Scaffolders Study Group (1 Viewer)

Garry Adams

Reaction score
To all and Sundry in General and Active Forum Members in Particular.

The Scaffolders Study Group is Now Open for the Purposes of mutual Studies and Enlightenment.

It is up to YOU, Use it or Loss.

Fraternal regards

Garry...

goodfella

Thank for your rapid response---you may contribute anything you wish, of which will be gratefully received and faithfully applied.

Make your way to the Scaffold Study Group and deposit what you may.

Garry...

not sure if i can contribute but i'd sure like to pick some brains :embarrest:

usual i know but advanced inspection bring it into line with the rest of cisrs did one last year [needed it to get by fortunately for me a quick route to a so called qualification]only scaff on it rest were suits when the likes of them start giving you gibber jabber on site after a two day course its their health and safety gotta worry about. unrelated but bring back assessed route for quals i was on ecitb had to start again part one 25 years in the game counts for nothing

Steve

Dont hide your light under a bushall---20 year in the game---all contributions are Wellcome---pick and pock O' yi like---thats what it all about, sharing experiences and learning from others---fire away Man---Iv yet to meet a Glasgow Man with nothing to say ;) ( all in the best possible taste, nae harm meant, Steve )

best regards

Garry...

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

goodfell

With regard to the Scaffold Inspection Course, I know exactly where your coming from and this Topic has been discussed on other Posts, if Suits are passing the Course that indicates to me that the Course Curriculum is not testing enough---in your view did the Course content cover enough in depth issues ?---or was it to easy ?

Garry...

SF Admin

Thanks for that, we shall require high visibility proclamation and promotional campaign to get the Study initiative off the ground.

Thanks to the Member who have signed up to the Group---it is still a work in progress---however, I will be Posting my chosen Study Subject very soon.

Garry...

From little acorns,big oaks grow .Think the snowball may be rolling .......

daz

Iv planted the seed, its up to the Forum Members to Cultivate it.

I am trying to get some space to attach Documents, i.e. Basic Information, Instruction and Training---still a Work in Progress---however, should be up and running soon.

Garry...

garry. a big well done garry. i have training notes for advanced course,modules 1, 2 ,3. some course questions to give scaffs idea of what is required, will upload as soon as i get enough time
to everyone else. this is a golden opportunity for us all to share info, ask questions, pick brains, and maybe make changes to the industry that we want, lets not waste it. good luck.

millwall

I admire your initiative, course modules the very thing to give the Lads and insight into what to expect when the sign-up for the Courses---moreover, it will give the Candidates an opportunity to question and add Topics and Issues to the curriculum.

As you say---this is a golden opportunity to claw back our Industry from the hands of the Butchers, Bakers and Candle Stick Makers.

Raise Questions, Raise the Bench Marks, Raise the Standards...

Garry...

[/COLOR]goodfell

With regard to the Scaffold Inspection Course, I know exactly where your coming from and this Topic has been discussed on other Posts, if Suits are passing the Course that indicates to me that the Course Curriculum is not testing enough---in your view did the Course content cover enough in depth issues ?---or was it to easy ?

Garry...[/QUOTE]

It doesn't really matter how difficult the course content is, because when the test at the end comes, if you can refer to the paperwork that you've been given during the course for the answers, no one can/should fail.

This is what happened on the Advanced Inspection course that i did a couple of years ago. I've been in the game since the late Seventies and don't claim to know everything about the erection and use of scaffolding, but i do know more than some of the QS's and Architect's that were on the course with me.

Come the test however, and the instructor encouraged the use of the handed out documentation to answer the questions. Most on the course opened the folder and proceeded to copy the answers as required.

Sadly, only myself and one other (another long time Scaffolder), answered the questions from memory. We both passed - but so did all the others of course !

The instructor explained to the group that they almost always got 100% pass rate, i wonder why ??

Obviously they are doing this to help 'sell' their services to companies trying to get this training for their employees, but it completely de-values the training and has serious consequences for the guys working on the scaffolds that they are supposed to be inspecting and signing off.

I completely fail to understand the 'dumming down' of training in the Scaffolding industry. It appears that overseas 'Scaffolders' can arrive on these shore's and after minimal training, be trusted to become fully fledged Scaffolders. Middle and senior management can become Advanced Scaffolding Inspectors by parting with a few hundred quid and copying the answers to the final test from a folder, whilst all the time the HSE people (of whom i am also one), bleat on about falls from height being a major cause of accidents in this country.

Every time that i hear about a Scaffold collapse, i think of the failure that must have happened at some point in the Scaffolds design, erection, use or dismantling, to cause that collapse to occur. Other than in very, very extreme weather conditions, the fault lies with someone involved with the supply or use of the Scaffolding in the first place and if we as a country allow poorly trained people to erect the stuff and fraudulently trained 'managers-of-something-else' to inspect and advise on the stuff, we are only going backwards in the industry - and remember, as the dumming down of standards occur, you will all find a general dumming down of your wage packets occuring. Anyone noticed that ?

Please note, that the above does not apply to all in the industry and there are some 'top notch' comanies out there, but it does apply to a great number of them and i'm sure that most of you have come across them over the years.

End of the rant for today. Stay safe and don't become a statistic for the wrong reasons.

Cheers J

jonnyoneye

A excellent post and I concur with your comments and observations.

As you have eluded to the repercussions of the lack of due diligence could well be a precursor to that which happens blindly without intelligent design.

The problem with these courses are that they provide basic bench mark parameters to Statutory Scaffold Inspections---Specific Procedures are then developed by Individuals and or Scaffolding Orginisations as addendum's.

Jonnyoneye and Forum Members, a Question for you all.

What Addendum's would you include to the Course Work ?

I'll start it of with:

Physical Inspections: Covert Breaches

Safety Surveys to ensure compliance with B.S. 1138 Torque Values.

Question..!??!

Milwall,

Question mate: The Scaffolder training modules you're referring to, are they the latest release in accordance with TG20:08? The reason I joined this site in the first place was when I sent an email to a dear old mucker of mine (disguising himself as 'PW') asking for help in purchasing the latest 1 to 6 modules.

We are trying our best to train up all our Scaffolders out here in Nigeria to the latest industry specifications and guidelines. We know that they'll never actually achieve the levels that we do in the UK, but to teach someone you obviously need the supporting documentation to refer to.

I wrote to the NASC asking about purchasing all the up to date training modules and informed them of our intentions out here, which is to train the local tradesmen to the UK industry regulations as much as possible. I informed them that there would be no issuing of certificates of training, obviously they would be invalid outside of the British Isles. I was pretty disappointed at the reply I got from them to be honest, they didn't want anything to do with us out here?

If you have or know of anyone who has the modules for sale, I will gladly purchase them from you. We are trying to train guys correctly from the book and not just from our own experience.

Cheers,
Phil.

JEEZO and there was me just looking for someone to tell me what way me spannery thingy turns to tighten stuff.

All this TG20:08 and BS EN 12811-1 an SG04:05 is enough to give a bloke a sore head.

Seriously though,was Ecitb grade 4 for about 12 years then did the assessed route for the Part 2 which was basically handing you the drawing(eg:birdcage,pavement gantry, cantilever drop) then telling you to build it without any mistakes, so what would really interest me is some copies of the Advanced course work. Also could someone let me know what differences TG20:08 is going to make to the spanner hand, as in new tie formats or bracing distances etc.

Also whats the latest recommendations about fall arrest and suspension trauma, treatment and so on

Phil, have you tried just ordering the TG20:08 with the online order form?
I'm probably bein daft but you never know

Last edited:
could always upload it to a torrent site or there are plenty of free online storage sites, 4shared lets you upload files up to 200MB in size with a 10Gig limit, you just signup then upload the files and you get a link to them that you can share, means they download it from the storage site and doesn't tie up your bandwidth

Last edited:
Hi Lads.
Regarding pdf docs, e-mail them to each other for now, till our very learned brother puts his head above the parapet.
Garry i will send you TG20:08 will have to do it off my lap top, this pile of crap is working itself again.
P.S information of TUC courses posted on study group forum

Regards
Paddy

advanced course physicall inspection a joke couple of independents bits a nd pieces wrong standards out of plumb lapped boards ledgers on swivs ect schoolboy stuff Instructor thought it a joke but under fiscal pressures from above after all they are x scaffs know the score. i say save your money unless you need that bit of paper might as well be a bus ticket,didnt learn a lot. tg20 part 1 fine part 2 rocket science dear doo £145.00 Unfortunately old school one finger man wouldnt have a scooby how to get it on here

Tg20:08

I am uploading both volumes 1 & 2 of TG20:08 now so will post a link in about 30mins-1hr.

Good idea tinheads :idea:

Top Bottom