Pros. and Cons of being a designer (1 Viewer)

Q.Silver

Reaction score
My cousin just finished his A levels and is interested in scaffold design and was wondering what kinds of salaries he can expect after graduating. I wasn't sure, I had a look around on line and came across a range of £16k to £18k rising to £25k with experience, does that sound about right?

Over to you scaffold designers....

Judging what all these designers driving BMW charge you sure that shouldnt read 100k per year

:laugh: My cousin will over take my pay in no time.

Scaffold designer

Hi Q.Silver

Once you cousin has graduated you are right he will be on about £ 18k. He will have no knowledge of scaffolding and will need to learn the various types of scaffold structures and the calculations required.

Once experienced in the current market he could expect to earn in excess of £25, but that may be after two or three years in a scaffold design office.

Not sure where Scaffy is coming from. I dont know any design engineers with nice big new BMW's. I got a Mitsubishi L200 truck for business and a K reg Nissan Micra for private use.

I do know a few scaffold contractor/ owners who drive around in new Range Rovers with personalise number plates. So may be more money in that.

Wish him luck in his career. Been in scaffolding most of my working life and it has always been rewarding. Not always financially though.

Chris Eng

maybe he would benefit from being on the tools for a couple of years,so he can understand what problems we find that the designers dont see.and we have to sort it out.(knowledge is wisdom).

Hi Q.Silver

Once you cousin has graduated you are right he will be on about £ 18k. He will have no knowledge of scaffolding and will need to learn the various types of scaffold structures and the calculations required.

Once experienced in the current market he could expect to earn in excess of £25, but that may be after two or three years in a scaffold design office.

Not sure where Scaffy is coming from. I dont know any design engineers with nice big new BMW's. I got a Mitsubishi L200 truck for business and a K reg Nissan Micra for private use.

I do know a few scaffold contractor/ owners who drive around in new Range Rovers with personalise number plates. So may be more money in that.

Wish him luck in his career. Been in scaffolding most of my working life and it has always been rewarding. Not always financially though.

Chris Eng

I represent that remark Chris!!!

Hi Q.Silver

Chris Eng

Thanks for that Chris. I have always told him not to be in a hurry to earn loads and loads of money like what we all see on TV. That real life is more of a challenge.

Numbnuts you have a good point there, thanks for that everyone I feel I am armed with knowledge and ready to have an informed chat with him.

"Designers driving nice big BMW's" - I know who that is!... but Im not gona name and shame lol.

But I think he's from Bristol! ;-)

Does that mean you have a MERC or a FERRARI then ?????

If MERC or FERRARI is some code for borrowing my better halfs Corsa then I definately have one! lol
Hopefully not be too long before I get a car again but at the moment I'm managing without - I'm lucky where I am, a lot of site visits I do I can make on the train.

Top Bottom