Harness

TomP

Reaction score
Ok guys il try an attach some photos here, i know one of them is a dodgy blurred picture but im sure you'll get the idea.

This harness was manufactured in 2006, its had its fair share of work, when it was taken in to our new scaffold manager he deemed this harness in good order and ok for use! What do you guys think????!!!!:wondering::confused::amazed:

Attachments

• Harness2.jpg
    Harness2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Harness.jpg
    Harness.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 38
if it was a seatbelt ,it would fail the mot.i for one wunt use it.ive cut better than that up.tell your boss to try it out,if it dont snap you will wear it.:D

Thats no good, cut it up and throw it away, tell him to supply another !!

that is an accident waiting to happen, cut the fooker up :eek:

Ha ha your all thinking along the same lines as us!

This is my mates mine has a pluck in the webbing and i would consider that dodgy but my mates is just goosed and he ok'd it on the 11 August!

some dodgy firms pass dodgy harnesses to save money however they must be identifiable by a serial number, if the stitching on the clear plastic comes undone and the paper identifying strip falls out and gets lost they have no option but to give you another harness

If you write on it in marker pen you should throw it away let alone damage like that!! :eek:

never seen it its fooked m8 cut it up and ask 4 new 1 he cant refuse i have the ticket 2 inspect them and thats had it

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

were u working tom

You are by law required to inspect any fall arrest equipment befor use.

If you are in any doubt as to its integrity do not use it,report the defaults to your line manager

So far so good you have followed procededure it is the idiot that you are working for that is breaking the law by not replacing your equipment.

Real world

Refuse to wear harness

* save photo,s and take more different angles
*get workmates to verify condition of harness and sign statement to that effect
*keep log of conversations between you and manager date,time what was said have a mate with you to act as witness.

Be prepared to go to Tribunal for unfair dismisal

Report to NASC if a member
Report to HSE local office,take names of who you speak to
Report to local council,take names of who you speak to
report to Union if you are a member

You are by law required to inspect any fall arrest equipment befor use.

If you are in any doubt as to its integrity do not use it,report the defaults to your line manager

So far so good you have followed procededure it is the idiot that you are working for that is breaking the law by not replacing your equipment.

Real world

Refuse to wear harness

* save photo,s and take more different angles
*get workmates to verify condition of harness and sign statement to that effect
*keep log of conversations between you and manager date,time what was said have a mate with you to act as witness.

Be prepared to go to Tribunal for unfair dismisal

Report to NASC if a member
Report to HSE local office,take names of who you speak to
Report to local council,take names of who you speak to
report to Union if you are a member

You forgot you can now also report it to the SCCR, we will be happy to help if we can. Even if you are not a member, you might be afterwards!!! :D

Thanks Rigger!!!

Dave 2 b i'd prefer not to name the company or the scaffold manager that has just come in but it's a small firm in Bolton!

After 14 years i thought i had quite a good angle on this sort of stuff but i had to just sit there and laugh! "you will wear all your PPE at all times including your harness< if i catch you with out you get one warning then your down the road!"

lets be honest in risk ass ppe is last resort why do it that is you last defence because they cant get risk down anymore

"you will wear all your PPE at all times including your harness< if i catch you with out you get one warning then your down the road!"

I fully agree with you Mr Employer and you will supply me with all PPE "fit for purpose" at no cost to myself,as stated in the Health & Safety at work act 1974
Section 2 (2)
a) safe plant and systems of work
b) safe use,handling,storage and transport of articles or substances
c) Any required information,instruction, training and supervision
d) A safe place of work, including safe access and egress
e) A safe work environment with adequat welfare facilities

Section 9 No cost to employees

Employees cannot be charged for anything done,or provided in the interest of health & safety law.

Sorry Ragscaff, And inform the S.C.C.R

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

Last edited:
Sorry Ragscaff :noworry:, my fingers went for the keyboard and it was posted before I checked myself :rolleyes:

In New Zealand we are required to do fall and erest course , well i was on mine and the gezzer teaching the course asked us to show him our harnesses which we did one by one and one by one he took a knife to them and cut them up as he said they were f***ed even thou we do a quick daily inspection and a good inspection once a week

I had one inspected on my site by our supervisor and he deemed it ok, only for our h&s officer to fail it, when I told supervisor he had failed it his response was" yeah well he don't have to pay for a new one" nuff said really always comes back to money not the lads life that was wearing it

On the flip side lads, there are a lot of people in our industry that take our harnesses for granted, many a time I have had to pull people up about the way they treat their harnesses......left on the floor to be kicked about in the changing room, left in the corner soaking wet.
At the end of the day they need to be hung up ready for the next day and inspected before the start of work every day.
If we all looked after them in the first place the gaffers good and bad will get the message that they are important to us.

rant over...............:amazed:

Top Bottom