Training

R

ragscaff

Report on training posted on the SCCR sticky need comments. PLEASE :D

its about time they started listening ragscaff.meet a young lad saturday part 2 cisrs.
20 yrs olde.lovely lad but just cos you can errect a tower a independent a hop up and
handrail dosent make you a scaffolder as long as certain people keep getting there course fees its just gana go on and on and on hope people start listening soon m8.

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

years ago an olde scaff friend of mine used to work on the channel rail link in kent
he told me that there were a lot of lads that had just passed there course . and were certificated.he told me half didnt no what a puncheon was.and he also told me if a
complicated job came in they would down tools and go to cabin.the one how had best
idear built the job.its funny channel rail link was years ago.but it is still happening so lets
not keep going on about trainning,we all no its exsperiance bring on the sccr.

Well said dico, I think this job will always be about 80% experience, but not to know what a puncheon is after coming through the citb training beggars belief.

Maybe it's the citb and their training centres we should be looking at?

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

Another thing we will need to bear in mind is the job itself has changed. You can't ask a young guy to erect system round a house for a few years then expect him to be able to erect a hanger on a heli-deck without having a few questions to ask. Managers and supervisors tend to keep the same type of work for their proffered squads and have to take some responsibility when expecting the younger ones to step up to the mark and find they cant.

That being said, not knowing what a puncheon is.:eek:

Same old sh*t, different day for this subject.
I agree with you all on this one and its something that pis5es me off badly.

The training centres are woefully bad. From talking to our trainees and seeing how they ae progressing they learn virtually nothing at the centres. Its all controlled environments, all measurements, methods of build are given to them prior to starting. A weaker hand can get carried by the rest of the gang.

Nothing can replace experience and being lead by a scaffolder that takes a pride in his work. I used to like working with a keen labourer who took and interest (but thats another subject, hard to come by...) in what he was doing.
NASC are just blinkered in their thinking what goes on at training centres, I spoke to Dave Mosely a few months ago on this very subject, might as well just beat my head against a wall.

Dave.

The SCCR are preparing for meetings with the NASC, CISRS & Training providers with the input from the HSE.

That is why I have asked for your opinions. The SCCR is still young & the forum is a great tool for us to get the broad few from a wide selection of scaffolders. That is what it is all about, working for you!!

Please have input just as you did when the questionnaire was done, that was a great success.

Regards Ragscaff

Agree with everything thats been said, but you can not learn this game in a classroom. The C.I.T.B is a joke it needs to go back to the days when you worked with guys that had been in the game for 20-30 years, before CITB was even thought of sadly i fear its to late.

That doesn`t surprise me , far to many people in this industry with not a bit of practical experience giving out orders . It has to stop , hopefully the SCCR can make a difference .

We can only progress with the help of the men with the spanners!!

Then the companies will listen, then we will have a voice!

You all think the HSE is out to get you, why then are they the only ones willing to help us!!

Some of you say you want change but have you applied for a membership??

Numbers mean we keep progress with the HSE then the CITB will follow then the CISRS will listen. You will have a voice!!

Ragscaff
SCCR
Chairman

Come on guys join up , this is all moving now not just hype xxxx

Top Bottom