Scaffold Ratchets (1 Viewer)

donhulen

Reaction score
Hello,
I , My name is Don and I am a retired US Navy Maintenance Technician Senior Chief. I live in Texas and own a small tool store in La Porte. I have never built scaffolding, but sell scaffold ratchets.

I have noticed that workers in Europe do not use a scaffold ratchet, but do use a podger? I think it is sort of a socket on a breaker bar.

Can anyone tell me why a ratchet is not used and why is it preferred? Also what is the cost of a good scaffold podger?

Thanks,
Don Hulen
PS thank you for allowing me to post

Don

I guess it's all down to availability and Product a Awareness, I have viewed the Scaffold Ratchet Spanner on your Web-Site and on the face of it looks like a robust and fit -for -purpose piece of hard ware, fit to grace any Scaffs belt.

Have you considered engineering in a Torque Mechanism ?, looks like plenty of room to accommodate within the Hexagon Head.

Best regards

Garry...

Scaffold Ratchet

Thanks Gary,

For the suggestion of a Torque Mechanism. Is there such a device that would fit into my ratchet? Is there currently any ratchets that have a torque mechanism?

What different sizes of wrenches does a scaffolder use? Ours in the USA are only 7/8"

Best wishes,
Don

Don

There may be either Load Cells, Torque regulators and or an innovation not yet developed that would fit the Bill.

As far as I am aware, there is not a Scaffold Torque Spanner on the Market, However, there is a need for such a Tool to be Researched and Developed to comply with the B.S. 1139---Allocated Torque Values.

If you want to Private Message me with a personal e-mail address---I shall forward relative information that may be of interest to you.

Garry...

Don

When I started it was not uncommon For the Scaffolders to carry two Scaffold Keys (Spanners) 1 for 1/2 inch and 1 for 7/16 th's Fittings. However, 1/2 inch Fittings have been phased out and 7/16 is the predominant size.

Garry...

the majority of scaffolders that carry a ratchet use specifically designed ones that incorporate a type of podger, some prefer the angled podger some the straight, for myself I prefer the straight ratchet seen below

ratchet.jpg

most scaffolders carry a 21mm ratchet some with a 19mm on the other face

Stef

Have you seen the Scaffold Ratchet on Don's web-site---and if so---how would you compare and contrast the two ???.

Garry...

I had a little look at the ratchet there along with its specs.

The usual Brit scaffold ratchet is an addition to a scaffs belt, a tool to use in some awkward spots where you can't get the swing over going, but it can't take the abuse that the spanner or hammer take

Don's tools are more as a replacement of the spanner itself. It definitely looks like a nice tool, the hardened hammer on the back being a nice touch, also when you consider that most ratchets, even top quality ones won't take the kind of abuse that scaffs dish out to their tools and you get a years guarantee with it, well you can see why he gets plenty of interest about it

Gary,
I noticed that some of the podgers have a rat tail handle. What is the rat tail used for?
Also, do you have the the problem with some scaffold clamp bolts being too long for the socket to fit over the nut? Over here they use one clamp for tow different pipe sizes. When the larger pipe is used, no problem, but the smaller pipe results in more bolt thread past the nit and the socket bottoms out on the bolt before the nut is engaged. I have ordered deeper sockets on my scaffold ratchets but have not received them yet. I had to order a socket that is 1 inch longer when 1/2" was all I needed. But that was the only size available. Either too long or too short!
Don

Don

When I started it was not uncommon For the Scaffolders to carry two Scaffold Keys (Spanners) 1 for 1/2 inch and 1 for 7/16 th's Fittings. However, 1/2 inch Fittings have been phased out and 7/16 is the predominant size.

Garry...

I use a ratchet with a podger. Except mine has no switch to tighten and loosen the nuts. It just has one side for tighten and the other for loosen. I prefer this type.

The rat tail which i think we mean by podger is used for all sorts of things. I think its main purpose if for use with the band and plate fitting. See the picture below.

http://www.scaffoldingsupplies.co.uk/images/shop/more/250x188_125846073413223.jpg

Last edited:
Don

My Personal use for the rat tail is to tighten the SGB Universal Band and Plate Coupler ( I prsume you have knowledge of the is Scaffold Fitting ? (Clamp) ), it is also handy for opening sheets when splicing hand lines, ect and Finlay it locates the holding frog easeyer---rather like a drifter.

The rule of thumb with U.K. Tube out side diameter is normally 27/28 th's of an inch ( as you Guys work in Imperial I shall continue as such )---this diameter is a throw back from the time 2" o/d water pipe which were first used in the Scaffolding Industry, with the o/d of Tubes being comparatively generic, long bolt is not and issue in respect of differing o/d's. However, long bolt is an issue were bolts have been used extensively and they have stretched :eek:, (which raised other questions).

The U.K. Ratchet his no restriction regarding long bolt as you can determine fro Stefs Image, however, this flat design leaves the knuckles quite close to the tube whilst operating---the U.S. one has a socket which by design takes the knuckles away from the Tube allowing more freedom to operate---this is merely my personal opinion---any one want to jump in and expand this Post ?

My ratchet has the actual head projecting about 15mm out from the shaft, the type Gaz has is usually flat, either way they both have the problem that Garry mentioned about whacked knuckles because of lack of clearance from the tube.

the rat tail type is following the shape of the original Podger for ease of access and better purchase on the SGB Universal coupler ( Band & Plate ),the D/H (Diagonal/Horizontal) and the SGB Beam Clamp.
I used Gaz's pic for illustration, obviously the hook end being used for the thumb screw( lower right of pic 2 )

podger.jpg
bandplate.jpg

As for problems with long bolts, as Garry mentioned the general uniformity of bolt length here means we seldom have the problem unless the clamp has been consistently over tightened which means they should be treated as damaged and discarded into a scrap bin.

Don's Ratchet with the socket keeps your hands away from possible injury and also means it can be used in some more restrictive spots than a regular spanner because of the lack of the swing over, which usually requires you to keep taking the spanner off to reset it back at the starting point if you get my meaning

Stef

Having cut ny teeth on SGB Scaffold Component Parts, I am Bias toward the SGB B&P and D/H, furthermore, for my money they are still the most versitile and value for money Couplers on the Market. GKN Mills Couplers coming in at a very close second.

Yet another quality post by Stef---liked the images---however, the chair component is conspicuous by it's absence ???.

Garry...

Yet another quality post by Stef---liked the images---however, the chair component is conspicuous by it's absence ?

Having also cut my teeth at SGB I too am fond of the B&P but I can count the number of times used with the chair on one hand, I remember beig told they were a 4 part fitting but on the whole we only used the B&P as the thumbscrew was always seized and the chair...well that was just non exsistant!!

Don

What Types of Scaffold Fittings ( Clamps ) are used in the U.S. ?

i.e. Sprung Steel, Drop Forged, Pressed Steel, ect... ?

Is the Scaffold Ratchet Spanner widely use through-out North America and how big a Market Share has it got in relation to competitors ?

Garry...

clamps

Thanks for all the information. It is totally foreign to me. I have not seen such a clamp, but now understand the rat tail.

Since your nut sizes are different from ours, is it also different from other countries? Say you had a job in France, would you need to buy new tools?

Thanks to tinheads for the photos, I had no clue as to what the clamp looked like. Is there a supplier web site I can visit to get a better idea of what your clamps look like?

Also, If I were to market my ratchet in UK, what size, size/s socket/s would I need to use?

Don

My Personal use for the rat tail is to tighten the SGB Universal Band and Plate Coupler ( I prsume you have knowledge of the is Scaffold Fitting ? (Clamp) ), it is also handy for opening sheets when splicing hand lines, ect and Finlay it locates the holding frog easeyer---rather like a drifter.

The rule of thumb with U.K. Tube out side diameter is normally 27/28 th's of an inch ( as you Guys work in Imperial I shall continue as such )---this diameter is a throw back from the time 2" o/d water pipe which were first used in the Scaffolding Industry, with the o/d of Tubes being comparatively generic, long bolt is not and issue in respect of differing o/d's. However, long bolt is an issue were bolts have been used extensively and they have stretched :eek:, (which raised other questions).

The U.K. Ratchet his no restriction regarding long bolt as you can determine fro Stefs Image, however, this flat design leaves the knuckles quite close to the tube whilst operating---the U.S. one has a socket which by design takes the knuckles away from the Tube allowing more freedom to operate---this is merely my personal opinion---any one want to jump in and expand this Post ?

Stef

Having cut ny teeth on SGB Scaffold Component Parts, I am Bias toward the SGB B&P and D/H, furthermore, for my money they are still the most versitile and value for money Couplers on the Market. GKN Mills Couplers coming in at a very close second.

Yet another quality post by Stef---liked the images---however, the chair component is conspicuous by it's absence ???.

Garry...

My God, its been that long since i saw the chair i had forgot it existed lol

PW

We both know the benefits of the B&P and D/H---however, during Tool Box Talks concerning SGB Couplers, and for the benefit of the uninitiated I insist that the quality control regime includes the maintaining of thumb screws and that chairs be made available if required---that said, I hold my hands up to slingin :mad: some of the component parts that make up the B&P over the years mainly due to being handed a seized Coupler and losing the nut :nuts:

Garry...

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Don

If you access British Standards 1139 --- EN 12811-1, this is a good starting point for you to gain an understanding of the Technical Data that governs the Dimensions of nuts, ect

The B.S. has been adopted by many Global Regions, this provision came about due to the Ex-pat Community expertise being recognised as the Premium Bench Mark.

With the erosion and demise of the Manufacturing Base in the U.K.---new manufacturing base's emerged in China and India which Manufacture B.S. Scaffold Couplers---this in turn opened the Chinese Market and they now export a vast amount of Scaffolding Component Parts. All of the nuts are of a generic size.

Top Bottom