advanced Guardrail

R

ragscaff

I have sent the following to the HSE & the NASC. See what comes back???????????????

Advanced Guardrail system.

I have been scaffolding over 20 years & we are now told this year we are to have advanced guardrail systems brought in. I find this a complete joke for the following reasons.
1/ It is not a cost effective solution. This means most firms will not use it.
2/ Step ups are very dangerous. How can you step up to the top handrail? that distance is too high. If you then have a step with a ladder how do you move it around a job between braces without breaking a finger or two.
3/ You rely on an advanced system that is not connected to the main scaffold someone will get killed.
Who decided that tunneling off personal inertias was not allowed. Tunneling with an advanced rail is the only way forward.
If you make something too expensive & too time consuming then it won't get used.In the real world we get called to site to add an extra lift & the platform we are working on will be covered with debris. Use a step up & you will get twisted or broken ankles every day.
We all want to stay safe but we need to earn a living!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ragscaff:laugh::D:laugh::D

Ragscaff i concur,however, we are the guys that do the job for pennies, they are the suits that get the money,NASC has had their nose put out of joint with the new HSE Guidance, NASC thought they were the 'Dogs dangly bits' and the be, and end all of all WAH, however, if you go to the NASC web-site or NASC Appendix A 'Interim Guyidance' you will see why we cant sh1t without permission m8.

Ragscaff i concur,however, we are the guys that do the job for pennies, they are the suits that get the money,NASC has had their nose put out of joint with the new HSE Guidance, NASC thought they were the 'Dogs dangly bits' and the be, and end all of all WAH, however, if you go to the NASC web-site or NASC Appendix A 'Interim Guyidance' you will see why we cant sh1t without permission m8.

f**k them!!;)

ragscaff

There is a multitude of falls from hight prevention methods and system cited within SG4:05 Appendix A. My personal preferance is the Personal Fall Arrest Device.

ragscaff has raised a good point---it would be interesting to find out how many of us actually use these Methods and System on a Day to Day basis.

I know of a Collective Fall Prevention System that was shipped to an Offshore Installation and has never been used, in fact it's been there that long it's seized up. so, what message does that send ?

I dont want to slag off new innovations, but, perhaps if the innovators consulted the Scaffs !.

Garry...

advanced handrail

WE were working on timberframe site an My boss , designed a system for advanced handrail., It was an off set shaped tube aprox 6ft, that had a swivel attatched aprox 2ft from end ,and a swivel connected to the top wielded in place, we put ally tube in top swivels after measuring standards, connected lower swivel,s:weird: to standards. Because the were off set you could rotate the pair , ( had to lock in place with secondry swivel) , hey presto temp handrail on next lift, we could do this to the length of run , then jump up an hemp wat ever was needed, ,install handrails, job done, wasnt that time consuming once we got used to it , any feedback on this system most welcome,

sabretiger

Aye, nice on ---just shows you that the Scaffs can do it for them selfs---ye if it works for you, all well and good---Got to agree with ragscaff regarding money spinning office wallers making money off the backs of the Scaffs with ill thought out devices---let them come out and Field test them first ;)

How many non-producers and their families do we actually keep ???:mad:

I totally agree with you Garry and Ragscaff. let the office dwellers field test on a productivity basis, would be interesting to see how much there wages decrease, I,m sure most ov them are reject,s from MFI an B&Q :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

advanced handrail!!

I had an answer off the NASC. Advanced guardrails are being pushed by the HSE!!. The NASC want to see personal protection used. (NOT Durex:) They think advanced rail may be dangerous for the same reasons I brought up , too costly, impracticable & two handed gangs can't use them! The regs may not even come in but if they do it will be at the end of the year. Tunnelling is the only way forward & we can still do it at the moment. I have a design for a personnel tunnelling advanced rail need someone to help me produce a prototype!

HSE yet to reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D::toung::nuts:

ragscaff

If you want to share your thoughts please elaborate by all means---most realistic innovations come from the Guys who use the devises and procedures.

Do you have drawings or images of your innovation ???

scaff

Thanks for the link Iv just had an initial view and looks interesting.

ragscaff well worth a Butchers M8 ;)

Iv used the swing gates at St Fergus Gas Terminal, good piece of kit.

Waiting for an image of the new stillage---the conventional stillage has raised concerns during Lifting and Cargo Handling Ops, slinging ect :eek:...could be worth a new Thread ???.

Scaff - what system are you using , something we have had demo and looked at before all looks a load of agro

Ragscaff
well done mate, regarding your concerns being relayed to NASC, i for one, would love to have a copy of there reply to your grievance letter, i would have it copied and laminated, and issued to all our lads, as this could be a credential to use in the event of a HSE visit.

As of the NASC, saying they would rather prefer PPE over collective measures of fall prevention:weird: this is the least practical option, within WAHR 2005 hierarchy of controls.

Ragscaff, i would be very interested in your system you have developed mate.

Once again well done Mate.

Regards
Paddy

Scaff - what system are you using , something we have had demo and looked at before all looks a load of agro

We have a couple of systems, one is a proprietary system, another is where the lads fix ali standards to existing standards with a couple of swivs ali long across the two then the lads slide it up as edge protection to next lift, no got any photos of this in practise but the proprietary system I have will upload soon, Mrs wants to go shopping :sad:

Here's an example, although the bottom hooks would normally sit on the handrail of the lift below.

Attachments

• propriortry edge protection.jpg
    propriortry edge protection.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Seen the Jag system. Uses velcro!! Not sure how that will go with all that brick dust. Also you need two men. My idea is a one man rail for progresive tunneling. NASC reply was a telephone conversation bit hard to copy but I felt it was productive. Have had a contact from the HSE but it just said the appropriate department will contact me in due course sort of thing. Want to pass my idea through the HSE & NASC prior to taking it too far. Hope they will contact me soon!!!

I did have a chat with an HSE inspector a while ago & from what he said if you have procedures in place to work in a praticable way to stay safe you can develop your own ideas. I think a lot of the time we follow main contractors veiws in the way we work. For example gloves, glasses shorts etc. If there is a danger for a trade to wear such protective items make everyone wear it to make it easy to manage!!! That is until you ask a bricky to wear a harness when he has removed the handrail to load muck on the working lift!!:weird:

Ragscaff
Unfortunatley the Major contractors work to the lowest common denominator it makes it easier to police.
My RAMS often say my top lift fixers do not require head protection but anyone working below them will need it. Sadly once I cross the boundries of my client I have to adhere to thier minimum PPE requirements. Sadly it is better for them to err on the side of safety.

Top Bottom