Extra labour cost for Step-ups ? (1 Viewer)

Mark_ISL

Reaction score
We were waiting for the next NASC seminar for the SG4:10 presentation before deciding what method to use for advanced guardrails, but use of the step-up is an option we're now going to trial on a couple of sites straight away.

Has anyone any views on extra labour costs for using the step-ups (or any other AGS method). We've had many different opinions, ranging from it actually saves time so should be cheaper :amazed: to it taking twice as long :wacko: Prior to actually seeing it out on site, we see it taking longer, but not inordinately so - what's the opinions of the more informed of you out there :blink1:

Using step ups works quiet well , wouldnt consider created an extra labour cost , only like standing on a beer crate !!
We looked at advanced guardrail and would say that adds time and also would worry about the equipment getting damaged - afterall it aint cheap

It does take longer,not that much actually when us consider you dont have to be clipped on as the guardrail is in place when you get to the next lift.The thing is you need training to say you know how to use it,we got Keith Smith and Arrow training at Doncaster to design a course for us and proudly have certificat 00001 in January this year.Block book and get men trained at weekends was the best way for us,it's about £80 a man for the training which takes almost a full day.
Training wages and equipment all extra cost but it should put you in good stead to gain more work from more conienshus clients.p.s. i carn't spell

Grum - what does that training cover then matey

The more we use the step ups the quicker we get with them.
I dont think you could really price your jobs based on them taking you longer, in the end you would just loose your customers to contractors that are prepared to swallow the costs. If your a reputable company I dont think there would be any need to worry.

In my opinion step ups are the only option at present. For a company our size the system are just way too expensive to even consider.

i have used the step up and advanced guard rail the step up takes no time at all if you use 4m tube thats the easest way i found other lads tryed it 6m but it looked hard work 2 me feeding them through the trannys

You do a practical with the sequence you have to do to use it correctly,the legislation and different types avaliable,as you are aware there is not just the step.

The more we use the step ups the quicker we get with them.
I dont think you could really price your jobs based on them taking you longer, in the end you would just loose your customers to contractors that are prepared to swallow the costs. If your a reputable company I dont think there would be any need to worry.

In my opinion step ups are the only option at present. For a company our size the system are just way too expensive to even consider.

I understand where you're coming from, but if it does indeed take longer, costs will have to increase in the long run. Anyone willing to absorb it in the current climate is either in the fortunate position of still having some slack left in their overhead costs, or is going to expect the lads to work even harder for their money :wacko:

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

i have used the step up and advanced guard rail the step up takes no time at all if you use 4m tube thats the easest way i found other lads tryed it 6m but it looked hard work 2 me feeding them through the trannys

We were pondering the same thing in the office the other day as well. Might mean that we get some use out of all those 21's that have been cut down by the Stihl saw butchers over the years :bigsmile:

Dave thought u guys where a big player.... tight arse.... , even we have considered them but will just get slung on the back of a wagon and smashed up bit like all the other dear stuff
Mark - like everything try to put the costs up , market to volatile at the mo , what would you consider to be an oncost or labour cost for either product

It does take longer,not that much actually when us consider you dont have to be clipped on as the guardrail is in place when you get to the next lift.

According to the ScaffStep user guide, you should still be clipped on to the ledger behind you before climbing onto the step, in case you fall sideways or manage to slip under the single guardrail ?

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Dave thought u guys where a big player.... tight arse.... , even we have considered them but will just get slung on the back of a wagon and smashed up bit like all the other dear stuff
Mark - like everything try to put the costs up , market to volatile at the mo , what would you consider to be an oncost or labour cost for either product

Aye, we think the ali advanced rail systems are too dear, and too fragile for regular use. At least with the step it can be treated like PPE and issued individually and hopefully more care taken of it.

As for the cost, christ only knows - putting the rail on itself is no different to the SG4 method of creating a scaffolders platform, but hooking the step on and then climbing up and down it carefully with out twisting or breaking an ankle has got to be extra surely ? Unfortunately, I'm fairly sure there are companies out there that won't stick anything on :blink: Also, depends whether you've got to double up and put an inside rail on during erection for timber / steel frame jobs.

Last edited:
well i know how we would get on trying to get the client to absorb the extra costs .... a non starter !!! , u could be the best firm in the world 99% of the the time orders are placed on price first !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saying that tho dude u have an evo as a 2nd car maybe you can give me a few tips !!!

well i know how we would get on trying to get the client to absorb the extra costs .... a non starter !!! , u could be the best firm in the world 99% of the the time orders are placed on price first !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saying that tho dude u have an evo as a 2nd car maybe you can give me a few tips !!!

My tip - don't buy an Evo as a 1st or 2nd car, then you wouldn't get addicted to them in the first place :p

As for price increases, we'll all have to be working to SG4:10 come the new year, so it depends on how many scaffold companies are willing to cut their own (and the scaffold industry's) throat by absorbing the extra costs. Aside from the labour costs, with us having 70+ scaffolders of varying grades, that's the thick end of £7k just to buy the damn things in the first place :eek:

Ha as you know i had one mate - still want another haha (specilally a 10)

We brought 30 step ups , mostly sat here gathering dust !!!! , SG4 10 havent seen that yet - whats the major changes ( to be fair we have in house H&S i just dont get involved in it)

use 21's, if the job is say, 100f long, erect the first 20f, tranny it out, and slide 5 21s onto completed section.(you've got to get them up anyway) Carry on as normal, and when lift is complete use the step up's to fit the guard rail, 21's already there. No extra time,or cost involved. A no brainer really.

Top Bottom