Signage for scaffolds

Dave_Ja_Vu

Reaction score
Right, yet another stupid thing from a contractor.

He has said he isnt happy with the stock loading bay signage we put on the loading bays. We use signs from stock that state Warning, maximum load of 10Knm2.

Im happy with these signs but initially this idiot wanted signs to say something like 1 pack of blocks and 1 bin of muck. When I explained hat the problem with this is that different pallets of blocks weigh different amounts and weigh even more when theyre wet he just looked at me all confused :)weird:) and wandered off.
Now he's saying that he wants the signs to say the weights in kilograms. Now Im not really happy to go along this route either. In my opinion, if site managers and other trades are too ignorant to understand the weight of the materials thay are placing on the scaffolds then thats their problem to address. Had an argument with him along these lines a few weeks ago.

Whats your take on this guys? Do you think I should look into doing this for them or tell him to poke it and educate his contractors?

i go with him educating them.some pay back is better than none.:Dthen we will find out if brickies can write,and do maths.:D:D

What a tit all the trades should work to the loadings given. If you give a weight restiction its down to the person whos loading to stay within this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next you will have to supply nappies!!

Right, yet another stupid thing from a contractor.

He has said he isnt happy with the stock loading bay signage we put on the loading bays. We use signs from stock that state Warning, maximum load of 10Knm2.

Im happy with these signs but initially this idiot wanted signs to say something like 1 pack of blocks and 1 bin of muck. When I explained hat the problem with this is that different pallets of blocks weigh different amounts and weigh even more when theyre wet he just looked at me all confused :)weird:) and wandered off.
Now he's saying that he wants the signs to say the weights in kilograms. Now Im not really happy to go along this route either. In my opinion, if site managers and other trades are too ignorant to understand the weight of the materials thay are placing on the scaffolds then thats their problem to address. Had an argument with him along these lines a few weeks ago.

Whats your take on this guys? Do you think I should look into doing this for them or tell him to poke it and educate his contractors?
Had the same thing last year, to be fair if you ask most site trades they think 1 kn is 1 tonne, therefore 10 kn is 10 tonnes which as we know is not the case. I personaly think if you can dumb it down to "1 pack of blocks and 1 tub of muck" its not a bad idea if it stops the scaffold getting overloaded + our european workmates can understand it (hopefuly)

so we should be trained in how much muck weighs in kilos,and packs of block,or bricks,whys it always us that has to change.let them work to our standards for once,fight back against this kind of crap.:mad:

jesus are you serious what a t1t.....
they are loading onto scaffold,so the weight that they are given is the weight that the scaffold is designed to hold....

he is just be ar#ehole mate.

Its us that have to do the thinking for them because we are the most well qualified and trained on site, therefore the most intelligent obviously !

it is supprising how many site personel dont know what a kilo newton is, what we tend todo is talk to the banksman or fork lift driver and tell them 1 pallet bricks and 1 bin of muck no more, you are bang on numb they should know what there loads weigh and it is down to them,but if your making money who gives a damn ,we got a site where the crane conter balance is 2 meters above the top lift, and what signs do they put up "hard hats must be worn" not look out for the f ******* crane :) :) :)

Still what a tit. Some sites down here do not know what 1 working lift is. we do scaffolds to 2kn 6 lifts & they sill load all lifts with cornish block.

How many sites load direct onto the scaffold rather than the loading bay,,,,tits.

How many brickies load between the standards & above the top handrail ,,,,,,,,tits. must be a different world out of Cornwall!!

yep it is the real world outside cornwall

don't matter what the signs say, the will overload it anyway

Can't remember seeing and packs of bricks or blocks with the pack weight indicated on it

Interesting thread . numbnuts spot on it is always us that has to change . Although we have changed to the metric system i bet a good percentage of all construction trades are still using imperial measurments and weights

Still what a tit. Some sites down here do not know what 1 working lift is. we do scaffolds to 2kn 6 lifts & they sill load all lifts with cornish block.

How many sites load direct onto the scaffold rather than the loading bay,,,,tits.

How many brickies load between the standards & above the top handrail ,,,,,,,,tits. must be a different world out of Cornwall!!

Nor really Ragscaff, it's the same here, and from my observations same all over the country.

Im quite prepared to stick to my guns on this. I dont see how this muppet can justify that we have to provide specially made signs just because HE cant understand what a stock, bought off the shelf loading bay sign tells him.

Like I said before, ALL trades need to be educated on what the loadings on scaffolds are and what it means to them. Surely this isnt asking much when they do their college courses just like our lads have to? Cant THEY be taught what a stack of bricks/blocks equate to when the lifts are bumped out? Cant the site managers learn this when they supposedly do their CDM courses?

Probably not....as usual it will be down to us, scaffs and supervisors.

Got to be one of the daftest requests I've ever come across, and I have worked for some total fuds in my time. Never easy to tell a customer to eff off, but this guy is just begging for it.

Im quite prepared to stick to my guns on this. I dont see how this muppet can justify that we have to provide specially made signs just because HE cant understand what a stock, bought off the shelf loading bay sign tells him.

Like I said before, ALL trades need to be educated on what the loadings on scaffolds are and what it means to them. Surely this isnt asking much when they do their college courses just like our lads have to? Cant THEY be taught what a stack of bricks/blocks equate to when the lifts are bumped out? Cant the site managers learn this when they supposedly do their CDM courses?

Probably not....as usual it will be down to us, scaffs and supervisors.

Most forks / cranes should give a weight reading!

This forum is becoming a real education to me (obviously cos I am a girl and therefore, what do I know!?).

I've never heard of kilonewtons so I looked it up

"1 kN equals 101.97162 kilograms of load, but multiplying the kN value by 100 (i.e. using a slightly pessimistic and easier to calculate value) is a good rule of thumb"

I doubt I'll ever need to know it but it does seem to be the thing to use in construction! :amuse:

And even though my opinion is of no consequence, I'd say that if everyone else accepts your signs then surely that should suffice.

From a H & S viewpoint, is there a directive of what signs should say? (lol or am I just talking cack now? :unsure:)

Phil, Is that to do with Force x Gravity = Mass? ;)

Or is it more to do with The Work-Energy Theorem, which states that the work done on a body is equal to the change in energy of the body? :p

Top Bottom