Principal Contractors Directly Employing (1 Viewer)

PW

Reaction score
I do accept that in the current climate any avenue of employment will be gainfully pursued but I just wanted to gauge the Forums views.

When we were all working full kilter it used to drive me mad when Companies like Laing O Rourke would employ scaffolders directly, As a Manager of a business it used to be bad enough losing your trained and experienced lads(At considerable expense and time to ourselves may I add) to other scaffolding companies, but to then lose them to a company like LOR I thought was morally wrong.

Please dont think I'm against competition at the end of the day "Money Talks" but business's like LOR dont (As far as Im aware) invest in their lads with scaffold courses etc and will only accept trained and carded lads.

In my view they are not only taking work away from the sub contracting scaffolding companies that had worked for them for years but they took trained lads with them as well!! As an old friend of mine would say: "The basta*ds would not only pluck your eyeballs out but half an hour later the c*nts would be back for your eyebrows!!"

I would be intrested to hear of their work conditions also...I lost a few lads to them with the promise of a lot more than we could offer but not all was as it seemed.

Anyones views please??

Cheers

Paul

Last edited:
Got no experience with this mate, but another old saying of 'the grass is always greener......'

My brother was worked for loads of big firms with the promise of this and that and when the pay day comes it is always the same story of let downs and con's etc....

Same here m8
2 years ago we had 37 fully carded lads that had been on for a while, they knew the job like the back of their hands.

The 'Recession'
We now have 7 'Scaffs'.

'Green shoots' of recovery (my arse) we now have a sub-contractor in (Layher system) we have and allways been a Tube & fitting company, i have done the 'Timber framed ' with Tube and Fitting, however i agree Horses for courses, system scaff for 'Timber framed'.

With the current downturn and all that Malarkey, all of our excess scaffold was stored in 1 major facility, and from there to be distributed on a need basis.

I have heard reports the stock is dwindling, however on further investigation, we have no graft on and none of the guys has ordered owt. To try and validate this news i ordered ,100 Sleeves,150 swivells,500 doubles and 750 singles, Guess what! no fittings in the yard. Big brown envelope dropped on the floor, springs to mind lads.

Paddy

Top Bottom