Payout For Goole Scaffolder (1 Viewer)

SF Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
A former scaffolder from Goole East Yorkshire was recently awarded compensation in respect of serious brain injuries suffered in 2005. Patrick O’Malley, a former employee of Powertherm Access Services, was seriously injured when a scaffolding gantry gave way while he was working on it. It was discovered that this work accident was caused by the employer’s negligence.

Following advice from his trade union, Mr O’Malley’s family launched a personal injury compensation claim against Powertherm. The former employer made an out of court settlement this week for an undisclosed sum. However, it states that the fault lies with the scaffolding equipment provider and has launched a legal claim against them.

Cases similar to that of Mr O’Malley occur with regularity within the construction industry. The nature of building work and the dangerous tools and equipment employed make it a minefield for Health and Safety management. Unsurprisingly, work accidents are frequent and compensation claims are on the increase. This is driven primarily by the increasing awareness of legal expertise in this field. Lawyers now offer “no win no fee” support, effectively removing the economic barriers to making a personal injury compensation claim.

Mr O’Malley came close to death, but after four years in hospital he has finally been able to come home. His mother was grateful for the support that the Unite trade union provided during the legal process. She is also happy and relieved that the settlement will allow her to provide full time care to her son.

5 Years its taken to get compensation, Whats that mother had to use to keep the constant care needed for her son.Bet she had to use any savings she had an probably remorgage her house to fund the care required. Its a joke it takes so long to get a payout. Wish a fellow scaff brother and his family all the best for the future, and hope the money will help him to be as comfortable as possible and to lead a more bearable life.

... and then they settle out of court any way !!

5 Years its taken to get compensation, Whats that mother had to use to keep the constant care needed for her son.Bet she had to use any savings she had an probably remorgage her house to fund the care required. Its a joke it takes so long to get a payout. Wish a fellow scaff brother and his family all the best for the future, and hope the money will help him to be as comfortable as possible and to lead a more bearable life.

That's insurance companies for you!

i used to work for them and beleive me theres no suprises there, espesially in the way of time that it took to pay up!! And to top it all it sounds like they tried there hardest to get away with it!!! Doesnt suprise me that the gear was crap either, it always was. Good luck to Mr O Malley i just hope he got what he wanted!!!!

i used to work for them and beleive me theres no suprises there, espesially in the way of time that it took to pay up!! And to top it all it sounds like they tried there hardest to get away with it!!! Doesnt suprise me that the gear was crap either, it always was. Good luck to Mr O Malley i just hope he got what he wanted!!!!

I'm sure like all of us all he wanted was to earn a living an live a decent life.All thats taken away from him now. my sympathies go out to him and his family. Its acceptable that the employer can earn his bread from the sweat of his workers, but not from their blood. Brandy.

I personally had alot to do with this as Paddy was and still is a Top bloke.. Absolute tragedy that he can no longer be on the tools.. I was with him in intensive care at the queens hospital nottingham and then goole hospital before he was moved to Stockbridge in sheffield.. the last time i saw him they were trying to get him walking again.. A devoted Leeds fan and I hope the settlement figure is adiquate for the care that he will need for the the rest of his life but me knowing paddy He would still to this day rather be fit and well and going from boiler to boiler.He lived and breathed scaffolding.. I'll give georgous a bell later....

Took me nearly 2.5 years to get my compensation for an on site accident. Had to sell a bunch of militaria stuff I used to collect to pay the mortgage etc, luckilly I ws only off work for 6 weeks but the bills still needed to be paid.

The guys insurance company advised him to setle out of court but he wanted to fight it....and lost.

Things like this can finish a family, shouldnt be allowed to happen.

Its sad that the insurers insist on taking an age to settle these claims

We opted to go with Quinns, as there policy was to try and settle any claims within 28 days!!!
I thought that this was a good idea

But alas now they have all but gone and we will have to deal with the others who like to drag their feet :mad:

One problem is the dogdy claims, we had one where the IP was DISABLED and could no longer work
We found him a few months later working for another!!!!

To be honest Im not impressed with Quinns, we have a current claim which I dont think they are handling very well on our part. Cant go into any details on an open forum as its still a live case. But basically you might as well grease yourself up, bend over and say 'come and fcuk me boys'.

Quinns are a nightmare had a couple of policies with them , used to take for ever and a day to get a claim processed(vehicles) and waiting for paperwork to get to the uk from cavan was a mission
Was told they cant trade in the uk anymore as they are in some sort of administration , also had issue certain main contractors would not accept a quinn policy as well

Top Bottom