**beams**

Rev up!!

Reaction score
:sad2::sad2:Hi chaps,
ally beams?
Does anybody know the correct way round or pattern form using beams?
i was told by an advanced the first diagnal rung should resemble a 'v' shape not '^' shape.?

COME ON LADS I KNOW 1 OV YOU'S GOT THE ANSWER.:sad2::sad2:

IM PART2 BY THE WAY

Never heard of it ever making a bit of difference, it will have the same load bearing capacity whatever way the V is positioned. I'm sure there will be loads of theories on it but I can't see it makes a blind bit of difference.

Don't suppose it matters, but since the beam is loaded from above and since braces tend to be stronger in tension than they are in compression, I'd tend to go along with the advice you were given...i.e. 'hung' from the beam end.

it dont make any difference,its only when they are joined that the v needs to follow through

Never heard of it ever making a bit of difference, it will have the same load bearing capacity whatever way the V is positioned. I'm sure there will be loads of theories on it but I can't see it makes a blind bit of difference.

I asked the question to an engineer once and he told me that it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.

Just fantasy, a bit like reversing the middle bolt on a unit beam joint.

interesting i was told the same as that 10 year ago but dismissed it as an old wives tale

down the tube -- whens that programme comin then

interesting i was told the same as that 10 year ago but dismissed it as an old wives tale

down the tube -- whens that programme comin then

Just finishing the module that works out a load list for progressive bricklayer's scaffolders on a per lift basis. Lot more code involved, but I'm getting there.

Beam Arrangement

Hi

It does make a difference the way a beam is fitted.

For example Layher 750 beams have a 27% lower capacity when made with a "A" arrangement rather than a "V" arrangement.

Not sure that other tests have been done with other beams, but it is best to make them "V" throughout.

It all depends on the type of beam.

All the best

Chris Eng:)

Hi

It does make a difference the way a beam is fitted.

For example Layher 750 beams have a 27% lower capacity when made with a "A" arrangement rather than a "V" arrangement.

Not sure that other tests have been done with other beams, but it is best to make them "V" throughout.

It all depends on the type of beam.

All the best

Chris Eng:)

Yea I have been told this by the Layher designers that they should be placed in the V arrangement,

I was told many years ago that beams should be fitted with the V arrangement. The reason being (and it seems reasonable to me) that tubes etc are stronger in tension than they are in compression. i.e. tubes dont stretch but they can buckle. therefore the first strut should be a tension strut as this is the strongest configuration.

This is exactly the same reason that the top chord of the beams has twice as much lacing and the plan bracing, because this is the compression chord whereas the bottom chord is the tension chord. Except on a cantilevered beam.

Perfectly clear (I think not)

:sad2::sad2:Hi chaps,
ally beams?
Does anybody know the correct way round or pattern form using beams?
i was told by an advanced the first diagnal rung should resemble a 'v' shape not '^' shape.?

COME ON LADS I KNOW 1 OV YOU'S GOT THE ANSWER.:sad2::sad2:

IM PART2 BY THE WAY

Rev Up V rather than A is the strongest I was told this before I took advanced and always remembered it!!!

All the testing i've done on beams has been based on them being V side up.

do you mean the section with the upright section in it that should be the v or the A arrangement never told at college the correct way

I have never seen it written BUT…..
I was always taught as a trainee at SGB that the first brace always came down thus the load would be in tension. I have followed this method now for 38 years and it has yet to be proved incorrect.
However during construction this only works if you are picking the beam up right at the end.
I am aware that Both Haki and Layher Both publish 2 sets of figures dependent upon which way up you install your beam.

Layher issued drawings commonly indicate the V or A configuration.

Any big loads always are in V axis.

We use X beams, = best of both worlds with world class welding, some of the other alloy beams on the market look like the weld was sneezed on!

Top Bottom