Scaffolding collapse. York.

There appear to be two ring bolts still attached to the scaffold but the shields are not still attached?
There is little sign of any other ties.
There is a lack of PPE on the site operatives in attendance.

Twenty ring ties into a listed brick faced building wouldn't stop a truck pulling it off the face of the building though would they? It does look like there were a lot of joints in the pavement lift so once the ties just above that have pulled out and the scaffold has lifted off the joint pins, the scaffold is going to have little or no support from the ground and is only going one way. It is difficult to see what protection was there to keep vehicles and scaffold apart, the lack of which was probably the worst error. (On a day like today, I probably wouldn't bother with a hard hat if there was nothing left above 6' to fall on my head!)

Twenty ring ties into a listed brick faced building wouldn't stop a truck pulling it off the face of the building though would they? It does look like there were a lot of joints in the pavement lift so once the ties just above that have pulled out and the scaffold has lifted off the joint pins, the scaffold is going to have little or no support from the ground and is only going one way. It is difficult to see what protection was there to keep vehicles and scaffold apart, the lack of which was probably the worst error. (On a day like today, I probably wouldn't bother with a hard hat if there was nothing left above 6' to fall on my head!)

You may be right about the 20 anchors TG6 but if you don't put them in you don't know what will happen? Its a reasonable assumption however that the job will come down without them.
PPE is not a choice it is a requirement.

Gotta be honest though, not sure how the rings came out but the shields are not there, not seen this before?

I have seen situations where the shell is not on the anchor when it is pulled but also have a theory on why the shell may come out of the wall and not be on the anchor after it has been shaken about a bit. I won't share that.

On PPE being a requirement, I think that we may need a separate discussion. Paraphrased from the Regulations and explanatory notes:- PPE should only be used as a last resort. Other means of removing risk should be applied first and PPE only used if the risks cannot be controlled. When used, PPE should protect the user from the risks present. Hard hats are used on most construction sites because of risks that can't be controlled by other means. If you head is above anything that may fall on it or swing round and hit it, there is no need to wear a hard hat. If something can hit your head or face from the side, a full face motorcycle helmet might be the sort of thing that is necessary.

I say this as someone who has a three inch scar across the top of my head dating back from long ago so I am in favour of wearing hard hats when it is appropriate. I wouldn't castigate someone for not wearing one in this situation. I believe, from talking to a stop/go signalman in America that hard hats are obligatory regardless of the risk so things may be different in different countries.

Not sure the risk of head injury is not present in dismantling a collapsed scaffold and not sure the risk can be designed out (whilst I happen to agree with you) that said I have the same concerns even in the yard in this temperatures but if someone gets hurt the HSE will show little mercy.

As for not sharing, its how we all learn
regards
Alan

Top Bottom