Chelmsford Collapse

HatterScaff

Reaction score
Scaffold drama at row of shops

THIS IS the moment a huge scaffolding structure came crashing down on to a Chelmsford shopping parade.
Miraculously, no-one was injured, but passers-by said if it had been minutes later they would have been crushed.
The accident happened in Kings Road on Thursday when a lorry driver accidentally crashed into the scaffolding.
Scaffolding company LPS, based in Rainham, put up the structure on Thursday morning and then left, but at about 3.30pm it received an SOS call from the Mojlish Indian Takeaway.
Mojlish is on the end of a row of shops on the Melbourne estate road, with a side street next to it.
The scaffolding was put up against the Indian takeaway.
Next to Mojlish is a Chinese takeaway, and a delivery truck had gone down the side street to drop off goods.
But as the driver left to turn back on to Kings Road, he crashed into the scaffolding – and the whole thing came toppling down.
"I thought there was going to be a punch-up," said witness Mike Osang, who lives nearby.
"The lorry driver gave his details to the man in the Indian takeaway, but he said part of the scaffolding was sticking out too far and into the side street.
"He said it was the scaffolding company's fault."
When asked about this, the owner of the scaffolding company, who was busy scrambling the structure back up, said: "Tell him to say that to my face.
"There's nothing wrong with my scaffolding. He got into the side street all right, so why couldn't he get out?
"It's all the driver's fault. It was really dangerous and could have hit someone."
Witness Mike Osang, 29, added: "I am a regular at Mojlish and if I had arrived a little bit earlier I could have been injured or killed".
Crowds gathered to watch three scaffolders frantically bolt up the structure and put it back in place.
"It'll take us about two hours," said one of them.
"Why did the driver run off so quickly if he hadn't done anything wrong?"

have had plenty of scaffolds hit by trucks (usually caused by tubes hanging out to far)

Hi

Just a couple of photos from Essex Chronicle

Unfortunately very small images so not clear to details.

Still surprised that it all came over even if a lorry hit it.

What happened to the ties ? They could still get ripped out though if hit hard enough.

Chris Eng

Attachments

• chelmsford 1.jpg
    chelmsford 1.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Chelmsford 2.jpg
    Chelmsford 2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 38
Top Bottom