ten metre span

paul

Reaction score
I have got this job and it has a ten metre span to bridge with unit beams and the scaffold will eventualy be twelve boarded lifts , in the past with this span i have put unit beams in and then i have put another set of unit beam on top about 300mm above the first set of beams which makes a deeper beam but what i am being told now is that to coup with the weight the supervisor wants the second set of unit beams side by side so you will end up with four rows of unit beams .
What i am keen to know is is it strong putting them on top of each other or going side by side ?
Hope i have explained it ok ?

i think its stronger to have them side by side,as this(done correctly)would make a four beam wide box beam,with proper plan bracing,cord ties,rakers,etc,hope someone tells you more.:D

ten metre span beams

Hi Paul

The beams can be stronger if they are placed above each other, but they must have the top and bottom chords to the top and bottom beams tied at every 1.2m and plan braced to the top chord of the top beam.

The puncheon standards must be fixed to the top and bottom chords of the top and bottom beams also, and the beams immediately above each other.

The beams in this arrangement will work as a deep girder beam which has a depth of 1.22m rather than a depth of the normal beams of 0.61m.

This is an arrangement for forming heavy duty spine beams which can have tubes forming pull back braces when the beams are fitted at 2.0m apart.

Do you have designs for jobs in New Zealand.

All the best

Chris Eng:)

Thanks for that thats great info.

We do have design jobs here in NZ but not designed by scaffold engineers thou , the engineers take the lead from the scaffolder and work through the calculations and tweak it if they have too , personally i would prefer to deal with a scaffold engineer who knows the job inside and out .

Thanks for that thats great info.

We do have design jobs here in NZ but not designed by scaffold engineers thou , the engineers take the lead from the scaffolder and work through the calculations and tweak it if they have too , personally i would prefer to deal with a scaffold engineer who knows the job inside and out .

We have used the layher scaffold engineers in Wellington for a job before but we thought that they over engineered the tower we were designing the balast they wanted to put in was way over the top and inpractacle. We usually draw up the scaffold and get an engineer to check the loadings over for us.

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

We actually just bought some 750mm deep beams for a 12 metre span, worked great.

NZ Designs

Hi

That is similar to Canada for the more straight forward jobs.

The scaffolders put the job up and send a sketch and photos to an engineer and he confirms if it is okay or not.

For the more complicated they get a drawing first.

All the best

Chris Eng:)

Top Bottom