Becoming a Scaffolder (1 Viewer)

liam brown

Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is Liam and im looking to becoming a scaffolder, but i wont lie i have no idea where to start all the sites i have looked on or local colleges / companies dont seem to give any detailed info or any courses as what to do to become one.

If any help could be given i would be most greatful i live in the warrington area at the moment so if you know anything i.e job , courses or just general help towards me getting my foot in the door and on my way to getting qualified it would be fantastic thank you in advanced for reading this and hope to hear from you all soon.

your nearest training centre is simain risk in warrington. personally with the climate at the minute think long and hard before you do come into the game. The monies dropped by approx 30% in some area's but you could always try Interserve at Brunamond in northwich. or open the yellow pages . you have to learn to walk before you can do the talk so ask for labouring work and go from there.

yeh mate as suggested get ya cscs and start as a labourer

Contact a local firm and start at the bottom,you may find its not for you,so have a bash at labouring first before you even think about doing any scaff courses.Good luck mate,hope it works out for you..

yea thanks very much for the comments fella's my uncle is a scaffolder but hes away working at the moment so cant have a chat with him about it.

But starting from the bottom wont be a problem so first sort my CSCS card out and then look for labouring work. you have been a great help now i know where to start and how to get that first step onto the ladder :cheesy:.

if your young an got a brain ,you wont make a scaff , if you young an stupid welcome to the game lol. all the best future scaff

haha well i am not totally thick but not the brightest either :toung:. but i was wondering how does the CSCS card work is it a basic test or is there a training course etc? went onto the website only found testing days not great detail of what it actually is.

its a touch screen test liam.resonably easy but id get the test booklet first m8.for a read
upfirst.also a lot of sights want you to have a cisrs labourers ticket as well before there
let you on sight.good luck anyway m8.

haha swinny,

But yea from what i have heard its just a common sense test nothing to difficult but ill defnately get the booklet thank you lads for the help and best wishes i wish you all the best in your futures and have fun! i will keep this post updated just in case i need more wisdom or to ask some more questions to bore you with lol.

haha well i am not totally thick but not the brightest either :toung:. but i was wondering how does the CSCS card work is it a basic test or is there a training course etc? went onto the website only found testing days not great detail of what it actually is.

Get the CD ROM from WH SMITH it is the closest to the real test ( same software ) rather than the book oh and when i was revising my supervisors touchscreen my 9 year old son had a go at the basic one and passed !!
Good luck

haha so i dont think ill struggle then :p thanks i will head there as soon as i can.

okay liam am gunna tel it how it is if in ten years time u dont mind a bad back,knees wrists arms neck..... u get the picture then go for it been doin it ten years now an there isnt a part ov me that doesnt ache or crack!!! like one ov the boys said the moneys not wot it used to be and throwing tonnes ov tube n boards about all day really isnt worth the money kid i wish u all the luck in the world lad but like swinny46 said once ur in ur not gettin out!!! goodluck fella

hey Liam< pretty much everything thats been said is true, you ache like hell when you start, but 14 years later and i still love the job! there is a def sense of achievement and if you getinto a good quality gang, listen and learn never let that gang go its worth its weight in gold!

all of the above very very true and the last a defo true talkin hairy ass scaff but if its your dream well go and get it who dose ur uncle graft 4

haha i know all about the aches and pains my uncle had a fall himself and broke his back landind on some boards was in a brace for 6 months hes better now but with any job you take risks and they all come with thier pro's and con's. If life has taught me anything in this world its do what you love and when i had that short space of time working with him and his mates it was amazing a good laugh and meeting up with them after work and having a beer was as you so rightly said worth its weight in gold.

My uncle works as a contractor for Stanlow been there for years now and he earns pretty good money but at the same time he is a grafter and i respect him a hell of a lot for what he provides for his family and my cousins i want to do the same for my new familywe just had a baby boy hes 5 months now so id like to be able to provide everything he needs. Any way spoke to Simian risk and they have stated 6 months on site experience is needed before i can start my part 1 so now i know exactly what to do just need a company that will hire me haha thanks alot lads and sorry for the wall of text :D

Hello all,

I have some good news! i have finally found a company who is giving me a trial to work for them and train to be a scaffolder. It is only ally tubes with a bit of steel tubing jobs here and there but its a start and hopefully the start of something great.

I have just finished my second day my body hurts all over like i have been in the gym all day but i got to say, this is the best job ive had and hope to do it for a long time :).

thanks to all your tips, advice and help lads and ill keep popping on from time to time to see how things are going here and keep you updated. Who knows maybe one day i will be working on the steel tubing for every job :toung:

Well done Liam,hope it all works out for you mate,good luck for the future..:)

Do yourself a favour mate and think long and hard before getting into this job,I have been in the industry for 25 years and make a decent living, but it is an up hill battle all the time, it "s not what you know but how you know that counts in this job.If i had my time all over again i would have worked harder with my education at school and done something else.......... your choice.

Top Bottom