Falling Scaffold Board (1 Viewer)

HatterScaff

Reaction score
A PATIENT has called for an inquiry after he was nearly hit by a falling scaffolding board at Southend Hospital.

Terence Brown was walking through the main entrance when a 20ft-long plank fell from the top of the building and narrowly missed him and an elderly couple.

The board landed two feet in front of a woman in a wheelchair and then it fell across the road, just missing a car.

Mr Brown, 64, of North Road, Westcliff, said: “There is no doubt if the board had hit the lady it would have killed her.

“I stood still in shock. No attention was given to the man with the lady in the wheelchair.

“There were no safety barriers to protect the public from any falling scaffold boards.

“They are pulling their scaffolding down right outside the main entrance to the hospital.

“I thought this was dangerous because people are walking underneath it.

“It should never have been allowed to happen.

“I had to make a statement. I am going to a lawyer to sue for negligence.

“I want an inquiry into it. It came down with a crash. It was scary stuff.”

The scaffolding is up at the hospital while windows are being replaced. John Gilham, the hospital’s chief executive, apologised to patients.

He said: “We very much regret this incident and the distress it may have caused to our patients and visitors in the vicinity, particularly the elderly couple.

“We have been in urgent discussion with our contractors, Connaught, who have halted all its scaffold operations while investigations are carried out.”

The incident has been reported to the Health and Safety Executive.

A spokesman for Connaught said: “We are currently investigating an incident in which a scaffold board fell from height while being removed from our site at Southend Hospital.

“We are awaiting a report from our scaffolding contractor and in the meantime we have suspended work on the site.”

So if this '20 ft-long plank' didn't hit this Terence Brown character, cause him any harm or damage any of his property, what exactely is he going to sue for?

probly claim for making him jump,i wonder if the 20ft board was a youngerman board,and maybe nowt to do with the scaffolders.:cool:

Thankfully no one was hurt and we are grateful for that, but on the flip side least he was at the right place had it hit him, no long wait for an ambulance, stuck him on a v barrow and pushed him in to A & E :laugh:

"doctor doctor i think i'm a scaffold plank"
"I thought you looked board"
(sorry, i'm just getting me coat") :)

they use them boards over in holland they spread over 2 x 2.5mtr bays in layher.They were pretty heavy but it made it so much easier untill you had 2 gangs there..Thumbs up for them...

Top Bottom