Ties and designs (1 Viewer)

platinum

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Now i have been on before moaning that i carry out contracts for Wimpey sites, and they require us to provide them with a design enginneer drawing for all 3 storey houses on site from this week ! we already have 20 units up, but they aint worried about them its the new ones coming out of the ground, so i spend £525 getting an engineer to do a generic drawing done for the 5 house types left on the job, and they are all the same apart from a window or 2 in different places.

Anyway they now tell me thats no good the design has to be for each individual house type at £525 a pop !!! and the QS wont pay up !!

The fuckin scaffold is the sdame for house type 2 or 3 or 4 !! 5 lifts, 1x loading bay all the bloody same !!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats going on man !!!!!

Also Ties, i designed them for window ties and then the best tie of all the house is square its boxed in cant go anywhere !!!! but ohh no says Wimpey, what about a hilti tie they say !!! then we are forced to erect a lift right after the brickie has finished, its green !!!! and will collaspe if drilled.

Sorry for going on, but i am slowing going insane !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Platinum:blink::nuts::eek:

havent done a lot of street or house work platinum but the more i read on the forum
the more its getting like it is on the industrial sector. and i think its gana get worse m8.

Platinum just tell em you,ll put a Butress on all 3 sides if theres enough space, That should put your price up.;)

Go and find a nice heavy shovel and beat him over the head with it.
The guy is obviously a muppet of the highest order.

sounds like someone wants you off site to me,maybe to get there own mates on.stick loads of extra rent on the others on site to claw some back.

Sounds like a right pain the ass , just another way to put the industry down , another example of some **** sat in a office dreaming up crap to justify his or her job

I would agree with that Paul.

Platinum,

I had a similar conundrum, but it worked a bit more the other way, I reckoned we needed a design for 3 & 4 storey jobs the safety guy said no way as they are all basic, which they were but I wasn't happy and felt they are only basic if you can follow a recognised tie pattern. The usual discussion ensued and the compromise was the timber ties from Appolo which work dead on and do away the need for design completely.

As for the guy you are working for, tell him to read the work at height regs again.

I work direct for Wimpey's and yes they do require a drawing for 3 storey houses. As far as I'm aware they have done their own drawings but I'm sure they are generic. So generic in fact, that I've never seen one. If I need a drawing to scaffold a house at my age then i'm going to give up and be a greeter at Asda.

We do use window ties. When they come to fit the windows they leave the glass out where the ties are.

I take it their better organised than what we are used too as the internal work is almost complete before we get to take the scaffold down. The walls would be soaked if they left the glass out the window. I think the agent would have a heart attack if we even suggested it. Might ask him.:D

As soon as the roof is finished we take 2 lifts off for brickcleaning, downpipes and they then fit the windows. top floor windows are clear and only ties to first floor windows.

Theoretically they can't plaster, put stairs in etc until the building's watertight so no real delay.

i would drill the hilties and make sure i made sh*t of the brickwork , then ask them what they want to do ? always throw it straight back on them mate , there could be something in they want you out to get someone else in , i have seen this happen a couple of times before :wondering:

Funny how many ways there is to do the same job. We don't really do anything after it's built, once it's up it's up till the end. The roof level stay's up to tie the gables in and basically give them access to each gable without going up a separate access.

What I've always said about Wimpey. Same firm but a hundred different ways to do things. Yet they have a safety construction manual that details how every job is done, so you would think they would be consistent nationwide. Apparently not

i fookin hate whimpys and building sites **** every where and pompas pricks running them (but it pays the bills)

get the biggest drill bit you can possibly fit in the drill and do dirtiest biggest holes you possibly can . if that doesnt change his mind drill him . surely no designer would add hiltis to a new build drawing

We can offer you a tie that screws into the mortar joint. You can then use a ringbolt with it and when you have finished you just patch up the mortar.

Top Bottom