2m is enough to cause a problem (1 Viewer)

C

ChrisEng

Hi

Article I found on a recently completed court case.

£ 8000 is a reasonable amount, but sometimes the fines seem low for the risks and injuries. Not much of a deterent really.

Just goes to show that only 2m can cause serious problems.

Take care out there.

Chris Eng

Worker fell through open scaffold edge
At Newcastle-under-Lyme Magistrates' Court Klarius UK Ltd of Cheadle, Staffs, was fined £8K plus £1,892 in costs over an accident in August 2009 in which a worker fell more than 2 metres from a scaffold tower and fractured a vertebra and crushed another, rendering him immobile for 6 weeks. During machine maintenance he had been stooping to find an oil leak and possibly overbalanced as he stood up.
Investigation established that a guardrail had never been present on one edge of the scaffold as it was felt that it would interfere with access to the machine.
The company pleaded guilty to a breach of Regulation 6(3) of the Work at Height Regulations 2005. 4th August 2010

Hi

Article I found on a recently completed court case.

£ 8000 is a reasonable amount, but sometimes the fines seem low for the risks and injuries. Not much of a deterent really.

Just goes to show that only 2m can cause serious problems.

Take care out there.

Chris Eng

Worker fell through open scaffold edge
At Newcastle-under-Lyme Magistrates' Court Klarius UK Ltd of Cheadle, Staffs, was fined £8K plus £1,892 in costs over an accident in August 2009 in which a worker fell more than 2 metres from a scaffold tower and fractured a vertebra and crushed another, rendering him immobile for 6 weeks. During machine maintenance he had been stooping to find an oil leak and possibly overbalanced as he stood up.
Investigation established that a guardrail had never been present on one edge of the scaffold as it was felt that it would interfere with access to the machine.
The company pleaded guilty to a breach of Regulation 6(3) of the Work at Height Regulations 2005. 4th August 2010

Nice one Chris, Work at Height Regs 2005 is what we will always be up against. "suitable measures" again.

Worth Abbey looks nice, what do you think? ;)

even though everything is out there advance guardrails step up sg:05 human error is still a killer

Hi Scaff

Hi

Thanks for useful comment.

Keith showed me some photos of Worth Abbey, will put our website when he has given them to me.

All the best

Chris

surely the lack of guard rail should of meant a prohibition tag, therefore making the person using it responsible rather than the company erecting it ?

Was this a ALI Tower?
or a proper scaffold tower
as every platform no matter how or what constructed of is deemed a scaffold

Top Bottom