Breaks

kev-c

Reaction score
What are the rules on Breaks , can employers class Travelling to a job your break ?

Hi mate

Will get back to you over the WKD regarding your Thread, First impressions NO.

Will post some , Leg soon mate.

Regards
Paddy

No they can't , it's law you have to have certain rest period during the working day, and travelling is not classed as rest

NO they cant the same as you dont get paid until you reach work (unless you got got a really good boss)

I think 4 hours is the limit you can work. Then you have a break.

This is another grey area of what rights we have,there are a lot of local agreements in place Timings of breaks and duration and we all know they differ from site to site.

below is what the HSE state on thier website

"The Working Time Regulations 1998[1] state the following provision for rest breaks at work and time off:
Rest breaks at work

A worker is entitled to an uninterrupted break of 20 minutes when daily working time is more than six hours. It should be a break in working time and should not be taken either at the start, or at the end, of a working day.
Daily rest

Under the Working Time Regulations 1998, regulation 10, a worker is entitled to a rest period of 11 consecutive hours rest in each 24 hour period during which he works for his employer.
However, there are a number of special circumstances in which the entitlement to rest periods does not apply, for example, where the activities involve a need for continuity of service or production or where there is a foreseeable surge of activity. Also, if a shift worker changes shift, it may not be possible for them to take their full rest entitlement before starting the new pattern of work. In such a case the entitlement to daily and weekly rest does not apply.
Weekly rest

An adult worker is also entitled to one day off a week; this can be averaged over 2 weeks.
Young or adolescent workers

If a young worker is required to work more than four and a half-hours at a time, then they are entitled to a break of 30 minutes. A young worker is also entitled to twelve uninterrupted hours in each 24-hour period in which they work. Both these entitlements can only be altered or excluded in exceptional circumstances. Young workers are also entitled to 2 days off each week and this cannot be averaged over 2 weeks.
There is a free guidance produced by the DTI (Department of Trade and Industry), which can provide more information."

I only ask this as i have just started a new job and they say that the managment dont like them having breaks and that they have there breaks travelling to and from jobs. and i thought , they cant do that , so i made sure that i have my breaks and the other lads can do what they want . so thanks lads i just wanted to make sure im not in the wrong by taking my breaks as normal.

I only ask this as i have just started a new job and they say that the managment dont like them having breaks and that they have there breaks travelling to and from jobs. and i thought , they cant do that , so i made sure that i have my breaks and the other lads can do what they want . so thanks lads i just wanted to make sure im not in the wrong by taking my breaks as normal.

Good on you Kev,Always eat well thats your fuel no man is a machine plus its your health not the managments ;)

Is the wagon driver eating a sarnie and having a cuppa when driving?:eek:

The employer normally pays for your Morning and Afternoon break. However, if you work from 8.00am to 4.30 pm you will find that is a 8.5hr shift, meaning you pay for your own lunch break of 30 mins, as you only get paid 39hrs a week (Construction). During your lunch, you are entitled to leave your workstation as it is your own free time. However, the days of going to the pub for a 'Pie and 3 swift pints' is a thing of the past,(it is in Geordieland anyway).:sad:

Regards
Paddy

Kev c that firm sounds toss there gana rub the blokes up the wronge way
straight away.we ante machines. Bet they got pinoculors.too lol

They are a real sh*t Company , i'm only here until something better comes along . Have you ever heard of a Woman Owning a scaffold company ? . . . she doesnt have a clue and she doesnt know how to treat the men . some of them have been there for 8 years so she must have wipped them into shape , but i have never heard any of them say anything nice about her . she pays them £8.50ph , she doesnt have a tag man , so none of the jobs are getting tagged and some of the jobs i have been on allready would not even pass an inspection so god knows how the company is still running

An empty sack wont stand up by itself,need yer breaks to recharge..:D

£8.50 an hour that must be illegal mate , trouble is these people just go through men so they dont give a f ****

whipped them into shape in her dungeon.hmmmmmmm,any vacancies il paye her 850 lol.

Went there today and got put with these two lads , one of them is polish . he has been there 5 years , no cards or nowt . but he is still erecting scaffold. first thing they donw was went and bought 8 cans i couldnt believe it .i took a few pictures of the job . it is a discrace . i cant believe im working for a company with such low standards . what do i do or who do i see to report them . dont want to be a grass but its peoples lives we are talking about here . and i know there are good scaffolders out there. but this is a joke

Went there today and got put with these two lads , one of them is polish . he has been there 5 years , no cards or nowt . but he is still erecting scaffold. first thing they donw was went and bought 8 cans i couldnt believe it .i took a few pictures of the job . it is a discrace . i cant believe im working for a company with such low standards . what do i do or who do i see to report them . dont want to be a grass but its peoples lives we are talking about here . and i know there are good scaffolders out there. but this is a joke

Let's have a look at the pictures dude.

how do i put them on

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Done it !

jack in kev !! better off looking elsewhere !!

Top Bottom