Birdcage putlogs (1 Viewer)

cgizzle

Reaction score
Just after some clarification, am using ali beams on a birdcage with spacings at 2.4 centres, can i lap the planks with this span with out an extra putlog?

shunt b scaffolding if u call m planks,obviously u dont no what u r doing!

Mate, i work in New Zealand and we call them planks here, so jog on. What is the point of hassleing someone for calling them by different name? Im sure we do lots of things different here thats why i joined this forum to see how others do things and to learn new ways. If you are not learnig something new then you are going backwards, pull your head out of you arse and realise that things happen differently and have other names than in your own little inbred world. Rant over.

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

shunt b scaffolding if u call m planks,obviously u dont no what u r doing!

You shouldn't be using the english language as you obviously don't know what you are doing!

Last edited:
Like it oz u cant beat a scaff rant its all **** just a different day hands up sorry u plank ha ha but inbread thats lower than a snakes belly rant

Like it oz u cant beat a scaff rant its all **** just a different day hands up sorry u plank ha ha but inbread thats lower than a snakes belly rant

yea good call, prob went a bit far there sorry! Get annoyed at people who can see out past their own ways though!

Have we kissed and made up then:p normally only a H & S suit thats not from a scaffold background comes out with planks and poles:nuts: couple of years back did my basic scaff inspection course and the instructor on that had never seen an Sk before how strange is that:smile1:

Hi cgizzle

Sorry not sure what you mean by extra putlogs. See that there is a difference in names for items from previous threads.

Are the beams spaced at 2.4m centers.

Do you then have tubes as board bearers spanning between the beams and tieing the top chord of the tube. If so what centers are they at ?

What load is the birdcage supposed to be taking. ?

We would not lap boards/ planks as this creates a trip hazard. Always need extra tubes to pick up ends of boards.

If you have more information will see if I can help

Chris Eng:)

Sorry,as mentioned above,planks etc is a term used with people not in the industry,but saying that what do you therfore class as a put log?

Birdcage terms

Hi

CGizzle comes from NZ so they must call things different out there.

I think a putlog is our board bearer.

>???????

Mate, i work in New Zealand and we call them planks here, so jog on. What is the point of hassleing someone for calling them by different name? Im sure we do lots of things different here thats why i joined this forum to see how others do things and to learn new ways. If you are not learnig something new then you are going backwards, pull your head out of you arse and realise that things happen differently and have other names than in your own little inbred world. Rant over.

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

You shouldn't be using the english language as you obviously don't know what you are doing!

Nice reply!!
Years ago we used to say pipes, planks and clamps.

Thanks for your reply Chris, we run tube putlogs on top of our ledgers to sit the planks (boards before i get it again!) on.

We have been asked to build a sloping mobile scaffold over a pool. The scaffold on each side has 4 x 2.4m long bays and we will use ali 750 beams to span the pool sloping about 7 degress. The beams will be at 2.4m centres so I am trying to work out if i can lap the planks over the beams or if i have to run putlogs at 1200mm centres at right angles to to beams and run the planks the other way.

Hope this makes sense thanks for the input it really is great

cgizzle, I take it you're using 38mm thick boards, if so all boards need to be supported at 1.2m centres and butted end to end. to that is 4 transoms to a 13ft (3.9m) board.

I know we used to do it years ago, but I wouldn't like to walk on boards with transoms at 2.4m centres let alone leave them for a customer.

Pool Platform

Hi cgizzle

Colo is correct that you will need to fit the tubes to the top of the beams.

Spanning 2.4m between the beams with the tubes will only allow for light access on the boards.

If you have a heavy load you will need to fit more tubes at close centers and 0.15m from the end of the boards so that they can be butted together and still supported.

The beams should be tied on the top chord at 1.2m and at 2.4m on the bottom chord with plan bracing to the top chord to achieve their most load capacities.

These tubes and plan bracing will help stiffen the whole structure up if it is to be mobile.

You should also plan brace the foot lift so that it stays square and stiffened during moving.

Hope this help

Chris Eng:smile1:

cgizzle, I take it you're using 38mm thick boards, if so all boards need to be supported at 1.2m centres and butted end to end. to that is 4 transoms to a 13ft (3.9m) board.

I know we used to do it years ago, but I wouldn't like to walk on boards with transoms at 2.4m centres let alone leave them for a customer.

New Zealand scaffold planks or boards are generally the laminated type which can be supported at max 1-8m centres and in some cases up to 2-5m centres.
These boards are now widely used in the middle east as they do not warp in the heat and humidity like the normal Uk boards

cgizzle I suppose it's all down to your local regulations and guidance, manufacturers guidelines, and your design drawings as to what you need to do with your transoms mate

cgizzle pull your head out of you arse and realise that things happen differently and have other names than in your own little inbred world. Rant over.[COLOR="Silver" said:

LOL...inbred.. Obviously heard about Barnsley, even in NZ! haha:nuts:

birdcage planks

Hi cgizzle

Can see why you may call the planks now instead of boards. Not come across them myself.

Hope you job goes okay

Chris Eng

Thanks for the advice guys, yea our planks will span a max 2.4m centres and according to the best practice guidelines is not the best but ok. I still think i will run tube on top of the planks as im worried about the void below and would like more support. Thanks Chris for you advice was planning on having lots of plan bracing but the advice on tieing the beams was great.

Cgizzle

Hi mate been following this thread from the start almost posted myself as regards to "planks":eek:.Others did post and put thier hands up when you came back with both barrels Blazing :D you then diluted your response as a bit OTT sign of a true scaff :cool:

Good wishes to you in the future and keep on posting It does not matter a toss what we call the equipment, Its about scaffolders helping each other along the way

Top Bottom