Mileage allowance. (1 Viewer)

Flynn Design Solutions

Reaction score
I called in to the, ahem! Inland Revenue yesterdy to find out how to claim back the 12p per mile I haven't been paid by my employer.
I was told that I can only claim 20% of the total owed, why?

If I was self employed I could claim 40p per mile, 5p per passenger, 24p on a motorcycle and even 20p on a bike.

Why as an employee am I not entitled to the remainder of the 40p?

Confused....:blink:

Can anyone enlighten me?

from my experience anything to do with that lot is confuing

:) thanks, steve, here we are!

It’s a small misunderstanding… a loss in translation if you will.

Yes you’re right that you could claim 40p per mile, and more importantly you still can & do, but just as equally – yes… they’re right… in that you get 20% back.

This is because that 20% is the taxable element… so that’s what you’ll get – the “tax relief”.

The ‘Taxman’ can only give you back the bit that he took… right?

Unfortunately he can’t make up for what your employer decided ‘not’ to pay you for your mileage (Oh how I wish I could make him though for my clients), but he can give you back what would be tax within it… ergo ‘the 20%’!

Hope that helps?

Hi Better Tax,

Have you ever considered writing childrens books, simple, crystal clear explanation.

Now, is the reason my employers didn't pay me the full amount because they are T**sers or because as a company their mileage is way over the 10,000 threshlod?

Cheers again..

Thanks for the compliment (I think...as i'm assuming there's no intended irony there :) )

& I'm in agreement, as frankly the HMRC jargon drives me insane... they seem to be under the impression that they are some kind of anointed uber-tax-druids of the fiat currency world!

As for your employers and their alleged self-pleasuring - I cannot possibly
either confirm nor deny your assertion sir! :blink1:

Cheers :)

Thanks for the compliment (I think...as i'm assuming there's no intended irony there :) )

& I'm in agreement, as frankly the HMRC jargon drives me insane... they seem to be under the impression that they are some kind of anointed uber-tax-druids of the fiat currency world!

either confirm nor deny your assertion sir! :blink1:

Cheers :)

BetterTAX have you not considered setting up a BTCCR Better Tax Confederation for Consultation Rights.:D

Well put sir/madam ??

either confirm nor deny your assertion sir! :D

Top Bottom