System scaffold (1 Viewer)

paul

Reaction score
Will system scaffolding take over in the Uk as most of other countries seem to be over run by system and welcome it with open arms ,
What are you guys using

Wages will drop if that happens.. systems only ok to use in certain jobs.. we use T/F all the time , no system..

Will system scaffolding take over in the Uk as most of other countries seem to be over run by system and welcome it with open arms ,
What are you guys using

Most clients are seeing the system scaffolding in presentations from the companies and are starting to dictate it to the bigger scaffold companies to use it, National Grid wanted all the jobs on the grid to be done out of cuplock to shorten the time that circuits are switched out.
To me there is a lot more manual handling issues with cuplock and strain on the wrist over a period of time. T & F for me all day long, old school im afraid, or as some would say move with the times:nuts:

Systems have their place in the market for certain types of work.
We carry 2 systems in addition to T&F.

We try to work out whats best for each situation. Got several jobs at the moment which are straight forward nice straight runs. For speed were using Haki and Cuplock on these, look great once built too. Nice n tidy jobs.

The problem I think is that with systems there is basically an "instruction manual" that clients can look at and see what the specs are. With T&F, if your an uninformed client there is too much left to the scaffolding contractors to build their way, which I personally think scares people not in the "know".
Im old school myself and would choose T&F any day over systems, but looking at this from the outside I can see why so many clients see the appeal of systems.

Dave, at the cost of having all the components for system scaffolding stocked in your yard compared to T & F, is there much difference on profit, for say a 100' straight run 2 lift, top lift boarded 5' wide. between the two, or can you charge more for system or do you have charge less cause of the time factor.
I dont have any experience in pricing or costing jobs.:unsure:

We pretty much charge the same for system as we do for T&F.
If you were to analyse the actual cost of a job labour wise, transport etc then you would find a marginal profit over T&F in most cases.

This is obviously down to how the jobs are managed at the beginning I guess. If your talking about overall costs including buying the systems to overall running costs then thats a bit beyond me but I think if your going to go with a system of some sort then you should make sure that you as a comapny can make it cost effective.
From my point of view, I would ditch the haki, except the roofing system and loading bays and stick with cuplock, purely as we have mountains of cuplock and all the haki extras are too expensive.
From a day to day basis you would really need to work out whats more cost effective for each application.
My boss is a major systems fan and tries to apply it to nearly everything, so I have to try and point out where it can work to our benefit and where we would be better off going T&F.

Dave.

Last edited:
When I worked on the street the firm I worked for did a lot of tenement buildings . We would use T&F on the front and cuplok to the rear . A lot easier to carry two 3m stds through a close than a 21`. System does have its place and put up correctly looks the part but as said above I am also old school T&F all day long .

System does have its place. It is PERFECT for core work, lift shafts, risers etc as it goes up so quick and you dont have to spend time butting transoms and ledgers against walls and bubbling and spinning the spanner. A lot of firms are moving towards system now.. BECAUSE.. all the cheap europeans use it and it does not take much training to use cuplock etc.

System scaffold has ruined the game in the country to some degree.

we always use TF i have no desire to use system as i personaly hate the stuff, as its hard to load/unload , noisy all that banging , and you still end up using TF to get around certain situations with it.

it el never get in ,if anything it el get phased out ,have you ever seen a tie pattern for a system scaffold ie hilti ties if you are worken to the spec the building you were worken on wud fall down / tg 20 will soon make it impossible to use system on the street stik wid t&f or easyfix and a good staff and once the base is in you dnt level anything ..... fast and luks better than any system

it has its place (Scotland), personally its not my cup of tea, you have to lift every piece, not slide it or break like you can with tube.

You are right it`s extensively used up here but like every other bit of legislation (smoking ban ,good looks and generally being the best breed in the world ) it will hit you southerners to .
I know it`s not legislation (T&F is king ) but everything else is true .

It depends what you know really, most Brits, Dutch, New Zealanders are taught with T&F which is a bit more technical and gives everyone the feeling of job satisfaction which is great!! But if u look at the bigger picture clients these days want something that is cost efficient especially when it comes to labour costs. System will eventual take over i think hopefully the wages dont drop though??

System Scaffold

System scaffold are okay, but not sure how you would close the gaps to some of the older shaped buildings with some of the fixed deck lengths in some system.

Cuplok gets over this a bit using boards as you can join with tube and fittings to vary the bay lengths

It means you then need a lot of different sized bays, inside brackets, etc and a lot more head scratching for the setting out of the scaffold to the base and how it works to steps and staggers at upper levels.

Sure they must get over it in the continent, but not sure how.

Not sure if system works out cheaper in the long run as cost of purchase and stocking of kit does not outweigh the alleged labour savings.

We will see .......

Thats what going to happen it will be all system scaffolding and there will be no experienced guys in T & F and our industry will be all the poorer for it, lets face it any monkey can put cuplock up:weird:

systems fine for straight forward jobs with good access . any thing awkward or complicated and its useless . i worked with some scaffolders at sterling who would kick off every job with kwikstage even if it meant forcing a 4 foot square cock eyed between pipe racks .

:like most of you guys , i am t&f all day long, but given the choice between a haki staircase and t&f , my loyaltys start to wobble a bit. layher is a very good system ,but also very expensive to stock all components, the perry up system is also very good , like layher but with an improved decking and toe board ,although to my knowledge it has no staircase or roof system..and anyone who knows will tell you , once you've done a hanger in layher,t&f looks like very hard work...but having said all that for sheer adaptability , t&f every time.:D

Top Bottom