staggering joints/sleeves in handrails (1 Viewer)

I always do, looks uniformed all the way up, but have been told that you dont have stagger handrail joints ?:eek:h:

not only have i been told to stagger them iv had to go back and splice the ones that werent . my arguement was that only the ledgers should be staggered as if you do the handrail with the ledgers and stagger both handrails then remove the handrail the ledger sleeves could end up in the same bay. this has happened to me when cutting out handrails for loading bays and stair towers

not only have i been told to stagger them iv had to go back and splice the ones that werent . my arguement was that only the ledgers should be staggered as if you do the handrail with the ledgers and stagger both handrails then remove the handrail the ledger sleeves could end up in the same bay. this has happened to me when cutting out handrails for loading bays and stair towers
Sounds like someone taking the ledger rules to the extreme. The scaff designer's on here might answer your question better.

i always keep the ledgers the same and stagger the handrail unless its changed (again) it is no more then 3 joints in a bay , anyway the handrail is just that , a handrail :)

I always stagger the ledgers, and let the handrails just land wherever they land. Staggering ledgers has been the rule since I can remember when we didn't put any rail at all on none working lifts. I've heard nothing to contradict this. I think there is a paragraph in TG:20 08 that states that the handrail can be included in the stagger, but why bother just stagger the handrails then, like alan66 says you can cut and carve the rails all you like without affecting the stagger. One I have come accross before though is, on a treble handrail punched off the steels on a steel frame building, the safety officer didn't like that the three sleeves landed in the same bay each time. He had us go back and splice the middle sleeve all the way round the block. A bit OTT I thought.

i no one thing i have to keep looking over the side i got got a memorie like a sieve.

always stagger ledgers

hand rails i just do what ever works easiest

Bang on, same as gus.

That's what I tried to say earlier but I think I only confused the issue.

I bet that was from a guy who has never turned a spanner in his life and has totally mis-understood the information he was fed during his scaffold inspectors course. I am all for being nice but some people deserve a Barney on the heid from 3 lifts.:mad:

Since when has a handrail been structral on an independent ? its a guardrail to ''guard'' you from the edge ? Not to do the job of a ledger ?

Since when has a handrail been structral on an independent ? its a guardrail to ''guard'' you from the edge ? Not to do the job of a ledger ?
Well said Redviking have you got any pictures :D

Top Bottom