Old Aberthaw (1 Viewer)

jonnyoneye

Reaction score
I worked in Aberthaw A & B around the end of the seventies/early eighties for Cape, ISL and another company that i forget, a few times and was just wondering what had happened to some of the guys that i worked with.
I can only recollect a few names now, but would be interested if anyone has any more to add to the list and any news of where they went afterwards and what, if anything, they are up to now.
Paul Adams (Penarth), Idris Jones and Ceri Jones his son, Trammer, Moocher (now passed on), **** the Dog (Barry), Punchy Pete (Newport), Kettle + mate (Degger or something like that), Tony Hunt (Penarth, later London), Les (Lula) Hunt, Tall Paul, Steve Chick and brother (Penarth), Meurig (Thomas ? ), Smarty, Chopsy Coxy, The Looney (Brian ? - Penarth), Ray Fackrell (Supervisor), etc,.
There are many more, but no more come to mind at the moment. Most were from the valleys, but a few from other places marked where known.

Are you having a senior moment fella ?

Jones -common surname for Sheep Fanciers.
I remember 1 guy from the valleys Tom Jones bit of a singer sh*te on the spanners but.
Last I heard hes performing in Vegas.

Yep, I suppose that you could call it that.
Just thinking back over all the jobs that I've been on and remembering the characters that I've had the pleasure (or not), of working with and Aberthaw in those days was somewhere that I remember as one of the more interesting places for characters..........and also the dirtiest place I've ever worked !

Sorry, I cannot remember those names i'm afraid, but there were between 50 and 75 guys down there much of the time and as you can see from my first post, I can only now remember the names of a few sadly.

Just thinking some more, this Johny Martin, was he a short, quite stocky guy ? I have a slight recollection of someone by that name and he was of that description, but he's not someone that I knew well if it was him.

Last edited:
Aberthaw

Hi mate, just a quick reply to your post, I see old oil rig thomas 1 a month for union meetings, and live quite close to smarty, both are well, and still lively characters, drink with smarty often, love listening to the old stories .:laugh:

Thanks Bobby, it's good to hear that some of the lads are still around (and still on the spanners ?).
They probably won't remember me too well, as i was a bit younger than them at the time and probably thought of as a young imposter, but when you next see them, just say that Jonny from Penarth with the one eye, motorbike, worked with Brian Sullivan usually (no one else wanted too !), and who used to do a bit of 'whooshing' down there, was asking about them and hoping that all are well and either retired happily, or still gainfully employed.
Thanks for the reply.
Cheers,
John.

Hi mate, just a quick reply to your post, I see old oil rig thomas 1 a month for union meetings, and live quite close to smarty, both are well, and still lively characters, drink with smarty often, love listening to the old stories .:laugh:

Is smarty still amongst the horses and pony's,,worked with him when Aberthaw site services were on the station...

Yes mcduf, he's still involved with the horses and ponies, and into the terriers as well, but retired now tho, mad as a hatter, not changed a bit.

Lol, aye we had some good crack, keep terriers meself so fitted in well, is champ from clydach still alive n keeping well..??

Did a shutdown on there in 2002 ish,, for steadfast gaffer was Wayne carey, sum gud lads on there at time, ceri and a lad from valleys, any of them lads on here ?

If my memory serves me correctly, there were a few lads named Carey there around the late 70's and early 80's, so i'm pretty certain that Wayne will be related to them.
As for a guy called Ceri, was he Idris' son maybe ?

Kerry reas,Martin Meeks, lee Llewelyn Gareth Jenkins all valley boys, Rhonda and mountain ash..

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Kerry dad was terry, also a scaff on aberthaw..

Ceri Rees, I think that this was the lad I worked with in the Cracker plant at Texaco in Pembroke, in about 1981, after we had worked in Aberthaw. I'm sure that his dad was Terry, a large, thick set guy if I remember correctly. Happy times :)

Top Bottom