risk or risks involved without increasing overall risk'; this is in relation to selecting PPE. In other words if the glasses are creating a greater risk i.e. impaired vision then the task needs to be reviewed for a safer alternative.

Been on site recently. No shorts, hard hat, harness, gloves etc & Safety Glasses!

Four lift job on a stately house. Rear of the house bottom three lifts below ground level. No air flow, hot days. Every 5 minutes glasses steam up & covered in sweat.

Not able to see my hand in front of me, thats Health & Safety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats next full body armour?

Ragscaff

had to were these bloody things for years no glasses no work weve moaned about the dangers they can cause all they say is stop work and clean them
so thats what we do!!!

I was on a site on Thursday and had to wear these glasses pretty much the first time since off shore, it was a nightmare trying to see anything with sweat running down the brow then the following day it was a nightmare with driving rain blinding you and no wipers.:eek: There was something in the site rules about inclement weather and glasses but the agent had to come to you depending on where you were working and what you were doing assess the risk before giving you the all clear to remove your glasses. We were working on our own so no real danger of anything getting in your eye, the way of the world I suppose. Still remember the old boy walking about a rig with no lenses in his glasses, he got away with it for years.

There the two sides to the glasses issue one yes they protect your eyesight and yes they are are a pain in the arse to work in, being i am one of those people that are fortunate that i have perfect vision (some would say not when u see my girlfriend:cry:) the only time that u would need to wear glasses when scaffolding is when stripping a brickies lift, or if someone is cutting a tube, nowdays you got to have a hot works permit for that.
So in the course of a normal day what harm could come to your eyesight when erecting a scaffold. If people are grinding then isnt that supposed to be shielded now, in the summer we wear the dark glasses cause of the sun, but thats still a pain, steaming up and dripping into them, every 5 minutes having to wipe them.
Another one do you carry a nice clean soft cloth to clean them, no, so there ok when brand new, after a couple of weeks there showing signs of scratching nothing major to warrant getting a new pair, but what damage is being done to your vision with these, has there been a long term study done on them.
Whenever there was a bit of drizzle of rain about, straight on the risk assessment lads not wearing glasses cause of rain impairing vision, kept all safety officers at bay then. Never had one tell us not to work in it ethier:laugh:

So then why can we as chargehands not access the danger & adapt our working practice to the working enviroment?

We write our method statements & risk assesments so let us do our job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Used to wear them all time,just got used to it,nearly got thrown off a job once writing a tag out for not wearing gloves,i had 1 on and other in mi pocket.Dumb bitch,she should have gone home n done bakein if that was her contribution.
Should have told her to try take tag out of holder with a glove on, Impossible. If she's not part of the solution, she's part of the problem.

site rules and health and safety idiots with no common sense

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

like that 1 brandy,we used to get soulutions for every problem,but some people found problem for the soulution so they could toss it off

Worked with a few good common sensed safety officers, but the rest its a matter of do as i say, common sense is not common in these people. A new safety officer started on site last week, and the first day on the job he came to me and said (quote) I like my scaffolders to report to me before starting work each morning so I can go through your performance and any issues I have with you. My reply was first off I'm not your scaffolder any issues you have you come to me. He's been quiet since, little p###

We have a large range of Safety Glasses that you can use your 10% forum discount on.

brava-safety-glasses-all.jpg

ffs!!! fashion safety glasses!! whats all the fuss about with wearing them? they look pretty cool :cool:

yeah they do look good beter than the happy shopper most firms issue to you.

The problem being scaffolding is manual work! You sweat! Glasses steam up & you cannot see what you are doing as well as steam up. You can only clean them so many times on your sleeve then they are usless.

Working five lifts up to come down & clean something you don't need to wear!!

and its getting near the winter when you start to steam when you get hot lol.

Top Bottom