Looking to become a scaffolder (1 Viewer)

harpo1878

Reaction score
Hey guys

Just posting for some advice and information.I am seriously considering starting a career in the scaffold industry. I understand that the 1st port of call is the part 1, two week scaffold qualification however i havent had any experience within the industry. I have however heard storys of people successfully completing the part 1 course who have never picked up a pole in there life. Am prepared to pay for the course myself but just a bit worried i would nt pass it with my lack of experience. Any information and advice would be much appreciated.

P.s part of a module (plumbing course) i did at college did involve me putting up a scaffold tower.Would that help????

Thanks Neil

Hey guys

Just posting for some advice and information.I am seriously considering starting a career in the scaffold industry. I understand that the 1st port of call is the part 1, two week scaffold qualification however i havent had any experience within the industry. I have however heard storys of people successfully completing the part 1 course who have never picked up a pole in there life. Am prepared to pay for the course myself but just a bit worried i would nt pass it with my lack of experience. Any information and advice would be much appreciated.

P.s part of a module (plumbing course) i did at college did involve me putting up a scaffold tower.Would that help????

Thanks Neil

Neil

Right. Your first port of call is to stop calling tubes 'poles'. Also refrain from calling boards 'planks' and fittings 'clips'

Your second port of call is to get yourself a cscs card and get a job labouring with a reputable scaffolding contractor.

The rest will follow.

Good luck mate.

Hello Neil
First things first. NEVER USE THE WORD POLE! Its tube from now on.

The first thing I would do in your position is to phone around a few local scaffold company's asking are they looking for any new labourers. Don't be disheartened by the first few calls if you get knocked back. If they say no ask them can you leave your contacts details for future referance. Tell them you have no experiance but you are willing to learn and work hard. I would not waste any cash on a part1 course yet it's a lot of money to spend especially if a few months later you find the jobs not to your liking and you might get a start with a firm and be expected to do more than you are capable of. Although I have heard of a foundation course which might be more usefull. If you are persistent you will get a start somewhere
good luck

Hi Neil, and welcome to the forum. The first thing I would say to you is that it's not a pole but a tube, small point I know but in this trade attention to detail matters. The next thing I would suggest is only pay for courses as a last resort, there are plenty firms out there to badger long before you have to part with your hard earned cash. The part 1 course is only the training part and you will not be tested until you go back and do your part 2, as with most things the difficult part is your meant to have a minimum of 6 months site experience with a scaffold firm before you go to college but there is way's and means round that. I am sorry to tell you that the tower you built for the plumbers course will bare no resemblance to what you will do as a scaffolder. As long as you are prepared to work hard there is no reason why scaffolding will not provide you with a good living and you are already ahead of the game by being on this forum giving you access to lot of experience that most folk would kill for.

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Sorry guy's, no one had posted before I started. :embarrest:

Hi Neil, and welcome to the forum. The first thing I would say to you is that it's not a pole but a tube, small point I know but in this trade attention to detail matters. The next thing I would suggest is only pay for courses as a last resort, there are plenty firms out there to badger long before you have to part with your hard earned cash. The part 1 course is only the training part and you will not be tested until you go back and do your part 2, as with most things the difficult part is your meant to have a minimum of 6 months site experience with a scaffold firm before you go to college but there is way's and means round that. I am sorry to tell you that the tower you built for the plumbers course will bare no resemblance to what you will do as a scaffolder. As long as you are prepared to work hard there is no reason why scaffolding will not provide you with a good living and you are already ahead of the game by being on this forum giving you access to lot of experience that most folk would kill for.

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Sorry guy's, no one had posted before I started. :embarrest:

Do I win a prize?

Yeah, you get to take Neil out and teach him to punt a paddy.:eek:

welcome to the mad house mate,as others have said,its a new language this game,if and when you get a start,you have to be like a sponge,and soak all the info in that you can,theres a lot of numbers to learn,ie,handrail height,board lengths,etc etc .ask loads of questions,and take in what you are told,good luck,brent.

u will never make a scaffolder as ur a crap plumber :0)

harpo 1878 nasc and cisrs ante worried about exsperience.as long as you paye your eighteen hundred m8. but good luck in the future any way m8.

My advice is depending on your age that is don't re-train as a scaff, the crack ain't what it used to be, health and safety is killing the trade as we knew it and the money ain't gone up in years but the bosses that can't afford to give rises can afford new range rovers every year

My advice is depending on your age that is don't re-train as a scaff, the crack ain't what it used to be, health and safety is killing the trade as we knew it and the money ain't gone up in years but the bosses that can't afford to give rises can afford new range rovers every year

Bjc

that is so true mate!! so TRUE!

Nothing like a bit of encouragement! :D

Very good point bjc,The scaffolding game is a very physical job/alright up to your 40s if you,ve looked afteryourself, but working in all kinds of weather eventually takes its toll. By the time you're in your 50s the arthritis is taking hold, the old 9 10 jack is giving you jip and the chips n peas start to sieze along with the elbow joints/and thats before you hit your 60s - my advice to you Neil stay with the plumming as its less demanding on the body/ this scaffolding game is going through alot of changes which all looks good on paper but has took the spirit out of the job along with the money..... but if a lifetime of aching bones and crap money is what you're after go for it!

Hi mate ive just turned 30 and i live just outside liverpool

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

cheeky ******* tez lol. lets just hope they dont carry out random drug tests on you. Dont want you gettin the sack for bein a sted head lol

Top Bottom