Fall from Scaffold Southall (1 Viewer)

C

ChrisEng

Hi

Even just the small scaffolds can be deadly.

Sad that somebody who volunteered did not come back home at the end of the day.

Scaffold looks okay, but not ladder or ladder gate that I can see.

Think ladder gates should become standard issue on scaffolds.

Extract below

Investigation underway into fatal scaffolding fall

Aug 25 2010 By James Gates
Shrubbery Road, Southall, where a man died falling from scafolding

AN INVESTIGATION is underway after a man fell to his death from scaffolding outside a home in Southall.

Officers from the Health and Safety Executive are looking into the incident which took place in Shrubbery Road, Southall on Saturday August 21.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: "We can confirm that we were called at 2.54pm to reports of a man fallen from scaffolding at a building site in Shrubbery Road, Southall. Unfortunately the man, 58, died at the scene. The death is being treated as non-suspicious.

"The Health and Safety Executive has been informed. The matter is being investigated by officers from Ealing Council and a report is being prepared for the coroner."

A spokesman for the HSE said it was aware of the death and that the matter was being looked into.

Hillingdon Coroner's Court said that man was identified as Amriq Mann, from Bexley Heath, Kent, who was married and doing volunteer work when he died. He was pronounced dead at the scene by a paramedic at 3.32pm.

PLEASE NOTE THIS PHOTO IS NOT OF THE SITE. IT WAS INCORRECTLY ATTACHED TO THE ARTICLE PUBLISHED IN THE EALING GASZZETE WEB SITE ON THE 25TH AUGUST. PLEASE SEE FULL DETAILS BY S2L BELOW.

I HAVE NOT REMOVED THE PHOTO WHICH WAS INCORRECT AT THE REQUEST OF S2L AND THE CLIENT OF THE SITE. THE PHOTO SHOWED A SMALL HOUSING JOB WITH NO LADDER GATE.

Last edited:
as you say chris - big shame unnessacery accident and that ladder access should have been gated

I don`t understand why the top handrail on both lifts has not been continued right through the scaffold .
It`s sad when anyone dies on site but to be doing volunteer work is especially sad .Thoughts for his family .

I don`t understand why the top handrail on both lifts has not been continued right through the scaffold .
It`s sad when anyone dies on site but to be doing volunteer work is especially sad .Thoughts for his family .
Condolences to Mr Mann's family.

Sad indeed.
Problem being that there is always someone prepared to undercut legit companies and slash up jobs.

Prime example,
I priced a job a couple of weeks ago for a domestic customer. I did the price dirt cheap but allowed for all the normal bells n whistles safety. Drove past a few days later and another company has slashed up some total peice of crap for probably £50 less and thats all the customer see's, he not interested in what the company policies are, he just wants cheap.
This job that was put up didnt even have stop end handrails on, let alone a ladder gate ffs. Job was a total abortion.
How can the companies that do things the right way and take pride compete when shisters lke this keep undercutting you.

Condolences to Mr Mann's family. all scaffolds should be gated a big one INTERNAL LADDERS cant understand y is not cowboys comes 2 mind cant b doing with rough scaffolders it winds me rite up rant

death at Southall CORRECTION OF FACTS

Dear All
I would like to take this opportunity to just straighten a few facts which some on this blog are making assumptions and DONOT know the facts.

It is a most unfortunate death and as I am investigating this myself, my sincere prayers & thoughts is with the family and the volunteer community who have been building this site for over 3 years now.

a) The HSE are aware of the fatality and attended site approx. 3hrs post incident which was on a Saturday
b) It was not a scaffold but a mobile tower which had internal ladder & hatch
c) The person who died actually was a reputable volunteer who for a high profile company during the day giving safety training also and was one of the most respected safety conscious chaps on site
d) This incident was not about cutting corners by the client or contractor, it was the fact that the person in question who died made a split second error of judgement by climbing over the outside edge (not using the inner hatch) but not to egress the aluminium tower but to climb on the outside to reach for a cable dangling down and it was with regret he slipped and fell. He was not even supposed to be in this area as these works were not even on the weekend’s schedule. Which this site operates for all volunteers.
e) To the person making the remarks about undercutting & client etc cutting corners I have this to say, please before you pass any judgement on this, get you facts straight first, if you do not know have respect for the family before passing judgement. This when I arrived on site post death and the body was still on site with HSE, Ambulance, Police etc., the site was one of the tidiest sites, well organised, PPE etc. As a point of fact, I have investigated 8 previous deaths across the world personally and neither gets any easier. It only hit me this one some 5 days later, but you have to be focussed and respect the family, meet the friends and colleagues and try to interview them is by no means an easy task.
f) The client has out of respect closed the site down since the incident until further notice and with agreement with HSE who we are in discussions with.
g) This site is a community hall for RSSB, please check out the teachings of this and people who attend have no form of religious base but is a centre where you have to attend the meetings at least 6 months before you are allowed to work as a volunteer for any aspect, including working on a building site to understand why you are volunteering. Noting also all people the client vetts for their existing skills which could be used to specific tasks.
I wonder if we adopted this rule of 6 months before any of us lot were allowed to work on sites, ALL TRADES, irrespective of financial issues BUT more of "who will pass I wonder???" !!! Food for thought ladies & gentlemen in our industry.
h) Please also note that there are certain appointed sub-contractors for specific works who do get paid, roofers, scaffolders, steel works etc etc.
i) To add also to their emotional problems, one of the chaps who witnessed the incident to a point, who was nearing retiring age died the other day of a heart failure no related to site works but when you time is up your time is up.

I conclude ladies & gentlemen, slanderess remarks without knowing the facts, you never know who (like me) are reading these blogs or informed of such remarks, so please may I ask for respect and understanding for not only the family who have lost their husband, father etc, *(note he was 55 not 58 as noted in someone's report) but also the other close friend volunteers who work with him. Noting also this site has many doctors, surgeons & nurses and other first aiders who fought hard to save the man’s life and as you can appreciate every effort was made MORE than you would get on any other site.
I think we should all take a step back and look at people like these who give up their own time for FREE and come from all over UK travelling as far away as Leeds to volunteer their services & skills for free & take our hats off to people like this who do it for not just their local community, but communities across UK.
My sincere prayers & thoughts to all involved on this project & trust your completion in the next few months will be in honour of your friend and colleague.

S2L

In response to the last post, obviously the information stated was incorrect.
The image clearly shows an independent scaffold, not an aluminium tower. I/we stand corrected on this. Our thoughts are obviously with the family of the deceased at the moment and to hint that anything otherwise is just foolish.

I stand by my comments regarding quality issues with scaffolding contractors though. As history shows, the majority of fatalities/injuries are a result of poor quality workmanship or as in this case a worker has cut a corner himself.

This is an open forum which invites open discussion on all topics including funnily enough, scaffolding related issues. This thread is one of those.
As I have already stated, wrong information in the opening thread has lead to some mis-informed opinions, how ever I dont think anything untoward has been said so far.
On that note, I do thank you for coming in here and putting the record straight for us.

Dave.

Thanks Dave Ja Vu

The attached picture by ChrisEng was not of even this site in Southall, that's where peoples misconception and misleading come from. The building where the fatality happened was not a house but a very large community hall. Nothing like the photo Chris Eng put on his blog

S2L

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Chris Eng please rad carefully my full reply and ask to have your attached phot which is not even of the site in question removed from the blog. It is totally misleading and false & my full in depth reply is on the blog about a pages worth as I am involved with investigating this unfortunate incident. See also Dave Ja Vu apology blog which I am very greatful for.

S2L

Fall in southall

Hi S2L

Thanks for your blog, and providing further information on the accident.

It is tragic when a death occurs on site. I feel for his family and friends that he was lost when just helping others.

My report was to highlight to others the risk and dangers on sites at all times, and we should work with care and consideration at all times.

The photo that was attached was as posted in the Ealing Gazzette on the 25th August. See attached link below.

Investigation underway into fatal scaffolding fall - Ealing Gazette

Sorry that the we jumped to conclusions, but now we have all the facts. Thanks.

It is not very often that we find out full details so that others can be aware of the causes and risks involved.

I will update the blog above to state that it is not the correct photo and to read your statement.

If you want me to remove the photo let me know, but I think it serves to show the point with regarding ladder access points.

Thanks

Chris Eng:sad2:

Yes its sad, a loss of life, but as for Chris he was passing onto us some information that he had no need to the think was anything but true, something that would make us a bit more aware the risks we face everyday.
As for slander maybe look at Ealing Gazzette and speak with there editor if anyone has been caused distress thru this thread.
We will still discuss subjects on here and have our views:evil:

Top Bottom