c.i.s to paye (1 Viewer)

Orac

Reaction score
as from monday i left cis employment & started for a firm on paye, i don't get any travel expenses from them, can i still claim my mileage i'm doing going from site to site? do i have to keep records of sites i've been to & the fuel receipts? is there a form i have to fill in or do i need tolet inland revenue know, any help on this guys thanks;)

Home to work get's nothing, site to site is 100%. I would keep as many records as possible as there were a spate of a lot of false claims with people claiming, getting paid and then having to re-pay for home to work. Better tax will fill in the blanks.

you only need to keep receipts if the tax man wants proof.
my mum is an accountant for the inland revenue

the trick is....
find out how much per annum your entitled to claim,
and when you do claim it,
NEVER EVER over claim....thats when they tell you they want the receipts as proof,
even on PAYE you can still claim for tools,travel,even food

but they DONT advertise these details to you
you need to find out yourself

Hi Orac,

Basically you can claim back a hell of a lot of stuff as expenses.
There was a thread on here a while ago on the subject.
I know an accountant that can help out or there is someone on here called BetterTax, Im sure he will sort you out with all the jargon.

Im PAYE but still submit a tax return each year. I no-longer get a return but I now pay around £500 a year less tax as its donr through my tax code.

are you using your motor from site to site,as most insurance dont cover this,to and from work is ok.just letting you know.:D

No need to inform Revenue and customs

Keep paying your self employed stamps.

Keep a record of all deductions your new employer makes as regards National insurance and Tax should all be on your wage slips.

At the end of this tax year,make out your tax return as if you are self employed for the whole year in the normal way claiming all your business expenses and declaring the tax/NI paid in your new employ added to what was deducted on CIS.Your earnings will be added together from both PAYE and self employed earnings to produce your turnover for the year.deduct your allowable expenses to produce your profit.

I have done this on at least 3 occasions over the past 10 years

I am assuming you are still employed within the construction industry

Hi Orac,
From what you say, it seems that you will still be submitting a yearly Self Assesment so that will make things easier.
Most of the replies you've had here are right,
(except perhaps the one that says "find out how much per annum you're entitled to claim" - as its somewhat misleading)... so there is not much I can add, and the reply from 'Rigger' is clearly excellent... very comprehensive & accurate, great advice Rigger.:cool:

Anyway,in reply to your question (& apologies as I've come at this back to front) but yes you are entiled to claim. The rule of thumb I give all my tradesmen is "if it is a cost that is attributable to the carrying out of your profession - then I want to know about it" - & frankly I find that from the info they give me, there is usually very little of it that cannot legally be claimed for in one way or another. :)
HTH

The company I work for supply tools and pay travelling expenses , quite frankly the tools are crap and I have to pay for two weeks parking when I go offshore . Can I claim for the tools I buy myself and work gear I buy myself , and possibly the parking fees , sorry for gatecrashing this thread .

Clarification is excellent - i spend bot 300 a week on fags and bacardi , can i claim any of that back as of the stresses that go with my job here ?? True work expenses

Ha ha I don`t pay tax on me fags Scaffy as long as I don`t get caught . I am with you on the booze side of things and lets face it you have to try and get anything going (they take it off you quick enough ) and I have to pay my golf club fees some way lol .

never really got into golf mate , to sensible ha ha

The company I work for supply tools and pay travelling expenses , quite frankly the tools are crap and I have to pay for two weeks parking when I go offshore . Can I claim for the tools I buy myself and work gear I buy myself , and possibly the parking fees , sorry for gatecrashing this thread .
Sometimes even when an employer pays travelling expenses there are still travel expenses to be claimed (for example you use your own vehicle and your employer pays you 25p per mile travel... there will be further money for someone like me to go claim for you)
re: your tools Q. if you are using your tools because you're having to due to the supplied tools being unable to do the job satisfactorily - then I would argue that there is a claim to be made against the tools, and if you have to pay the parking fees in order to do your job (which it sounds like you do), then yes I would agree that you should claim for your parking too.

BTW.I totally agree about fags & booze guys, but unfortunately I was told in no uncertain terms that because I would be doing them even when I'm not working... I therefore cannot claim that they are what help me to do my job well
And no, you cannot claim for a 'mucky lady' either... just forget it:unsure:

Last edited:
Ha ha I don`t pay tax on me fags Scaffy as long as I don`t get caught . I am with you on the booze side of things and lets face it you have to try and get anything going (they take it off you quick enough ) and I have to pay my golf club fees some way lol .

Have they reduced fag prices offshore? Last time I was offshore for Shell fags were same price the reason given was Shells anti smoking and health policy.

do they let you smoke on the rigs then ???

Yes they have allocated smoking areas , any non smoking areas are usually known as gay bars . BP AND SHELL charge full price for ciggies but the other oil companies don`t . Its the catering company on board who set the price of the fags about £30 a sleeve .

Top Bottom