SCCR: Fall Prevention; Appraisal (1 Viewer)

Garry Adams

Reaction score
This Thread is a request for Data pertaining to Progressive Collective Fall Prevention Methods and Systems in General and ADVANCED GUARDRAIL SYSTEMS in Particular.

Quastions :

1) Has your Orginisation Sangtioned the use of Advanced Guardrail Systems ?.

2) Have you been introduced/trained to use the Systems ?.

3) Do you use any of the Advanced Guardrail Systems ?.

3.1) If you use the System, what is its advantages ?.

3.2) If you do not use the System, what is your perceived disadvantages ?.

In the interest of evaluating these Fall Prevention Methods and Systems, please participate---your views are important to us...

To view the afore mentioned Fall Prevention Methods and Systems, please access Document SG4:05 Appendix A.

Garry : for and on behalf of SCCR...

SCCR : Promotions and New Technoligies Secretary...

1) YES
2) YES
3) Not really / or unless we have to
3.1) Keeps everyone else happi
3.2) More Manual handling!

Dave

Good luch with your interview M8---aye,Im doing fine, Keepin Busy up at St Fergus...

I am sorry that I cannot add to your data Garry, as I have never personally used the advanced guard rail system, I was off the tools before they came in.
I have however observed scaffolders deploying the system as well as the step up system of work during my visits to site in my capacity as H & S consultant or inspecting scaffold structures.

In my opinion both systems actually increase the risk of injury to the scaffolders deploying both systems of work. Strain injuries due to poor ergonomics and posture, which will increase year on year. Increased instances of slip and trip due to stepping up and down repeatedly onto steps that are not big enough in area nor provide a “safe working Platform”

I believe that the whole issue of scaffolders working with an unprotected edge needs a complete re-think. I worked for the best part of 40 years with open edges and was well aware of the consequences if I did not give my full attention to where I was and what I was doing. I was never afraid of heights although the botty tightened on a few occasions I have always respected heights and knew the price I would pay for a lack of concentration.

Scaffolders in my time were classed as climbers and men that were willing to take the risks involved in the job, we were trained on the job by the scaffolders of the day that knew the risks and passed on their skill and knowledge to us. We did not require page on page of risk assessments or methods of work statements. We were aware of the risk and knew how to scaffold thank you very much. We had a pride in every job we erected, we worked hard, and played hard and in the main stuck together when the gaffers got up to their little tricks. If you did not come up to the mark you were off the gang and down the road.

Sorry lads I have gone off on one, but the whole question of working on an unprotected edge has been grossly over emphasised in recent years, led by the manufactures of scaffold equipment that at a price will solve the problem for us, and with the help of other organisations try their best to make us and our employers use their systems of work.

I wish the SCCR well in their efforts to get us a voice, when others are deciding how we work and what systems of work we use

As for me the scaffolding game I knew and loved, has gone forever. I hope you younger lads will reclaim your right to work in a safe and proper manner without people that have never swung a spanner telling you how to do your job

Rigger

Thank you for your Observations and the associated perceived Acute and Chronic injuries what may well be contributed to the sustained use of the Fall Prevention Methods and Systems available within the Market Place.

I have tried to access to any Acute injuries associated with these Systems, however, RIDDOR and Accident Injuries Investigations do not have the resources to detail the causations and therefore cannot recommend remedial and corrective measures to eliminate/reduce recurrence.

As you have eluded to the Chronic injuries will not come to reveal them selfs until a passage of considerable time has elapsed.

I enjoyed your reference to the awareness of Working at Hight pre-HaSaW, I too can recall days of the white knuckle and clenching of the buttocks brigade---aye, started wi SGB in 72 and never looked back :eek:

Thanks again for your observations, most appreciated

Garry...

Garry

1 No
2 No
3 No
3.1 N/A
3.2 N/A

Very well put Rigger, nicely written that, my sentiments exactly.
Never used advanced, or step up and feel that as Rigger says that scaffolding is being taken away from us. Went into scaffolding for the excitement of it and the money of course. well thats being taken from us as well. How boring is putting handrail around a steel structure off a cherry picker. I had pride in what i did for a living we were the 4th emergency service when ever anyone needed a safe platform to get to a problem we built it, now we cant build jacksh*t without a design drawing to do it. If thats the way its going you might as well forget 90% of the modules at training centres and just teach the new scaffs how to read a drawing properly. To much red tape and too much being wrapped up in cotton wool our industry is being diluted:mad:

Same old thing falls from Height the stats, how many are actual scaffolders, 15 years and ive never fallen (touch wood) and ive never seen anyone ethier, or talking to others have i heard of it. other trades are the problem how many do you see climbing up a ladder with gear in there hands, removing boards to get at something and not putting them back. Thats the problem others touching scaffolding with there shifters.:eek:

Sorry in answer to your question Garry. no and not applicable to all. well that was simple.

Last edited:
mmmm very good please keep these this study coming in as this will be used in the meeting with the HSE..
Nice 1 garry.

not come a cross the step up as yet gary but will say one thing mod it and it would be great on a hanger instead of a butt lol.

i said 2 my mate the same thing dico the very 1st time i saw them then thought about it it wouldnt work

T.ANIMAL

Thanks for your valuable input, all good points and will be noted and compiled into a General Consensus of opinion.

It is only by collating Testimonials and Educated Evaluations and Opinions regarding Fall Prevention Methods and Systems that we will begin to ascertain a consensus as to their Fit For Purpose Statouse---if only it were as simple is that.

Garry...

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Steve

It was with the HSE in mind that I posted a request for appraisal and feed back---

I know it's early days, however, I have not had one POSITIVE response as yet.

Garry...

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

dico

a butt !---I just use a Joe 90 :nuts:.

Na I prefab the dropper's with the butts at right angles to the ledger, and fire a board along the butts :nuts:

This Thread is a request for Data pertaining to Progressive Collective Fall Prevention Methods and Systems in General and ADVANCED GUARDRAIL SYSTEMS in Particular.

Quastions :

1) Has your Orginisation Sangtioned the use of Advanced Guardrail Systems ?.
NO only the alloy step-up
2) Have you been introduced/trained to use the Systems ?.
YES
3) Do you use any of the Advanced Guardrail Systems ?.
YES
3.1) If you use the System, what is its advantages ?.
NONE
3.2) If you do not use the System, what is your perceived disadvantages ?.
MANUAL HANDLING MATERIAL MORE THAN IS NEEDED

Great thread Garry.

Not used the step up or advanced rail. Only Advanced tunneling rail works a treat!!

Anyway over 45 I am not going to start to step up & down to the top handrail my knees are f****d & my backs just as bad from wearing the flipping harness I never have to clip on!!

Hope this helps!!

Ragscaff

Joe 90

Thanks for your input---are you working in the Oil and Gas Sector Offshore ?

Garry...

Top Bottom